Matthew Connolly

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Matthew Connolly

by tomrfcurz » 29 Apr 2012 07:56

Super Kevin Bremner! Complete numpty thread. It was his first game back after a lengthy injury and he was a little off the pace. He was playing against Andros Townsend who is very good indeed and largely kept him quiet. Job done.

If the OP is so concerned about Connolly's performance/future then I look forward to the thread about Alex Pearce looking poor everytime Nathan Redmond done him for pace.

We lost 2 goals due to the Centre Backs getting caught out and Jay Tabb playing netball in the penalty area. Nothing to do with Connolly at all.

Remember Connolly's first game after joining us was similar - solid without really looking amazing. After that he was decent.

Knee/Jerk and 'too much time on your hands' both spring to mind on this thread.

The Team Board is gonna be dire next season, when we aren't winning 60% of our games.

LOL. Read the OP. I clearly made it clear i understand its his first game back but he was shocking yesterday. No positional sense whatsoever. Townsend also played the majority of his game running at Pearce & Gorkss anyway.

On your next point, Pearce's positional sense was fine but yeh he's slow - we expect that. What i'm saying is Connolly is better than what he played yesterday so its very disappointing to see a performance from him like yesterday.

"Solid without looking amazing" that may have been the analysis on his first game but it certainly wasn't yesterday. And i think the general consensus is that he was poor - just like at the posts above yours.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 29 Apr 2012 08:06

Pointless, dire thread. I'll keep an eye on 'Anything Else' for your thoughts on your Sunday Dinner later. Maybe your mum will get the roast potatoes spot on, but if she's slightly off the pace with them you can let us all know about it.

You're gonna love next season.

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 29 Apr 2012 08:15

Super Kevin Bremner! Pointless, dire thread. I'll keep an eye on 'Anything Else' for your thoughts on your Sunday Dinner later. Maybe your mum will get the roast potatoes spot on, but if she's slightly off the pace with them you can let us all know about it.

You're gonna love next season.

Slightly off the pace >>> Matt Connolly yesterday

Discussion on a player who had a poor game and just generally questioning what people think to having him here permanently, regardless of performance yesterday - hence my references to his other performances in the OP.

Optimist

by Optimist » 29 Apr 2012 18:09

It's easy to judge a player on their last game, but if not being 100% fit was the main reason for a poor showing yesterday then we should just forget it and look at the five he played when fully fit.

And based on those five, we should give the man a contract.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Apr 2012 19:14

Connolly looked like a man who'd been out injured for a while and was playing in a position which isn't his preferred role, in a game that didn't really matter. He looked pretty darn sound there earlier in the season... One bad game does not make me worry.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 29 Apr 2012 19:26

Back from the game thread woulda probably done rather than a doom n gloom dimwit thread of its own.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 29 Apr 2012 20:34

Ian Royal Connolly looked like a man who'd been out injured for a while and was playing in a position which isn't his preferred role, in a game that didn't really matter. He looked pretty darn sound there earlier in the season... One bad game does not make me worry.

Yup sums it up ^^^^

The fact he's been kept around the team even when it was pretty obvious he'd be out for most if not all of the season shows the Brian must think there's something there.

I'm much happier with Cummings there but as we've shown this year, you need plenty of good players around the squad and someone like Connolly will only add to the unit.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 30 Apr 2012 06:27

Connolly looked a bit rusty to me on Saturday at St Andrews. Probally something to do with all the rain we have had!!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Apr 2012 10:23

He's looked alright most of the times he's played, and I'm sure McDermott has a very good idea as to how he'd fit into his plans for next season.

The good thing about this summer is that I don't think McDermott will have to be signing players just for the sake of it (slipping in a reference to the likes of Sodje here) and to make sure we had sufficient numbers. I think it's likely that if McDermott brings a player in then he thinks they're fit for the job in hand.

Will McDermott disagree with Warnock and think that both Gorkss and Connelly are Premier League standard? I reckon it's about 60/40 at the moment.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Apr 2012 10:28

Hoop Blah He's looked alright most of the times he's played, and I'm sure McDermott has a very good idea as to how he'd fit into his plans for next season.

The good thing about this summer is that I don't think McDermott will have to be signing players just for the sake of it (slipping in a reference to the likes of Sodje here) and to make sure we had sufficient numbers. I think it's likely that if McDermott brings a player in then he thinks they're fit for the job in hand.

Will McDermott disagree with Warnock and think that both Gorkss and Connelly are Premier League standard? I reckon it's about 60/40 at the moment.

I think Gorkss is nailed on to be considered good enough... the question for me is more whether Gorkss & Pearce are good enough together and then a toss up as to which one ends up back up if the answer is no.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 30 Apr 2012 10:46

Hoop Blah He's looked alright most of the times he's played, and I'm sure McDermott has a very good idea as to how he'd fit into his plans for next season.

Agreed. Brian is nice and caring, which gives him the right to be lethal. Appreciate Connolly's not a right back and first game back etc, but I think Brian won't sign him now. Harsh, but I don't think he did enough to demonstrate hes a premier league player.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 30 Apr 2012 11:10

Looking back at my photos yesterday, of the huddle after they'd finished lobbing BMac into the air, they seemed to be saying goodbye to Connolly.

Notice multiple hands on Connollys head, and everyone looking in his general direction:

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 30 Apr 2012 11:32

I'm gonna let Brian decide.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 30 Apr 2012 11:44

Caskeys Lovechild Looking back at my photos yesterday, of the huddle after they'd finished lobbing BMac into the air, they seemed to be saying goodbye to Connolly.

Notice multiple hands on Connollys head, and everyone looking in his general direction:

You must be a girl

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Apr 2012 13:50

Caskeys Lovechild Looking back at my photos yesterday, of the huddle after they'd finished lobbing BMac into the air, they seemed to be saying goodbye to Connolly.

Or, alternatively, they could've been going through the fringe players and making sure their part in the success was being recogised.

They could even have been welcoming him into the squad or saying how they hoped he'd be coming back in the summer for pre-season.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 30 Apr 2012 15:45

Their body language was clear, they were wishing him well in a career outside football. He's obviously decided that football isn't his passion and he'd like to bow out on the high of promotion and try something different, which is why Brian gave him a final appearance on Saturday.

I understand he's taking over management of a charming little florist in Richmond.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 30 Apr 2012 16:06

pea
Caskeys Lovechild

I understand he's taking over management of a charming little florist in Richmond.

Well thats what they said. Church knows its a joke, but McCarthys having one of those awkward moments where he finds it funny but isn't entirely sure so doesn't want to giggle too much in case he needs to buy some flowers in a panic after he drops a vase one day...

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 30 Apr 2012 16:11

They are probably saying

"Promotion and relegation in the same season......."

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 30 Apr 2012 16:48

£900k bid made.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 30 Apr 2012 16:54

Also reported by @FourthOfficial on twitter, he's usually spot on when it comes to what bids have been made