Magic Number

148 posts
Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Magic Number

by Platypuss » 10 Apr 2012 18:05

Stranded
Mr Angry But if we draw those 3 away games, and win our 2 home games, that means we would have the same number of points that West Ham can get if they win all of their last 4 games, and I can't see them doing that.

However, when we play Brum, they will be safely in the play-offs and our game will be their 60th match of the season; I can well imagine Hughton resting a number of players as a result.

That's a big assumption, if I were in Brum's shoes and we aren't assured of the top 2, I'd be in the mood to put one over us and knock us back in to the playoffs with them and all the psychological damage that would do.

Not convinced. At that stage when you're sure of the play offs it's all about keeping your players fit and available. That's what will be in the players minds too.

The Cube

by The Cube » 10 Apr 2012 20:37

Update after win at Brighton - three points for Reading, so subtract three from all previous numbers. That removes Blackpool from the list.

The magic numbers for the clubs that could still finish ahead of us are:
Southampton - 12 (notional as it allows for the fact that we're playing them - really it's 13)
West Ham - 7
Birmingham - 1

Fortunately I don't have to listen to any more games on the radio this season...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Apr 2012 20:37

Mr Angry Saints - 15
West Ham - 10
Birmingham - 4
Blackpool - 1

No-one else can catch us.

Saints - 12
West Ham - 7
Brum - 1

Woop woop.

Unless I've cocked this up.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 10 Apr 2012 20:40

So, beat Saints and Forest, rely on Brighton to get a draw against the Hammers, and we are up?

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 10 Apr 2012 20:41

West Stand Man So, beat Saints and Forest, rely on Brighton to get a draw against the Hammers, and we are up?

Yep!

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 10 Apr 2012 20:53

I really cannot believe this run - we lose at Peterboro and it looks ominous with the run in and then 12 points from three play off teams and Leeds.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 10 Apr 2012 21:58

Mid Sussex Royal I really cannot believe this run - we lose at Peterboro and it looks ominous with the run in and then 12 points from three play off teams and Leeds.

The games we havent won in the last 15 are the games with the lowest crowds - not much mroe than half the size of everywhere else.Big crowds, big games, big performances

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Apr 2012 22:16

The Cube Update after win at Brighton - three points for Reading, so subtract three from all previous numbers. That removes Blackpool from the list.

Southampton - 12 (notional as it allows for the fact that we're playing them - really it's 13)

It's going to be hard to get 13 points from 4 games.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Apr 2012 22:30

Snowball
The Cube Update after win at Brighton - three points for Reading, so subtract three from all previous numbers. That removes Blackpool from the list.

By Saturday the magic number could well be down to 7 with three to play and us 3 points clear. So it's a good job we don't need to.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 10 Apr 2012 23:58

Snowball

We don't need 13 points; we need 7.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 11 Apr 2012 00:42

Just to clarify the meaning of this...

Southampton - 12 (notional as it allows for the fact that we're playing them - really it's 13)...

Folks --it's 13 points in any feasible combination of:

--points won by Reading; and

--points dropped by Southampton

So in fact we're not embarked upon on a fool's errand here, seeking to win 13 points from our 4 remaining matches --we're seeking a mix of 13 points won from our own four and dropped by Southampton in their four

Indeed, if Friday's match were to end in a draw, then the number would stand at 10 (again, that's R points to be won + S points to be dropped) with 3 left to play for both

And it's 13 instead of 12 because they've got us on GD (and it's likely to remain thus no matter what, so we should just assume a need to finish clear of them)

The fact that we play them between now and the end complicates the calculus --but after full-time on Friday, all of the scenarios will come into significantly sharper focus and remain so; when WHU* and Brighton finish their business on Saturday, it'll be clearer still

*Speaking of whom, I've crunched out their numbers vis-à-vis the current top two --grim stuff, and what passes for our worries these days has to look like sheer luxury to them

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 11 Apr 2012 00:45

RoyalChicagoFC Just to clarify the meaning of this...

Southampton - 12 (notional as it allows for the fact that we're playing them - really it's 13)...

Folks --it's 13 points in any feasible combination of:

--points won by Reading; and

--points dropped by Southampton

So in fact we're not embarked upon on a fool's errand here, seeking to win 13 points from our 4 remaining matches --we're seeking a mix of 13 points won from our own four and dropped by Southampton in their four

Nicely put mate - seems that Snowball can't grasp the concept of the magic number!

:lol:

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 11 Apr 2012 01:52

Snowball

From someone who has successfully defended the concept of the "six-pointer", that's an exceptionally dim-witted post.

Btw, Cubers, RC correctly points out that it really is 13. There's no combination of points won by us and lost by Soton adding up to twelve which guarantees that we end ahead of them. That we play them is not really relevant, although it rules out a couple of combinations. GD is also a bit of a red herring. The question is what assures coming out on top regardless of goals scored.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 11 Apr 2012 03:18

Maguire Common sense >>> trying to Americanise football

The 's' in "Americanise" is a thing of beauty.

*tips hat*

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 11 Apr 2012 03:28

Maguire Common sense >>> trying to Americanise football

:| Does common sense dictate something different from the magic number?

The Cube

by The Cube » 11 Apr 2012 06:28

Arch
Snowball

From someone who has successfully defended the concept of the "six-pointer", that's an exceptionally dim-witted post.

Btw, Cubers, RC correctly points out that it really is 13. There's no combination of points won by us and lost by Soton adding up to twelve which guarantees that we end ahead of them. That we play them is not really relevant, although it rules out a couple of combinations. GD is also a bit of a red herring. The question is what assures coming out on top regardless of goals scored.

The reason why I introduced the idea of the notional 12, making allowance for a game between the two teams, was so that it was clear that it was in our own hands. If we weren't playing Southampton again this season, then the magic number for the title would be a clear 13, sending out the message that we have to rely on others failing.

Subsequently I regretted that variation but it's too late now.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 11 Apr 2012 08:20

This seems as good a place as any to point out that we have secured home field advantage throughout the playoffs if necessary

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 11 Apr 2012 08:44

Silver Fox This seems as good a place as any to point out that we have secured home field advantage throughout the playoffs if necessary

Keep Americanisation out of Soccer!!!

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 11 Apr 2012 09:02

I suppose that was also intended to be a tongue in cheek (about the use od the word Soccer)?

What is oft forgotten is that Soccer is actually an English word not an Americanisation.

I rest my case!

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 11 Apr 2012 11:50

We never had one to answer --but good lawyering there all the same; way to go!/high five, etc

You done right, Cubester --fully three sets of scenarios currently lie in front of us owing the the fact that we go heads-up against Saints, and two of them get wiped from the sl8 come Friday after 90 minutes (plus time added on for second-half stoppages and of course the obligatory and by now maddeningly familiar "Royal minute"); getting our numbers sorted, set and squared with objective reality once and for all is reason enough for me to be slobbering in anticip8ion

Still won't be possible to clinch nuttin' ('cept third at worst) before Tuesday the soonest, and that'd be only with a win or draw on Friday and/or WHU dropping points on Saturday; Palace at home on Saturday week looms huge (er well what doesn't these days)

In any case, West Ham's margin is verrrrrrry slim --6 points back with 4 games left really doesn't do justice to their plight

148 posts