Saints view of last nights game

138 posts
comeonthebiscuitmen

Re: Saints view of last nights game

by comeonthebiscuitmen » 14 Apr 2012 19:48

Just read one of the saints fans saying "1 win and we will be promoted, i cant see West ham gaining 9 goals on us."
6 down, 3 to go! - Got to give West Ham credit with an amazing result today.
I love speculating on what results other teams might get as much as the next person though and hope we can clinch promotion on Tuesday night. Glad Brian and the boys just focus on their own game - 1 game at a time - nice and steady.
What a manager - what a team, roll on Tuesday!

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 14 Apr 2012 19:58

comeonthebiscuitmen Just read one of the saints fans saying "1 win and we will be promoted, i cant see West ham gaining 9 goals on us."
6 down, 3 to go! - Got to give West Ham credit with an amazing result today.
I love speculating on what results other teams might get as much as the next person though and hope we can clinch promotion on Tuesday night. Glad Brian and the boys just focus on their own game - 1 game at a time - nice and steady.
What a manager - what a team, roll on Tuesday!

This weekend's results meant they caught up 8 goals. Really has put the cat amongst the pigeons now. Quite exciting to know 7 points would guarantee the title for us & even that is on the basis the other 2 get max points from here on in.

Can't wait for Tuesday now!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 14 Apr 2012 20:02

arthurfondrelli Imagine the negativity if we'd have lost last night :shock:

Saints have gone from world beaters to strugglers

West Ham have gone from strugglers to world beaters

Surely one game for both these teams won't change their fortunes..

A nice bit of perspective tbh.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Apr 2012 20:48

Maguire I think the Saints fans are pretty generous with their comments and probably (understandably) a little down about their teams performance when in fact they played pretty well.

Lambert was the best player on the park IMHO but they outplayed us in midfield and we really struggled to retain possession up the pitch. Thought our central midfield really struggled to get to grips with it and didn't seem to be able to control the ball let alone anything else.

Still, this promotion has been founded on a rock solid defence and once again it stood firm without too many scares (despite the barrage of shots they had). Awesome cross from Jimmy for the first and ALF doing what ALF does.

Still convinced Saints will get their deserved promotion though.
Hopefully

Their hospitality was first class......and (next seasons spending in mind) it would be a strong potential 6 premier points for us.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 Apr 2012 13:38

Debate on Saints forum about England's dullest club, surprise surprise...
Reading. Their singing section at the Madejski is about the size of a primary school choir. They have a drum and have recently added a trumpet which is absolutely pathetic. Their whole support seem passionless. They made barely any noise at St Mary's and their whole support seems to wear a replica shirt and seem ridiculously boring.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 15 Apr 2012 13:43

I was well impressed with St Mary's stadium. The low, flat roof reflects back a lot of the noise from the fans, whereas at our place it can get dissipated.
I would far rather have Southampton going up (in 2nd place behind us, of course) than BFS and Wet Sham.
Meanwhile I'll go back to looking at a load of incubating eggs, awaiting the chicken counting process to start ...

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 15 Apr 2012 14:16

paultheroyal Debate on Saints forum about England's dullest club, surprise surprise...
Reading. Their singing section at the Madejski is about the size of a primary school choir. They have a drum and have recently added a trumpet which is absolutely pathetic. Their whole support seem passionless. They made barely any noise at St Mary's and their whole support seems to wear a replica shirt and seem ridiculously boring.

:lol: Rattled.

Winning 3-1 > comparing notes on the Madejski.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 15 Apr 2012 14:41

paultheroyal Debate on Saints forum about England's dullest club, surprise surprise...

Oh dear!! I take it this shocking assault on the heart of RFC is in isolation.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Apr 2012 14:47

FiNeRaIn
Friday's Legacy I don't think Karacan or Leigertwood would have made much difference. Saints style is getting the ball out wide and feed the strikers with crosses.

Yeah and how are they going to do that if they don't have the ball? :roll:

Karacan and lege would have kept the ball much better than the two last night ( tabb had 3/4 first touches that went straight to saints players and that probably aided him being taken off). As much as i've given karacan stick in the past last night was exactly his sort of game, he has a lot more energy than anyone else and would have harried saints all night - lege although he isn't creative still finds space with some of his passes and holds the ball well in midfield. They had way too much time on the ball because we werent pressing them enough and were too slow closing down. Their goal came from their lad having way too much time to pop a ball in the box for instance. If you want an honest assessment mullins and tabb were pretty pedestrian in midfield and it was frustrating to watch. Karacan and lege are by far and away our best two players for that position, hopefully lege is back on tuesday and comes in for tabb.

I essentially agree with that, we gave the ball away far too easily. Ledge would have kept it better and eased some of the pressure at the very least. Karacan's energy would also have been useful.

I prefer Tabb to Mullins though.
PremAddict
SCIAG
FiNeRaIn We can't sit back and absorb pressure against teams the way we are now, we will be hammered.

I can't see us being able to play like that at Old Trafford and get a result.

But we did do just that in the '06-'07 season.

Actually it was 07-08. In 06-07 we went there and attacked them, scored two goals and did really well, but lost 3-2.
The 0-0 in August 2007 was what I was hinting at though.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 15 Apr 2012 15:26

England's dullest club, probably one where the fans seem to think that is a worthwhile discussion when you're chasing promotion to the premier league with three games to go.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Apr 2012 15:27

pea England's dullest club, probably one where the fans seem to think that is a worthwhile discussion when you're chasing promotion to the premier league with three games to go.

I suggest maggots, a 2oz weight and 10lb line.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 15 Apr 2012 15:30

I'd go 24 hour prep on the ground bait for a huge amount of carping myself.

robinsfriday

by robinsfriday » 15 Apr 2012 15:34

FiNeRaIn
John Peel
anR Outside West Quay this morning some guy with his girlfriend muttered something about points. "Blinding", I said to which he aggressively said, "You was lucky, very lucky!" I don't remember any of our goals bouncing off a defender, mind...

You're absolutely right there! Think I'll use that when I get the inevitable 'you were lucky' comments by my Saints work colleagues on Monday.

The fact is, yes they battered us first half but it's not like were playing that badly. And after they score their deflected goal I thought we came back into it and matched them. In fact, their goal was the best thing that could have happened. It spurred us on. Only weak spot was our centre mid, which was not great at times, although Mullins did come back into it second half.

Also, our first and second goals were well worked. And the first one came from the cross of the season.

Comments I heard after the game about them battering us for 90 mins are therefore slightly blinkered IMO.

Its not luck when you do it week in week out. The last three away games West Ham, BHA and Now southampton the home side has dominated for long periods, we've defended like gods and hit goals on the counter.

If they think its luck, they aren't very bright football fans and probably started following the game last season.

Absolutely spot on.
+1

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 15 Apr 2012 16:58

our fans are quiet? yes indeed we are BUT not compared to saints fans on fri, they only made noise after equalising, you wouldn't think they were a team on verge of promotion from fans reaction

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 15 Apr 2012 18:05

loyalroyal4life our fans are quiet? yes indeed we are BUT not compared to saints fans on fri, they only made noise after equalising, you wouldn't think they were a team on verge of promotion from fans reaction

"Sing when you're drawing you only sing when you're drawing"

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 15 Apr 2012 18:23

loyalroyal4life our fans are quiet? yes indeed we are BUT not compared to saints fans on fri, they only made noise after equalising, you wouldn't think they were a team on verge of promotion from fans reaction

I think that was more about being top of the league on goal difference again and hoping they would win and not ship goals.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 15 Apr 2012 19:34

Maguire I think the Saints fans are pretty generous with their comments and probably (understandably) a little down about their teams performance when in fact they played pretty well.

Lambert was the best player on the park IMHO but they outplayed us in midfield and we really struggled to retain possession up the pitch. Thought our central midfield really struggled to get to grips with it and didn't seem to be able to control the ball let alone anything else.

Still, this promotion has been founded on a rock solid defence and once again it stood firm without too many scares (despite the barrage of shots they had). Awesome cross from Jimmy for the first and ALF doing what ALF does.

Still convinced Saints will get their deserved promotion though.

Most sensible, balanced post on Nobbers for a long time....

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 15 Apr 2012 19:36

sandman

I didnt think we were quiet Friday ... but then I was in amongst it. How did we sound on the telly?!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Apr 2012 20:02

I would urge those who thought our central midfielders struggled so much to watch a video of the game. They actually did pretty well and Jobi was superb when he moved into the centre.

SydenhamRoyal
sandman

I didnt think we were quiet Friday ... but then I was in amongst it. How did we sound on the telly?!

Loud and proud. Excellent.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 16 Apr 2012 10:52

RoyalBlue

I would urge those who thought our central midfielders struggled so much to watch a video of the game. They actually did pretty well and Jobi was superb when he moved into the centre

I downloaded the game as it happens - still think "bag of cement" springs to mind when seeing Jay Tabb try to control the ball.

Obvs it's all about opinions but why do you think we were getting so dominated if not for the midfield performance?

138 posts