17 years of hurt...

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

Re: 17 years of hurt...

by The Rouge » 14 May 2012 07:27

Going up in 2006 avenged the Bolton Play-Off defeat.
Going up this year avenged the Swansea defeat.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 14 May 2012 08:07

This thread would not exist had Archie scored the pen. But even had we gone up that day, it would have been a hell of a struggle at EP. Have I got over it? Of course I have - but I am yet to buy or wear a single piece of Reebok clothing since. I just can't bring myself to do it.

And blame the ref for not issuing a second yellow on McAteer.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 14 May 2012 08:21

Terminal Boardom This thread would not exist had Archie scored the pen. But even had we gone up that day, it would have been a hell of a struggle at EP. Have I got over it? Of course I have - but I am yet to buy or wear a single piece of Reebok clothing since. I just can't bring myself to do it.

I still think of it as Archie missing that penalty.
He gave the Bolton keeper too much credit for thinking that he would have studied Archie's penalty taking when in fact the keeper said he hadn't.
Whether we would have stayed up is another matter but it would have been special to have seen Shaka,Adie,Taylor and Darius playing for us in The Premiership.

RepressedRoyal

by RepressedRoyal » 14 May 2012 08:31

"I have no sympathy for them, except for Fabrice for whome I still prey for every day."

What are you, a Golen Eagle? :D

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 14 May 2012 09:11

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 14 May 2012 09:59

Terminal Boardom This thread would not exist had Archie scored the pen. But even had we gone up that day, it would have been a hell of a struggle at EP. Have I got over it? Of course I have - but I am yet to buy or wear a single piece of Reebok clothing since. I just can't bring myself to do it.

I bought my first ever item of Reebok clothing back in February - hopefully this jinxed Bolton in some way 8)

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 14 May 2012 12:23

LOLton Wanderers can eff off for the hurt of Wembley '95 and also for having Phil Gartside as chairman, the man chiefly responsible for the wretched concept of Pemier League II and zero promotion and relegation between PL and FL.

Tony Philliskirk (pen) can also eff off.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 14 May 2012 13:05

I was so haunted by Philliskirk (pen) i modelled my penalty taking on his. And never missed. Just wish id learned to dive like the cheating cnt as well.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 14 May 2012 13:10

floyd__streete LOLton Wanderers can eff off for the hurt of Wembley '95 and also for having Phil Gartside as chairman, the man chiefly responsible for the wretched concept of Pemier League II and zero promotion and relegation between PL and FL.

Indeed, and now he has his 39th game............ and 40th, and 41st etc

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 14 May 2012 13:14

I just cant beleive the amount of Reading fans who wanted Bolton to stay up over QPR. What the hell have QPR ever done to us?

Blue & White Soup

by Blue & White Soup » 14 May 2012 13:28

Tony Le Mesmer I just cant beleive the amount of Reading fans who wanted Bolton to stay up over QPR. What the hell have QPR ever done to us?

Stole our kit!!

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 14 May 2012 13:28

Tony Le Mesmer I just cant beleive the amount of Reading fans who wanted Bolton to stay up over QPR. What the hell have QPR ever done to us?

I know! Those smug arseholes in west London deserved to go down with their dodgy dealings and inflated sense of self worth.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 May 2012 15:12

Franchise FC
Big Ern Must admit, it crossed my mind when it was confirmed Bolton were relegated.

Agree that McAteer should of been given a second yellow card, but you cannot blame or hate a team for trying to win. It was a mistake from the ref afterall. Can't really remember the handball incident to be honest.

What I do remember well and still leaves a bad taste in my mouth was the behavior of the Bolton fans as we were leaving Wembley. They seemed more intent on rubbing it in as opposed to celebrating their own success. For this alone, I have no sympathy for them, except for Fabrice for whome I still prey for every day.

Handball ????

One of De Freitas' goals, ball hits the post, comes out to him as he's falling over and he stops the ball with his arm before sticking in the rebound. It was clear ball to arm but I'm not convinced it was deliberate and there is no way the ref or lino could possibly have seen it.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 14 May 2012 15:31

I've done it.

I've finally done it. I've watched the WHOLE of the 95 Playoff Final, including Extra Time and penalties. I didn't cry (like I did when I was 14, stood on my seat), I didn't have any of the nasty feelings I did that day. It didn't even really all start flooding back - all I felt was a smug sense of "look where we are now".

There's a sort of divine justice in the way things have worked out this year. Reading promoted as Champions, take the place of the best of the relegated teams.... Bolton in this case.

I really hope this is the beginning of a terminal decline for BWFC. It might sound vitriolic, but for 17 years, I've been unable to compute what happened that day at Wembley. For 17 years, I've been nasty to everyone I came across whos name started in that Mc fashion. And I too, have refused to wear anything made by Reebok in that 17 years.

My ghosts are exorcised - the new order of football is being established - and Reading FC are absolutely, a massive part of it.

QPR can eff off next season though....

William Oddie

by William Oddie » 14 May 2012 15:46

Caskeys Lovechild I've done it.

I've finally done it. I've watched the WHOLE of the 95 Playoff Final, including Extra Time and penalties. I didn't cry (like I did when I was 14, stood on my seat), I didn't have any of the nasty feelings I did that day. It didn't even really all start flooding back - all I felt was a smug sense of "look where we are now".

There's a sort of divine justice in the way things have worked out this year. Reading promoted as Champions, take the place of the best of the relegated teams.... Bolton in this case.

I really hope this is the beginning of a terminal decline for BWFC. It might sound vitriolic, but for 17 years, I've been unable to compute what happened that day at Wembley. For 17 years, I've been nasty to everyone I came across whos name started in that Mc fashion. And I too, have refused to wear anything made by Reebok in that 17 years.

My ghosts are exorcised - the new order of football is being established - and Reading FC are absolutely, a massive part of it.

QPR can eff off next season though....

Which game did you watch? The 95 play off final didnt go to penalties?

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 14 May 2012 16:08

I only wish both Bolton and QPR could have gone down, although Bolton going down as we go up might give me "closure" as the psychotherapists might say. They have been a hate team for me since 1995. I might just forgive them now.

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 14 May 2012 16:10

Friday's Legacy
floyd__streete LOLton Wanderers can eff off for the hurt of Wembley '95 and also for having Phil Gartside as chairman, the man chiefly responsible for the wretched concept of Pemier League II and zero promotion and relegation between PL and FL.

Indeed, and now he has his 39th game............ and 40th, and 41st etc

:lol:

old woman

by old woman » 14 May 2012 16:33

Still referred to as Jason effing McAteer in our house. Can't see us dropping that. :D

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 14 May 2012 16:44

Despite all the above, I would of preferred QPR to go down too. Don't like the way they ditched their whole title winning side in favour of a bunch of expensive flops, who only just them in the league.

As much as it pains me to say it, Swansea and Norwich did the right thing, stuck by the players that got them promoted, and played a style of football suiting to those players and did well with it.

I would like to think we will stick by our players, even Church :wink:, and see where it gets us. Obviously if it isn't working then fine, but QPR seemed to panic far too quickly!

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 14 May 2012 16:54

I actually stopped being bitter towards Bolton when they got done 6-0 at home my Man Utd the following season.

I can't think of Bolton without thinking about that day at Wembley though, by far the worst feeling I've ever had watching Reading. Defeats to Walsall and Swansea weren't anywhere near as bad.

Overall though, I wasn't fussed who went down. I've long since stopped holding a grudge against Bolton as a club, but it was nice to see Coyle being the man taking them down.