SIGNED - Nicky Shorey

376 posts
MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: SIGNED - Nicky Shorey

by MouldyRoyal » 11 Jul 2012 10:41

It's the prem, it's not supposed to be easy. We're going to concede goals and we will lose games. Survival is the aim here.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 11 Jul 2012 10:58

Not to bothered about the circumstances surrounding him leaving, as players tend not to have high levels of loyalty.

What concerns me the most is his record at the top level, he's not ripped up trees at three clubs, so I hope I'm wrong, but it appears he isn't good enough.

West Brom are like us, can hardly afford to let players go who are good enough, so for them to let him go for nish, that sends out the message, he isn't good enough.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Jul 2012 11:06

No Fixed Abode
ZacNaloen I remember Ronaldo absolutely rinsing Murty to score a goal at the Madejski stadium. It was embarassing.

Exactly. Don't get me wrong, Murty did well in the Prem. However, over the course of a season, if you're lacking a bit in pace or technical ability you will get found out from time to time.

But we managed to finish 8th, so it wasn't that much of a deal.

Pace is overrated.

Nudger

by Nudger » 11 Jul 2012 11:22

ZacNaloen I remember Ronaldo absolutely rinsing Murty to score a goal at the Madejski stadium. It was embarassing.

I remember Ronaldo pretty much doing that to better right backs than Murty on a weekly basis. Murty is quite bizarrely underrated by Reading fans

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 11 Jul 2012 11:23

Nudger

I remember Ronaldo pretty much doing that to better right backs than Murty on a weekly basis. Murty is quite bizarrely underrated by Reading fans

Probably stems from ALWAYS being utter garbage on CM/FM :evil:

Loyal Royal Royal

by Loyal Royal Royal » 11 Jul 2012 11:25

like many others i am surprised at the negativity over this signing.

i also think that leaving us to join what was at the time a top 6 club for more money, a higher profile and the chance of winning silverware doesn't seem that disloyal in the current climate.

also being slightly negative, one of our best chances of scoring next season will be from free kicks and giving harte a new contract and the signing of shorey may look like good business

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 11 Jul 2012 11:35

I'm not against this signing on any principle, I don't think he ever recaptured his form after he lost it at Reading and decided to leave. Perhaps, with the environment we have, he can find it again here.

He was a good player on his day, Ian Harte shows it's possible to get that back in the right environment with the right mind set.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 11 Jul 2012 11:42

Extended-Phenotype Pace is overrated.

Not if you are in a race with Usain Bolt and want to beat him. :wink:

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 11 Jul 2012 12:40

Harte probably for the 30 yard free kicks as he needs the distance to get the power and dip thats just his technique being the way it is.

Shorey better at free kicks typically when they are in and around the D not renowned so much for his power prefers curling it round the wall.

Not that we will be in a position where both players will be playing at the same time I imagine. My only criticism of Shorey when you compare him with Harte is that his weak foot ability is shockingly bad and as a result is very reluctant to use it when he should be using his right foot instead of the outside of his left.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Jul 2012 13:17

Can I just check whether this signing is:

a) A low risk signing.
b) A sign(ing) of intent.
c) Both of the above.
d) any other empty cliche used by Reading FC and supposed ITK RFC fans on HNA and Twitter.

Thanks.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 11 Jul 2012 13:22

Nudger

Murty actually performed quite well against Ronaldo compared to the right backs at every other premiership club.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Jul 2012 13:24

Nudger

Lol @ this. He's one of the most overrated players we've ever had.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Jul 2012 13:25

Pepe the Horseman Lol @ this. He's one of the most overrated players we've ever had.

Yep, tbf he's captain of the RFC overrated XI and Archie Lovell is playing up front (and still mistiming his jumps).

In interests of balance, both would be in the RFC Thoroughly-nice-bloke XI too.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 11 Jul 2012 13:29

floyd__streete
Pepe the Horseman Lol @ this. He's one of the most overrated players we've ever had.

Yep, tbf he's captain of the RFC overrated XI and Archie Lovell is playing up front (and still mistiming his jumps).

Did fans ever really rate Archie? He was good and had a couple of above average seasons in 1993/94 -94/95 but otherwise I seem to remember the perception was roughly on a par with how Noel Hunt is viewed now.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Jul 2012 13:34

Wimb
floyd__streete Yep, tbf he's captain of the RFC overrated XI and Archie Lovell is playing up front (and still mistiming his jumps).

Did fans ever really rate Archie? He was good and had a couple of above average seasons in 1993/94 -94/95 but otherwise I seem to remember the perception was roughly on a par with how Noel Hunt is viewed now.

Yep, fair assesment actually. I like Noel Hunt as a bloke but I don't think he is really all that good as a footballer, yep.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Jul 2012 13:46

His goal against West Ham last season was my favourite goal, in terms of pandemonium rating.

BrockManson

by BrockManson » 11 Jul 2012 13:53

Nudger

I've yet to see a better RB at the club in my time following. He seemed to get better with each season despite his pretty advancing years! Dedicated club servant and it was great to see him performing well in the prem in the 8th placed finish season.

SHOOT!

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Jul 2012 13:55

floyd__streete

Spin-off thread :arrow:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jul 2012 15:11

No Fixed Abode

Exactly. Don't get me wrong, Murty did well in the Prem. However, over the course of a season, if you're lacking a bit in pace or technical ability you will get found out from time to time.

Which applies to every player we could possibly attract. Oh no, Ronaldo scored a goal. Oh no, Harte / Shorey are going to get found out from time to time. So they're basically the same as Ashley Cole then.

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 11 Jul 2012 15:18

I remember Nicky Shorey in two ways.

1. My favourite left-back we've ever had at this club. (Harte has probably replaced him now because of all the happy free-kick moments, assists and goals.)
2. The little prick who we plucked from obscurity who suddenly went from being our most conscientious and reliable defender, to a disinterested cock.

As it's free Floyd, it falls into "low-risk signing". An in-form Shorey vs an in-form Ian Harte is what they call in boxing a "pick 'em" affair. I'm siding with Ian Harte - just because we weren't exactly creative masterminds last season, and Ian Harte is a goal machine from set-pieces.

As an aside, anyone who has said Shorey's set-pieces are even close to Ian Harte's fine offerings are simply ridiculous. A Snowball statto attack would be very welcome here.

376 posts