The Robin Friday Wonder Goal v Tranmere 1976

strap
Hob Nob Regular

The Robin Friday Wonder Goal v Tranmere 1976

by strap » 25 Mar 2012 12:09

For those of you who still doubt it ever happened, try to find the Peter Crouch goal for Stoke v Spurs on Saturday on iPlayer or YouTube.

Crouch's goal was the nearest I have seen to Friday goal. I still think Friday had to swivel through 180 degress rather than crouch's 150, and Friday teed the ball up for the volley with his knee rather than his toe, but it is the closest rendition of the classic goal that I have seen since 1976.

Any wrinklies concur?

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Robon Friday Wonder Goal v Tranmere 1976

by Avon Royal » 25 Mar 2012 12:57

Was Robon's goal as good as Robin's? :wink:

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 25 Mar 2012 13:40

as I said on the GF thread, Friday's was at a kinder angle and nowhere near as far out. The skills were the same, though

#notdissingRF

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 25 Mar 2012 13:50

Crouch for England!

Blimmin' eck!

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 25 Mar 2012 14:11

I think Ladders' is the closest that I have seen. Robin's was more central, which you can see from the EP photo. Fantastic strike by Crouch.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 25 Mar 2012 14:36

strap Crouch's goal was the nearest I have seen to Friday goal.

Do you not recall Jimmy Quinns goal against Wolves in 96, the game that kept us up? it was at least the equal of Crouch's goal if not better. It was from a wider position off the back of some keepy uppys. Sadly, i dont know if there is any footage out there.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Mar 2012 14:41

Tony Le Mesmer

Do you not recall Jimmy Quinns goal against Wolves in 96, the game that kept us up? it was at least the equal of Crouch's goal if not better. It was from a wider position off the back of some keepy uppys. Sadly, i dont know if there is any footage out there.

Saw that goal and Crouch's is better. From my memory Quinn was more central and therefore closer to the goal. A bit of juggling and then a turn and hook in over his shoulder. Great goal, but can't compete with Crouch.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 25 Mar 2012 14:46

Ian Royal
Tony Le Mesmer

Saw that goal and Crouch's is better. From my memory Quinn was more central and therefore closer to the goal. A bit of juggling and then a turn and hook in over his shoulder. Great goal, but can't compete with Crouch.

Quinns was near the touchline. But i havent seen it for a long time. Please someone find some footage!

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Mar 2012 16:06

What about Senior's goal from just inside the opposition half out on the right by the clock?
Can't remember who it was against but IIRC it was part of a hat-trick.
As for Friday's goal ironically it was also in March and the ball would have been heavier than the one Crouch hit yesterday and of course the playing surface yesterday would have been miles better (for balance) so Friday's was clearly the better of the two and I doubt that a pop star will be writing a book about about Crouch. :wink:

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 25 Mar 2012 16:19

Tony Le Mesmer
Ian Royal

Quinns was near the touchline. But i havent seen it for a long time. Please someone find some footage!

Remember a similar one near the touchline. Bristol Rovers c1994?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 25 Mar 2012 16:19

Never saw it. :oops:

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 25 Mar 2012 16:53

Victor Meldrew What about Senior's goal from just inside the opposition half out on the right by the clock?
As for Friday's goal ironically it was also in March and the ball would have been heavier than the one Crouch hit yesterday and of course the playing surface yesterday would have been miles better (for balance) so Friday's was clearly the better of the two and I doubt that a pop star will be writing a book about about Crouch. :wink:

Hat-trick v Colchester in Lge Cup 1983 (we lost on away goals aet :cry:

Agree with OP - that is the closest I've seen to RF's goal and said so to the missus at the time when she enquired to me my OMG.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Mar 2012 16:59

Tony Le Mesmer
Ian Royal
Tony Le Mesmer

Funny thing memory isn't it. I remember him being just outside and to the North of the D at the Tilehurst End.

17Bus

by 17Bus » 25 Mar 2012 19:42

Fox Talbot
Victor Meldrew What about Senior's goal from just inside the opposition half out on the right by the clock?

Hat-trick v Colchester in Lge Cup 1983

According to Trevor this wasn't even the best goal he ever scored, which came from a volley from the edge of the box a few days later in the league at Elm Park in a 1-1 draw with Chesterfield.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 25 Mar 2012 19:43

Another username? How many is that now? :lol:

17Bus

by 17Bus » 25 Mar 2012 19:53

SLAMMED Another username? How many is that now? :lol:

5,943?

Row V
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Welcome to NJ, where the weak are killed and eaten.

by Row V » 28 Mar 2012 01:45

Ian Royal

Funny thing memory isn't it. I remember him being just outside and to the North of the D at the Tilehurst End.[/quote]
Correct. And I had to eat humble pie after complaining about Quinn for being shit up to that point.
I've always said what a good player he was........cough, cough.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 28 Mar 2012 03:28

Fox Talbot

Agree with OP - that is the closest I've seen to RF's goal and said so to the missus at the time when she enquired to me my OMG.

I think he is thinking of the goal Trevor scored against Stockport on the opening day of the season. A 5 minute hat trick in a 6-2 win. He struck it from the touch line near the South Bank and it curled in to the top corner.

Although you are right his hat trick against Colchester was the best I have ever seen. He smashed a left foot volley from a David Crown cross from the the D of the penalty box in to the top corner of the Tilehust End Goal. Till this day I have never seen a ball hit sweeter. When I meet him a few years ago I mentioned that goal and he reckoned he hit a better one against Northampton later that season. I have no memory of that one even though I was at the game.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 28 Mar 2012 08:26

Jackson Corner
Fox Talbot

I think he is thinking of the goal Trevor scored against Stockport on the opening day of the season. A 5 minute hat trick in a 6-2 win. He struck it from the touch line near the South Bank and it curled in to the top corner.

Although you are right his hat trick against Colchester was the best I have ever seen. He smashed a left foot volley from a David Crown cross from the the D of the penalty box in to the top corner of the Tilehust End Goal. Till this day I have never seen a ball hit sweeter. When I meet him a few years ago I mentioned that goal and he reckoned he hit a better one against Northampton later that season. I have no memory of that one even though I was at the game.

The sweetest hit I can ever remember seeing was the goal Alan Mullery for Fulham scored against Peter Shilton(Leicester) in the early seventies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NLueHEhKTc

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 29 Mar 2012 12:52

Ian Royal Saw that goal and Crouch's is better. From my memory Quinn was more central and therefore closer to the goal. A bit of juggling and then a turn and hook in over his shoulder. Great goal, but can't compete with Crouch.

:|

Quinn had his back to goal, m8. Makes it that little bit harder to execute, no?