Thames Sports Investment

5145 posts
Bumblebee

Re: Thames Sports Investment

by Bumblebee » 20 Apr 2012 18:26

Royalee
Ian Royal It's always about negativity.

If we upgrade our stadium what happens if we're shit in 5-6 years? Yeah, well one of the ways to make sure we arn't shit in 5-6 years, is to grow the club. And the only way to do that is to expand the stadium so it's easier for fans to come, which means more opportunities to get people hooked.

If we've got a 24,000 seater stadium, with 18,000 STHs and 2,000 away fans... that leaves a maximum of 4,000 who can come to any game. That's tiny. It means there are no special offers, because they'll sell most of the tickets regardless.

With 30,000, we could have 20,000 STHs, room for 4,000 away fans, and still have room for 2,000 extra infrequent visitors. Even then we'd probably get close to selling out half the games in the Prem., with or without promotions. At least for the first couple of years.

Add in kids for a quid, STHs bring a mate for a fiver / tenner... £20 tickets offers... Hell, we could have a cheap section that you could only get 5 tickets a season on any one member card... Loads of ways to attract new fans, families, or causal supporters for the odd games.

It's not like we haven't trippled our average attendence in the last 15 years by building a new stadium and spending more time at a higher level. We can fecking andd another 50% by taking the next step.

100% agreed. :shock:

LOL same.

30k feels like the right number for me. All this 38k stuff seems a little ambitious!

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 20 Apr 2012 18:29

Well we might have to get to grips with ambition before long and deal with it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Apr 2012 18:30

I don't mind constructive criticism. What pisses me off is defeatest whining and constant negativity. If you aren't trying to help support / find a solution... you're part of the fecking problem.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 20 Apr 2012 18:39

Ian Royal I don't mind constructive criticism. What pisses me off is defeatest whining and constant negativity. If you aren't trying to help support / find a solution... you're part of the fecking problem.

Problem: Going nowhere, have to sell best players as standing still.

Solution: Take a calculated risk and prudently invest some money in the team.

Result: Promotion.

Let the good times roll!
Last edited by Avon Royal on 20 Apr 2012 18:41, edited 3 times in total.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 20 Apr 2012 18:40

Ian Royal It's always about negativity.

If we upgrade our stadium what happens if we're shit in 5-6 years? Yeah, well one of the ways to make sure we arn't shit in 5-6 years, is to grow the club. And the only way to do that is to expand the stadium so it's easier for fans to come, which means more opportunities to get people hooked.

If we've got a 24,000 seater stadium, with 18,000 STHs and 2,000 away fans... that leaves a maximum of 4,000 who can come to any game. That's tiny. It means there are no special offers, because they'll sell most of the tickets regardless.

With 30,000, we could have 20,000 STHs, room for 4,000 away fans, and still have room for 2,000 extra infrequent visitors. Even then we'd probably get close to selling out half the games in the Prem., with or without promotions. At least for the first couple of years.

Add in kids for a quid, STHs bring a mate for a fiver / tenner... £20 tickets offers... Hell, we could have a cheap section that you could only get 5 tickets a season on any one member card... Loads of ways to attract new fans, families, or causal supporters for the odd games.

It's not like we haven't trippled our average attendence in the last 15 years by building a new stadium and spending more time at a higher level. We can fecking andd another 50% by taking the next step.

Exactly, some of our fans seem terrified by the prospect of trying to establish ourselves as a significant club in this country

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 20 Apr 2012 18:40

Ian Royal I don't mind constructive criticism. What pisses me off is defeatest whining and constant negativity. If you aren't trying to help support / find a solution... you're part of the fecking problem.

Agreed totally with your previous point, but mind out you don't stay out too long in Corporate Speak/David Brent territory too long

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 20 Apr 2012 18:43

It will be gradually phased in, go East Stand first, get to the 30K and attempt to consolidate the support in whatever way we can. Give those on a low royalty point tier the chance to get to a game or two, attempt to keep them (that is usually dependant on results initially), consolidate mid table in the Prem and then put in phase two of the build over the following summer.
The £5 incentives are a great leader towards bringing in the casual supporters, we need to welcome them into the fold and embrace the change without getting too precious about the changes needed to bring in the revenue.
I for one will look forward to the changes needed. The fear initially is not about the number of support but the investment in all aspects of the club. Team, infrastructure, bring success, and the numbers will come. Consolidate the success and we might get a little retention of support going on. TSI /SJM will get this club to where they want to. The rest is down to marketing, aiming higher and getting rid of the shackles of the small town shit fans mentality. How long that takes - who knows.
Hopefully TSI are in for the long haul on this one.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 20 Apr 2012 19:56

38k seems quite scary TBH. 30k sounds much more realistic & is enough to keep us happy for a very long time.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 20 Apr 2012 20:16

Maybe London Irish are expecting some more fans?!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Apr 2012 21:01

Look, I'm not sure what's wrong with some of you but I've already explained that my comment was in relation to a quote stating that Anton would be increasing the stadium to 38k next summer. Now it appears to have been clarified that we're only increasing to 30k I'm more than happy but I was saying he'd be an idiot to expand to 38k all in one go. And I stand by that opinion. Trying to have a go at me for what I said AFTER I stated what I was originally responding to is puerile in the extreme.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 20 Apr 2012 21:03

And we all love you for it RL.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 Apr 2012 21:25

Anton - whose English is of course perfect, having been schooled in Reading as a youngster -

Surely "despite"?

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 20 Apr 2012 21:33

SCIAG
Anton - whose English is of course perfect, having been schooled in Reading as a youngster -

Surely "despite"?

:lol:

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 20 Apr 2012 21:37

Royal Lady Look, I'm not sure what's wrong with some of you but I've already explained that my comment was in relation to a quote stating that Anton would be increasing the stadium to 38k next summer. Now it appears to have been clarified that we're only increasing to 30k I'm more than happy but I was saying he'd be an idiot to expand to 38k all in one go. And I stand by that opinion. Trying to have a go at me for what I said AFTER I stated what I was originally responding to is puerile in the extreme.

Just as an aside, what do you think of increasing the capacity to 38K if it doesn't significantly increase costs?

Looking at a club like Leeds who only open certain tiers of their main stand depending on the expected gates. It certainly doesn't appear to diminish the atmosphere and could, in theory, generate greater revenue for club in the games against the top 6 we could sell out.

Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

by Badger Finger » 20 Apr 2012 21:48

RLerz. You're far too defensive.

Chin up, doll face...

robinsfriday

by robinsfriday » 20 Apr 2012 21:55

Job done?

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... next-week/

READING FC chairman Sir John Madejski has revealed he expects Anton Zingarevich's takeover to be completed next week.

The deal has been delayed while Premier League officials investigate Thames Sports Investment, the venture set up by Zingarevich and partner Chris Samuelson as a means of buying the club.

TSI are set to acquire an initial 51% stake for £25 million, with the option of buying more shares at a later date.

That looks to be shrewd business by Zingarevich, with Reading's promotion to the Premier League believed to be worth an estimated £100 million alone.

However, Madejski has promised to stick to the original price agreed with the 30-year-old Russian back in January.

TSI's takeover has been investigated by Football League and then Premier League chiefs ever since, but Madejski believes it will be rubber stamped within days.

"The whole thing is still going through the necessary checks but we think it could be completed next week," Madejski told BBC Radio Berkshire.

"Promotion is just as important to Reading as city status, the economic benefits are huge."

Reading has been gripped with Premier League fever ever since Mikele Leigertwood's late goal against Nottingham Forest sent them up on Tuesday night.

While the playing squad celebrated in London, Madejski, manager Brian McDermott and a sprinkling of backroom staff celebrated long into the night at Reading town centre bar The Purple Turtle, owned by hardcore Royals fan Danny Fraifeld.

The impromptu visit was filmed by fans and is now a massive hit on youtube.

"We got back to the Madejski Stadium at six o'clock in the morning which tells its own story," added Madejski.

"When I got involved with Reading 22 years ago I saw it as a sleeping giant. Now the giant is roaring again."

TSI have already announced their intention to expend the MadejskI Stadium from 24,000 to 38,000 capacity if the team survives its first year in the Premier League.

They also plan to pump fresh investment into the Royals Academy and upgrade the club's Hogwood Park training ground.

And Zingarevich has already confirmed club scouts have been searching for new players, with Sunderland's Kieran Richardson and Blackpool's Matt Phillips linked with moves to Berkshire.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 20 Apr 2012 22:23

This has just been added to the telegraph site:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... ering.html

Hmm..

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 20 Apr 2012 22:28

I really don't like the smell of all this. No smoke without fire. Just pull out John! Fcuk it we are PL now we don't need the cash as much.

robinsfriday

by robinsfriday » 20 Apr 2012 22:32

MmmMonsterMunch This has just been added to the telegraph site:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... ering.html

Hmm..

The hounds have been released it would seem. I wouldn't worry to much. We're back on the map so to speak so these fairytale stories are bound to come out. From my point of view, any investigation is good as it only protects the club from entering an agreement that will become our downfall. The British tabloids are hardly the epitome of honesty. I still have absolute trust in Anton, Sir John and those involved. Lets face facts, how many stories have we all heard about Roman and his "contacts" and "agreements". This will be signed off in less than a week and in regards to Anton, the "family" involves Daddy. Watch this space.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 20 Apr 2012 22:34

Isn't this guy now a board member though? He has been investigated by the FBI FFS!

5145 posts