SIGNED - Pavel Pogrebnyak

1333 posts
Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Pavel Pogrebnyak

by Friday's Legacy » 20 Jun 2012 20:20

It certainly sends out a message to the rest of the clubs we are going to be competing with to stay up. Having had a brief look at a Fulham forum they appear to share mixed reviews on him, but it was clear to see last season he can act as a target man, is a handful for defenders and clearly has an eye for goal. On a free and even at 35k a week, it's a very astute signing!

TheVeryLoyalRoyal

by TheVeryLoyalRoyal » 20 Jun 2012 20:23

In my opinion we need another striker in Rhodes a CAM, CDM, LB,RB and a CB and we will be sorted for assault on the PL

Bumblebee

by Bumblebee » 20 Jun 2012 20:52

If this happens, it's a dreadful sign of intent. Ooh, lookylook, let's sign players up on exorbitant wages and long contracts so that when they flop, they're a nightmare to get rid of.

See you in League One in 3 years.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 20 Jun 2012 20:57

Bumblebee If this happens, it's a dreadful sign of intent. Ooh, lookylook, let's sign players up on exorbitant wages and long contracts so that when they flop, they're a nightmare to get rid of.

Ok, bye then

Bumblebee

by Bumblebee » 20 Jun 2012 21:05

RobRoyal
Bumblebee If this happens, it's a dreadful sign of intent. Ooh, lookylook, let's sign players up on exorbitant wages and long contracts so that when they flop, they're a nightmare to get rid of.

Ok, bye then

Cheers. Enjoy the club mortgaging its future/'buying' its Prem status. Completely classless in either case.

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 20 Jun 2012 21:05

As good as a signing this will be (if true), I suspect it'll be one of only two or three at the most at such high wages. The Reading way (and what Roberts has suggested) is to keep the core of the team the same. The only other realistic position IMO is a right back.

(Kyle McNaughton anyone?)

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 20 Jun 2012 21:06

tbf it's "only" £35k per week - that's an average premiership wage and it's what we need to start paying unless we just want to stay in the championship.

Bumblebee

by Bumblebee » 20 Jun 2012 21:09

TBM

tbf it's "only" £35k per week - that's an average premiership wage and it's what we need to start paying unless we just want to stay in the championship.

That's an average wage at daft newcomers and midtable profligates. I didn't think we wanted to be one of those teams.

It's like Man City fans bemoaning Chelsea's league title purchase then jizzing into their ham and cheese barms when they signed Robinho.

Reading fans: turncoats to a man.

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 20 Jun 2012 21:12

TBM

Hear Hear, would Bumblebee rather we bought promising Championship or League One players on £25k/week and almost certainly get relegated?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 20 Jun 2012 21:12

Jason Roberts is on close to £30k per week and nobody moaned when he signed

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Jun 2012 21:13

RFCSPACE As good as a signing this will be (if true), I suspect it'll be one of only two or three at the most at such high wages. The Reading way (and what Roberts has suggested) is to keep the core of the team the same. The only other realistic position IMO is a right back.

You can't just make names up

Bumblebee

by Bumblebee » 20 Jun 2012 21:15

TBM Jason Roberts is on close to £30k per week and nobody moaned when he signed

Is he? Christ.

Bad precedent set then. Threw money around in January and got promotion. Are they expecting to chuck a load of money at the Prem to 'guarantee' survival? And what happens then we just survive? Got to spend another fortune just to tick over? We'll be chasing our tail until we get dizzy and fall over.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 20 Jun 2012 21:17

Bumblebee
TBM

That's an average wage at daft newcomers and midtable profligates. I didn't think we wanted to be one of those teams.

It's like Man City fans bemoaning Chelsea's league title purchase then jizzing into their ham and cheese barms when they signed Robinho.

Reading fans: turncoats to a man.

Lol, what a load of bull.

Buzz off

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 20 Jun 2012 21:17

Pepe the Horseman
RFCSPACE As good as a signing this will be (if true), I suspect it'll be one of only two or three at the most at such high wages. The Reading way (and what Roberts has suggested) is to keep the core of the team the same. The only other realistic position IMO is a right back.

You can't just make names up

Gary McNeville? :oops:

Bumblebee

by Bumblebee » 20 Jun 2012 21:18

winchester_royal Buzz off

Brilliant.

Now tell me why I'm wrong.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 20 Jun 2012 21:19

Bumblebee

Is he? Christ.

Bad precedent set then. Threw money around in January and got promotion. Are they expecting to chuck a load of money at the Prem to 'guarantee' survival? And what happens then we just survive? Got to spend another fortune just to tick over? We'll be chasing our tail until we get dizzy and fall over.

It is a prerequisite for being in the premier league. Unless we are willing to spend, and spend much more than we have in the past, we will not remain there.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 20 Jun 2012 21:21

Bumblebee

Is he? Christ.

What on earth were you expecting?

Bumblebee

by Bumblebee » 20 Jun 2012 21:22

Libertine
Bumblebee

Is he? Christ.

It is a prerequisite for being in the premier league. Unless we are willing to spend, and spend much more than we have in the past, we will not remain there.

Don't misunderstand, the 9 mins in the run up to the final whistle against Forest were up there with the best minutes of my life, but it's now dawned on me that we've relinquished our moral high ground in the world of football finance. We're now going to be a "throw money at a problem and hope it goes away club" as we run up commitments that we can only meet by spending more money.

We're a pyramid scheme and we're New Labour.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 20 Jun 2012 21:23

Bumblebee
winchester_royal Buzz off

Brilliant.

Now tell me why I'm wrong.

Because Pogrebniak is an international striker who has an excellent goal scoring record and will bring height and presence to our front line. Players like him don't come cheap, and 35k a week is more than reasonable for a player of his pedigree in his prime years. It's not like we're chucking money at everyone (ala West Ham)..we're working intelligently with the expanded budget we now have thanks to both promotion and Anton's investment.

Bumblebee

by Bumblebee » 20 Jun 2012 21:23

paultheroyal
Bumblebee

Is he? Christ.

What on earth were you expecting?

Cash in. Take the money and win the Championship again in a few years. It's the best place for us to be.

1333 posts