by No Fixed Abode » 11 Jul 2012 16:31

Nick Shorey, Shorey
What ever will be, will be
from West Brom on a free
Nick Shorey, Shorey...

RoyalX

Re: SIGNED - Nicky Shorey

by RoyalX » 11 Jul 2012 16:33

My abiding memory of Shorey's last year at RFC is him getting absolutely rinsed for pace by John Utaka for Portsmouth's 2nd goal in a 2-0 defeat.

Can't see how people feel that this won't be a problem :|

On another note, do you reckon he'll take penalties too if Harte's not playing?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 11 Jul 2012 17:01

RoyalX My abiding memory of Shorey's last year at RFC is him getting absolutely rinsed for pace by John Utaka for Portsmouth's 2nd goal in a 2-0 defeat.

Shorey was ill that day and only played because the alternative was Golbourne. Normally he's much quicker than he was that day (look at how he used to surge out of defence with the ball), though he was still only nippy, never genuinely fast. I think some of his pace may have gone with age though.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jul 2012 17:40

SCIAG
RoyalX My abiding memory of Shorey's last year at RFC is him getting absolutely rinsed for pace by John Utaka for Portsmouth's 2nd goal in a 2-0 defeat.

Shorey was ill that day and only played because the alternative was Golbourne. Normally he's much quicker than he was that day (look at how he used to surge out of defence with the ball), though he was still only nippy, never genuinely fast. I think some of his pace may have gone with age though.

And of course, he wasn't near his best that season and the whole team was shite in the game. A properly organised, in form defence and midfield and it wouldn't have happened.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Jul 2012 18:22

genome His goal against West Ham last season was my favourite goal, in terms of pandemonium rating.

Hunty's? Yep, but I think I basically fell about LOLing that the gobby Essex cants had basically played us off the park for 45 and were now going in 1-2 down. In terms of pandemonium I'd say ALF's two goals at S8nts were stand out bulging-eyed fall-about hat-stand moments of the second decade of the 21st century thus far for me.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 11 Jul 2012 19:16

SCIAG

Capello was at that game. That was the moment in time that ended his England career. I think it was about a 20 yard head start from memory !! The pace issue is a red herring though unless we change the way we play. Which we won't !

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Jul 2012 19:33

floyd__streete
genome His goal against West Ham last season was my favourite goal, in terms of pandemonium rating.

Hunty's? Yep, but I think I basically fell about LOLing that the gobby Essex cants had basically played us off the park for 45 and were now going in 1-2 down. In terms of pandemonium I'd say ALF's two goals at S8nts were stand out bulging-eyed fall-about hat-stand moments of the second decade of the 21st century thus far for me.

I wasn't at the Saints game, as I was working ( :roll: ) so I couldn't comment. But did you see the old bloke with the glasses on the top tier giving us all the oxf*rd sign? His eyes were so full of rage, I swear if he were set amongst then he would have genuinely tried to shank the lot of us.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 11 Jul 2012 20:00

In Brian We Trust

If Nicky is considered good enough, I will be delighted to see him back.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 11 Jul 2012 20:16

floyd__streete

'greed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXbZGoR8sJ8

what a moment!

Albert Spangler
Hob Nob Regular

by Albert Spangler » 11 Jul 2012 20:32

floyd__streete

Not a bad time to go to my first away game last season. To be honest, I didn't clap, cheer or anything. I just looked around, aghast, soaking up the incredible feeling.

Blakey's Right Peg

by Blakey's Right Peg » 11 Jul 2012 20:37

seahawk10
floyd__streete

'greed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXbZGoR8sJ8

what a moment!

Superb stuff. A truly awesome evening!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: SPECULATION - Nicky Shorey

by Woodcote Royal » 11 Jul 2012 22:27

Alan Partridge Woodcote will be pleased.

This is one selfish pr*ck I thought we'd seen the last of. Back in the days when we couldn't afford 2 left backs, this guy played every week regardless as long as he was fit. On the only occasion he was injured long term, a right footed midfielder of limited ability stepped into the breach so effectively that he wasn't missed.

How did Shorey repay the club who plucked him from the obscurity of Orient reserves, taking him up through the leagues to the Premiership and eventually to the ultimate glory of an England cap? He went on a 9 month sulk when a transfer to West Ham fell through :|

Shorey will have to walk through many brick walls before he gets an ounce of support from me. You owe us big time, Sunshine :evil:

Having said all that, Brian McDermott has earned the right to sign Noddy and Big Ears if he feels so inclined and will continue to enjoy my unwavering support.

Furthermore, Shorey would do well to realise that he is being given a chance to resurrect his flagging career by a very shrewd manager who is risking very little of his budget on the outcome. If selfish Shorey sh*ts on us again, he'll be third choice before the next transfer window opens and out the door next summer.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 11 Jul 2012 23:15

Woodcote Royal

This is one selfish pr*ck I thought we'd seen the last of. Back in the days when we couldn't afford 2 left backs, this guy played every week regardless as long as he was fit. On the only occasion he was injured long term, a right footed midfielder of limited ability stepped into the breach so effectively that he wasn't missed.

How did Shorey repay the club who plucked him from the obscurity of Orient reserves, taking him up through the leagues to the Premiership and eventually to the ultimate glory of an England cap? He went on a 9 month sulk when a transfer to West Ham fell through :|

Shorey will have to walk through many brick walls before he gets an ounce of support from me. You owe us big time, Sunshine :evil:

Having said all that, Brian McDermott has earned the right to sign Noddy and Big Ears if he feels so inclined and will continue to enjoy my unwavering support.

Furthermore, Shorey would do well to realise that he is being given a chance to resurrect his flagging career by a very shrewd manager who is risking very little of his budget on the outcome. If selfish Shorey sh*ts on us again, he'll be third choice before the next transfer window opens and out the door next summer.
Shorey gave us 6 years great service and 1 bad one when the squad as a whole failed.

For years in Division 1/ the Championship, he was by far our most creative outlet when playing at left back and was the model of consistency. He stepped up to the Premier League in 06/07 with no issues and put in some outstanding displays. He gave me one of my proudest moments as a Reading fan seeing one of our players in an England shirt; I never thought I'd see the day.

The manner in which he conducted himself in his final year and the way he left has always left a bitter taste, so I'm glad that he can come back and end his Reading career in a more fitting way. I'm assuming his experiences since leaving us have grounded him somewhat and the attitude we saw from him in 2008 is a thing of the past. McD has already shown what can be achieved by signing "past it" players with a hunger to prove themselves again. I'm sure the same can be achieved here. Welcome back Nicky; end your Reading career more appropriately this time.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 12 Jul 2012 00:24

Your assessment of Shorey's first 5 seasons with us is typical East Stand fantasy where only the return of Nicky "Can't score, won't score" Foster would have a greater effect on the match day ejaculation count.

He was my player of the season when we missed a place in Europe by one point but, apart from that, our one footed full back was alway light years away from being the most creative player...................................even in that season how the fcuk was he more creative than Little :|

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 12 Jul 2012 09:23

You're embarrassing yourself now Woodcote

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 12 Jul 2012 09:26

Ooof, battle of the underscore royals.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 12 Jul 2012 09:28

Bit of a fail for you there Orange

BrockManson

by BrockManson » 12 Jul 2012 09:38

Woodcote Royal

I agree to some extent. He played the second half of the relegation season knowing full well he was going to get a move elsewhere. There were several players who played like that though, which is a big factor in getting relegated.

He was brilliant for 5 years and going forward he was class, but the England cap was his peak - he's been crap ever since.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Jul 2012 10:35

very pleased with this signing.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 12 Jul 2012 10:46

Good, I'm glad

376 posts