Are we being tight?

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

Are we being tight?

by facaldaqui » 14 Jun 2012 10:41

I'm all in favour of not being held to ransom, and all that. We've sold a string of championship players over the last few years for what seems like a standard rate of 3 million. But to buy equivalent players, we bid 2 million. To be fair, most of the ones (bar Gylfi) we sold for 3 or more million weren't worth it, but we need to get some new players from somewhere.

Once were Biscuitmen

Re: Are we being tight?

by Once were Biscuitmen » 14 Jun 2012 10:43

Despite the investment we will budget on being relegated and frame all our offers and contracts (salary reduction in the event etc) on this assumption.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 14 Jun 2012 10:55

When you bid for something do you always go in with your top price?

specialjon

by specialjon » 14 Jun 2012 11:49

Isn't it far to early to say? It's only the middle of june. I expect more movement early july once the euros are over and before our preseason friendlies.

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 14 Jun 2012 12:26

Absolutely far from it, but you don't want other clubs thinking they can up their prices just because New Money Reading are interested in their players.

Ghost Royal

by Ghost Royal » 14 Jun 2012 12:39

I tend to have far more faith in what goes on behind the scenes than what we get to hear about...have faith in our transfer strategies and policies!

LanercostRoyal

by LanercostRoyal » 14 Jun 2012 14:16

This thread is perhaps a little premature! Give the omniscient a chance!

8)

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 14 Jun 2012 15:12

Its the reading way!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Jun 2012 17:08

facaldaqui I'm all in favour of not being held to ransom, and all that. We've sold a string of championship players over the last few years for what seems like a standard rate of 3 million. But to buy equivalent players, we bid 2 million. To be fair, most of the ones (bar Gylfi) we sold for 3 or more million weren't worth it, but we need to get some new players from somewhere.

Do you not think that 14 June is a little early to be complaining about us not having paid for players? Especially with a major international tournament currently in play?

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 14 Jun 2012 17:42

Ian Royal
facaldaqui I'm all in favour of not being held to ransom, and all that. We've sold a string of championship players over the last few years for what seems like a standard rate of 3 million. But to buy equivalent players, we bid 2 million. To be fair, most of the ones (bar Gylfi) we sold for 3 or more million weren't worth it, but we need to get some new players from somewhere.

Do you not think that 14 June is a little early to be complaining about us not having paid for players? Especially with a major international tournament currently in play?

I am not complaining, I'm asking a question. It may be that we can still get Gunter or Mariappa for a good price. On the other hand, if Brian wanted either or both of them and is denied them because 2 million was our last offer, then he will have to go further down his shortlist of players.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Jun 2012 17:52

As things progress new players will become available, or will come to our attention. It's extremely early days anyway. We'll miss some players we'd like, we'll get some. It's unwarranted pessimism.

We didn't do badly when signing Gorkss in August, by your way of thinking he must have been well down the shortlist!

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 14 Jun 2012 18:02

Ian Royal As things progress new players will become available, or will come to our attention. It's extremely early days anyway. We'll miss some players we'd like, we'll get some. It's unwarranted pessimism.

We didn't do badly when signing Gorkss in August, by your way of thinking he must have been well down the shortlist!

I'm not being pessimistic. Being tight hasn't done us any harm recently.

As for Gorkss, the reason we didn't buy Gorkss till the last minute was that we couldn't afford to till then. It wasn't optimal: we could have done with him a few matches earlier. I don't want us buying players in late August. We have some money and don't have to walk a tightrope this year.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 15 Jun 2012 07:37

West Ham are buying players, Saints are buying players, we are not.

Guess who is most likely to struggle.........

Alf Hooker

by Alf Hooker » 15 Jun 2012 09:30

Avon Royal West Ham are buying players, Saints are buying players, we are not.

Westham have only signed 1 player thus far with Jaaskelainen who couldnt get into Boltons team last year also due to join end of month

Southampton signed 1 player and albeit a decent signing they've probably blown a large chunk of their budget in doing so

We've signed 1 player but clearly have intent on adding to that.

Hardly cause for concern or falling behind the other promoted teams at this stage of close season.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Jun 2012 10:11

Southampton?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 15 Jun 2012 11:17

It's not a case of being tight, we just don't want to be seen as "ready to spend". With our new owners, other clubs will be rubbing their hands together at the thought of offloading players for more than they're worth. So early in the summer, it's far more important that we shed the cash cow label.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 15 Jun 2012 11:28

We have 2.5 months to get players in.

No rush................ :wink:

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 15 Jun 2012 11:34

Norwich

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 15 Jun 2012 12:46

Sorry what? We signed someone before they both did, and a decent player at that. We're all over a number of targets. We can't get them all. There will always be more no's than yes'. And it's only mid-June! :lol: Dear me!

Avon calling. :roll:

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Jun 2012 13:31

facaldaqui
Ian Royal As things progress new players will become available, or will come to our attention. It's extremely early days anyway. We'll miss some players we'd like, we'll get some. It's unwarranted pessimism.

I'm not being pessimistic. Being tight hasn't done us any harm recently.

As for Gorkss, the reason we didn't buy Gorkss till the last minute was that we couldn't afford to till then. It wasn't optimal: we could have done with him a few matches earlier. I don't want us buying players in late August. We have some money and don't have to walk a tightrope this year.
Didn't we get Gorks because Southampton were messing about on the deal so Neil Warnock phones Brian McDermott and asked him if he was interested, Then told Gorks he'd fit in better there and told him to detour.