Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Magic Number

by Ian Royal » 11 Apr 2012 16:24

Ian Royal So to sum it up

Magic number for 1st = 13 (Saints)
Magic number for 2nd = 7 (West Ham)
Magic Number for 3rd = 1 (Birmingham)

To summarise again for the retarded. This is the total number of points we need to gain + the other team needs to drop.

Aubery Boyce
Hob Nob Regular

by Aubery Boyce » 11 Apr 2012 16:26

What a load of Seppo Bullsh1t.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 11 Apr 2012 16:27

Mr Angry
West Stand Man I suppose that was also intended to be a tongue in cheek (about the use od the word Soccer)?

What is oft forgotten is that Soccer is actually an English word not an Americanisation.

I rest my case!

Close to a whoosh.....

but not quite close enough! :D

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 11 Apr 2012 16:37

Ian, Theoretically it is 13 but the 13th point is essentially goal difference and it is only 12 'real' points

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 11 Apr 2012 16:37

Ian Royal

To summarise again for the retarded. This is the total number of points we need to gain + the other team needs to drop.

OK. So to sum up, it's a rather convoluted way of expressing something that can be expressed in a much more simple way?

Knowing 4 wins from 4 to guarantee finishing above Southampton is clear.
Knowing we need to take more points than Southampton to finish above them is clear.

Knowing 13 is the "magic number"? :|

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Apr 2012 16:39

pea Ian, Theoretically it is 13 but the 13th point is essentially goal difference and it is only 12 'real' points

Given Saints are massively ahead of us on GD, the only way to be certain is with points.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Apr 2012 16:40

Ian Royal

OK. So to sum up, it's a rather convoluted way of expressing something that can be expressed in a much more simple way?

Knowing 4 wins from 4 to guarantee finishing above Southampton is clear.
Knowing we need to take more points than Southampton to finish above them is clear.

Knowing 13 is the "magic number"? :|

If you don't like it, don't post on a thread about it. It covers all results that will do it and means you don't have to worry about those different permutations. Just tick off the points as they drop.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 11 Apr 2012 16:45

Ian Royal If you don't like it, don't post on a thread about it.

oooooooooh!
It covers all results that will do it and means you don't have to worry about those different permutations. Just tick off the points as they drop.

Thanks.

The concept of needing to get more points than Southampton was really stupifying.

I don't know how I'd have ever got my head round it without being able to do a little chart I can colour in as those points get ticked off, or not.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 11 Apr 2012 17:12

Ian Royal If you don't like it, don't post on a thread about it. It covers all results that will do it and means you don't have to worry about those different permutations. Just tick off the points as they drop.

The magic number to promotion is currently 7

Even if they go on a horrendous run that might change, but since there is only 4 games to go, the chances of it changing much before we get to the current 7 is limited.

The "magic number" to win the league... well lets just secure promotion first

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Apr 2012 17:26

Ian Royal If you don't like it, don't post on a thread about it.

oooooooooh!
It covers all results that will do it and means you don't have to worry about those different permutations. Just tick off the points as they drop.

Thanks.

The concept of needing to get more points than Southampton was really stupifying.

I don't know how I'd have ever got my head round it without being able to do a little chart I can colour in as those points get ticked off, or not.

Not quite getting why your posting on a thread about magic numbers if you don't like the concept. Face it, you tried to correct me, and got it wrong.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 11 Apr 2012 17:48

Ian Royal Not quite getting why your posting on a thread about magic numbers if you don't like the concept. Face it, you tried to correct me, and got it wrong.

It'll be tough, but given time, and with support of my family and friends, I might just get though it.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 11 Apr 2012 17:56

Ian Royal Not quite getting why your posting on a thread about magic numbers if you don't like the concept. Face it, you tried to correct me, and got it wrong.

It'll be tough, but given time, and with support of my family and friends, I might just get though it.

Big ask.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 11 Apr 2012 18:13

Platypuss

Big ask.

Are you saying Bob the Pencil Case doesn't count?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 11 Apr 2012 18:31

Not sure if this is the right place but have just reviewed West Ham's and our run ins -

For us, our last two and possibly three games (Forest might not quite be safe by net week) are against sides with nothing to play for - with two in the lower part of the table. Birmingham will be nailed in 4th by the time we go there and could well rest players/ease up ahead of the play offs and if they did have a chance of securing third it would mean West Ham have blown up.

For West Ham - the way the easter results went means that as well as Brighton, Leicester and Hull are right back in with a shout of the play offs and Bristol will still def need points next week.

So at worst I think the run ins have levelled up - and we are six clear!

purleyroyal

by purleyroyal » 11 Apr 2012 19:28

The Cube Your magic number compared to another club is the number of points required to guarantee to stay ahead of them by the end of the season (because it's "guarantee" goal difference doesn't come into it). That means either you gaining points, or them dropping points. The calculation is trivial, but I will spell it out for those board members whose mathematical ability is less developed than my own.

Example: Reading and Southampton
Southampton currently have 82 points.
They have four games left.
The maximum points they can get in those five games is 12, so their overall maximum is 82+12=94.
So Reading need 94+1=95 to guarantee to stay ahead of them.
Reading currently have 82.
So Reading's magic number is 95-82=13

Simples

redscot

by redscot » 11 Apr 2012 20:15

purleyroyal
The Cube Your magic number compared to another club is the number of points required to guarantee to stay ahead of them by the end of the season (because it's "guarantee" goal difference doesn't come into it). That means either you gaining points, or them dropping points. The calculation is trivial, but I will spell it out for those board members whose mathematical ability is less developed than my own.

Example: Reading and Southampton
Southampton currently have 82 points.
They have four games left.
The maximum points they can get in those five games is 12, so their overall maximum is 82+12=94.
So Reading need 94+1=95 to guarantee to stay ahead of them.
Reading currently have 82.
So Reading's magic number is 95-82=13

Simples

Magic numbers is not easy, unless you eat a lot of mushrooms. I will stick with all things being equal, the championship will be down to goal difference.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 11 Apr 2012 20:25

Fcuk magic numbers

7 points = promoted
12 points = champions

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 11 Apr 2012 20:58

In the bath tonight I finally came round to this idea and felt I understood.

Our magic number for Southampton is 13 and theirs for us is the same.

Our magic number for West Ham is 7 and theirs for us is 19!

Our magic number for Bham is 1 and theirs for us is 25.

Is that right?

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 11 Apr 2012 21:40

Our magic number for Southampton is 13 and theirs for us is the same.

Arithmetically spot on, but theirs to us is really 12 owing to a goal-difference bulge that, as a practical matter, we're not likely to surmount if we finish on level points with them (and greatly enhanced clarity on this piece of the puzzle will follow on from Friday's full-time whistle)

Our magic number for West Ham is 7 and theirs for us is 19!

Yep, although theirs to us should be thought of as 18 --if they were to reel us in to the extent of forcing a finish on level points, then it's to be expected that in the transaction, they'd pip us to a higher place on GD (but again, the arithmetic is correct)

Our magic number for Bham is 1 and theirs for us is 25

Indeedio, and the fact that Brum's to us at 25 exceeds by 1 the number of combined points on offer to them (12) and us (+ 12 = 24) means that they can do no better than finish on level points with us (and the fact that ours to them is 1 means the same thing)

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 12 Apr 2012 00:53

MmmMonsterMunch Fcuk magic numbers

7 points = promoted
12 points = champions
But we might not get 12 points and yet still be Champions, just like we might not get seven points while still being promoted.

The concept of points we could now attain that would guarantee promotion (or the Championship) is the "bleeding obvious" of page one and the "common sense" of page three. It's also "not very interesting", in as much as it considers one unlikely scenario.

To pick up where you left off about promotion:

7 points = promoted regardless
6 points + WHU drop at least a point = promoted (6+1=7)
5 points + WHU drop at least two = promoted (5+2=7)
4 points + WHU drop at least three = promoted (4+3=7)
3 points + WHU drop at least four = promoted (3+4=7)
2 points + WHU drop at least five = promoted (2+5=7)
1 point + WHU drop at least six = promoted (1+6=7)

Pretty boring typing all that given that it's easily summarized by the phrase "the magic number is seven".

148 posts