Friendly; Palace (H) - The final countdown

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

Re: Friendly; Palace (H) - The final countdown

by urz13 » 11 Aug 2012 20:09

My thoughts - Guthrie was absoloutely superb, defense splitting passes, 50yd cross field balls, back heels, everything. Fantastic. Leigertwood seemed back to his best and showe some nice passes too.

Defense wise Harte and Gunter were fairly solid and good going forward. Gorkks and Pearce as good as ever. Palace got in behind twice though.

McCleary was excellent in the second half, skilful, quick and a decent cross. Pog was physical and strong all game, linked well with Alf, could've scored a couple, had one blocked somehow, missed when 1v1 and made no connection with an attempted header. Took his goal well and made some good runs in behind. Alf was Alf.

I've left HRK until last becuase he was MOTM for me. He beat his man consistently and not only got crosses in, but top quality - premiership quality - crosses in every single time (bar one). He just needs to perform to this standard more often. Fantastic ball in for Alf's goal.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular

by urz13 » 11 Aug 2012 20:10

Royal Farmer Reading 2-0 Crystal Palace

First half was a typical pre-season game with not much to really report. Palace had one chance when a cross swung to the back post was headed just over, whilst the Pog dinked our best opening over the bar after a great ball from one of our midfielders, can't remember which! During the second half we were much better, with the Pog scoring his first goal for Reading after a McCleary was put through down the right by Guthrie and then cut it back well. Alf then scored minutes later after sliding home a great low cross form the left by Hal.

The most noticeable thing I took from the game was the quality of our new signings:

Guthrie stole the show for me, seamlessly spreading the ball from side to side and never scared to send it forward. If he keeps performing like today he'll be one of the best passing midfielders I've ever seen at Reading and will make it tough for Jem to get back in the side. He is certainly the creative midfielder we were all asking for last season and was great to watch :D I now expect many more chances to come through the middle of the park this season, besides our standard wing play.

McCleary was a bit sloppy during the first half but persisted and ran his man into the ground during the second with superb pace and trickery. We certainly have adequate cover on the wings if he can keep doing that, and Jimmy will have a tricky time regaining his place when he gets back.

Pogrebnyak strikes me as a Roberts that can head the ball when it is pumped long! Big guy who is also technically proficient and brings others into play too. Works hard and will be an asset.

Gunter looked capable and linked up well with McCleary, clearly they have an understanding from their Forest days. Also saw him covering well when required, and for his first game back was generally encouraging. Don't know whether Cummings will come back for Stoke but we again now have decent cover down the right at least.

As for Mariappa, he didn't have much to do when he came on but as he did nothing wrong I'll deem him amazing for optimisms sake.

Otherwise our old hands seemed to be reaching match sharpness and I've been left feeling pretty confident about this season to come! I think we've added well and we might even surprise those who have decided little old Reading are shoe ins for relegation.

It was Guthrie with the little dink for Pog in the first half :P

Royal Farmer

by Royal Farmer » 11 Aug 2012 20:12

Even better!!! He's my favourite player already!!!! :D

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 11 Aug 2012 21:07

The perfect friendly to end with...

-Clean sheet for Feds and the back four
-Bossed the centre of midfield
-Both wingers with an assist each
-Both strikers with a goal each

Guthrie was my man of the match with some superb passing on display. Also refreshing to have a different option to Harte for set-pieces. In fact, with the two of them in the squad (plus Shorey) I've got a feeling we might be nicking a fair few points this season through set plays!

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 11 Aug 2012 21:28

Royal Farmer Reading 2-0 Crystal Palace

First half was a typical pre-season game with not much to really report. Palace had one chance when a cross swung to the back post was headed just over, whilst the Pog dinked our best opening over the bar after a great ball from one of our midfielders, can't remember which! During the second half we were much better, with the Pog scoring his first goal for Reading after a McCleary was put through down the right by Guthrie and then cut it back well. Alf then scored minutes later after sliding home a great low cross form the left by Hal.

The most noticeable thing I took from the game was the quality of our new signings:

Guthrie stole the show for me, seamlessly spreading the ball from side to side and never scared to send it forward. If he keeps performing like today he'll be one of the best passing midfielders I've ever seen at Reading and will make it tough for Jem to get back in the side. He is certainly the creative midfielder we were all asking for last season and was great to watch :D I now expect many more chances to come through the middle of the park this season, besides our standard wing play.

McCleary was a bit sloppy during the first half but persisted and ran his man into the ground during the second with superb pace and trickery. We certainly have adequate cover on the wings if he can keep doing that, and Jimmy will have a tricky time regaining his place when he gets back.

Pogrebnyak strikes me as a Roberts that can head the ball when it is pumped long! Big guy who is also technically proficient and brings others into play too. Works hard and will be an asset.

Gunter looked capable and linked up well with McCleary, clearly they have an understanding from their Forest days. Also saw him covering well when required, and for his first game back was generally encouraging. Don't know whether Cummings will come back for Stoke but we again now have decent cover down the right at least.

As for Mariappa, he didn't have much to do when he came on but as he did nothing wrong I'll deem him amazing for optimisms sake.

Otherwise our old hands seemed to be reaching match sharpness and I've been left feeling pretty confident about this season to come! I think we've added well and we might even surprise those who have decided little old Reading are shoe ins for relegation.

Deluded if you think Gunter is cover for Cummings. Gunter will be first choice, he is twice the player

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 11 Aug 2012 21:37

Royal Prince The perfect friendly to end with...

Guthrie was my man of the match with some superb passing on display. Also refreshing to have a different option to Harte for set-pieces. In fact, with the two of them in the squad (plus Shorey) I've got a feeling we might be nicking a fair few points this season through set plays!

Also nice knowing that Saints went down 4-0 to Udinese

A good performance which fills me with confidence for next weekend. Take that schedule haters!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Aug 2012 22:07

royalp-we
Royal Prince The perfect friendly to end with...

Also nice knowing that Saints went down 4-0 to Udinese

A good performance which fills me with confidence for next weekend. Take that schedule haters!

LOL

And this, kiddies, is why we didn't want to play a top European team a week before our first game.

Royal Farmer

by Royal Farmer » 11 Aug 2012 22:12

Deluded if you think Gunter is cover for Cummings. Gunter will be first choice, he is twice the player[/quote]

Sorry, lost in translation there! What I meant was that whoever starts, I think we'll be ok for cover down that flank, whether it be Cummings or Gunter on the bench. I think you're probably right that it will be Gunter who starts and that won't be a bad thing, but I still like Cummings and think he can certainly do a job for us this season.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 12 Aug 2012 00:12

My views of the new lads...

Guthrie for me was a class act...definitely what we have been missing for years...has some really good qualities, seemed to be everywhere and always managed to create space and time on the ball and never seemed panicked when closed down. Jem for all of his energy will struggle to get in ahead of Guthrie....for me Jem runs around and covers alot of ground everytime he plays...however, alot of this running around is due to his lack of reading the game...Guthrie reads the game extremely well and pops up all over the place without seemingly breaking sweat...and his ability and desire to pass the ball reduces the 'hoofball'...in fact alot of play is linked up via Guthrie...A GREAT SIGNING BY BRIAN.

Gunter & McCleary...the two as a pair to begin with...Excellent link up and understanding down the right...combined well going forward and also covered each other defensively...the perfect partnership...Now Gunter...a very good solid right back...for a few seasons we have based our success on being solid at the back, by that it usually means being consistent and having players who will score you 7 out of 10 every match...Gunter will certainly manage at least a 7...reads the game well, fitted in seamlessly and didn't look like a 'rabbit in headlights' when the ball came to him...nothing against Cummings, but Gunter is better simply put. McCleary now, first half didn't really do much and made me question if Forest had stitched us up and it was McGugan we were meant to have signed!!...2nd half though he was a different player...very direct, has a few tricks, and is a combination of Kebe, Mcanuff and Hal all rolled into one...He's not as fast or as 'lucky' as Kebe, is very similar to McAnuff in how he attacks the fullback and then has the composure to deliver quite a few decent crosses, slightly better than Hal.

The Pog...A real handful...powerful, strong, composed and unselfish...all rolled into one...will cause a defenders a fair few problems...will score goals but also has an eye to pick out a team mate...best move of the 1st half, he chased down a through ball and had an opportunity to get off a 'speculative' shot (tight angle, which alot of strikers would try, knowing full well they won't socre), instead he had the sense to look up and cut a low ball back towards the penalty spot where the on-rushing Guthrie hit the shot which was blocked by 2 Palace defenders just throwing themselves, last ditched at the ball...

I'm not being all RTG about it and I expect the season to be tough...but what I will say is that the new signings have certainly taken us up another level...even with Anton's money we aren't in a position to go silly and attempt to sign Messi, Ronaldo etc...but these astute signings will certainly allow us to compete in the Premiership...the energy, desire and team spirit will help aswell...expect us to lose games, expect us to concede goals...however, I can see signs of us being able to score and create goals...I predict that there will be 3 teams worse than us next season...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Aug 2012 00:24

Getting really excited about the season. Guthrie sounds like the player I've been looking for in our midfield since Sidwell left. Hopefully he can step up to the plate better than Howard and Matejovsky, who both flattered and failed to deliver. And obviously Fae, who didn't even bother to flatter.

No pressure. :)

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 12 Aug 2012 00:29

Ian Royal Getting really excited about the season. Guthrie sounds like the player I've been looking for in our midfield since Sidwell left. Hopefully he can step up to the plate better than Howard and Matejovsky, who both flattered and failed to deliver. And obviously Fae, who didn't even bother to flatter.

No pressure. :)

Not wanting to burst the bubble :wink: but another comparison is that Guthrie is very similar to Oster in the way he plays...but just abit more successful with where the passes end up!!! :lol:

Girdler_Massive

by Girdler_Massive » 12 Aug 2012 01:53

Were any Reading players sporting pink boots? They were everywhere during the olympics, hope they're not catching on.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 12 Aug 2012 09:11

Agreed with most of the comments over the new boys, it was a much better game and it's clear the starting 11 will start the Stoke game.

I thought the through ball for the first goal was from Ledge not Guthrie, it was the best move of the game and a cracking goal. I hope Ledge isn't injured as he seemed to take a knock. There was a much better team display but we are still pumping balls in the channels for the Pog or Alf to chase, I'm not sure that's too effective for them, they both like it played to feet or to run onto.

royal67

by royal67 » 12 Aug 2012 10:12

Girdler_Massive Were any Reading players sporting pink boots? They were everywhere during the olympics, hope they're not catching on.

The Pog....... Maybe you should have a word with the 6'2" man mountain about them.......

royal67

by royal67 » 12 Aug 2012 10:28

Turns8 My views of the new lads...

McCleary now, first half didn't really do much and made me question if Forest had stitched us up and it was McGugan we were meant to have signed!!...2nd half though he was a different player...very direct, has a few tricks, and is a combination of Kebe, Mcanuff and Hal all rolled into one...He's not as fast or as 'lucky' as Kebe, is very similar to McAnuff in how he attacks the fullback and then has the composure to deliver quite a few decent crosses, slightly better than Hal.

Massive understatement. I'm still not convinced by Hal..... A lot of puff and bluster but he's still far too inconsistent. Yes there were a couple of inspirational moments from him yesterday but he's streets behind our other wing meisters. He will be found out this season......

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 12 Aug 2012 11:25

Royal Farmer Deluded if you think Gunter is cover for Cummings. Gunter will be first choice, he is twice the player

Sorry, lost in translation there! What I meant was that whoever starts, I think we'll be ok for cover down that flank, whether it be Cummings or Gunter on the bench. I think you're probably right that it will be Gunter who starts and that won't be a bad thing, but I still like Cummings and think he can certainly do a job for us this season.[/quote]

However, 'deluded' is a touch harsh. I think they will be a good match for each other and we now have good cover in that position. When one is not fit or off form we have a quality replacement - either way.

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 12 Aug 2012 11:30

Girdler_Massive Were any Reading players sporting pink boots? They were everywhere during the olympics, hope they're not catching on.

ALF and McCleary were both sporting the nasty pink and white Nike boots that seemingly every player wore at the Euro's and Olympics I'm affraid. Harte however had a similar pair on but in white and black which looked a bit more classy.

Boots can say alot about a players mentality. For example the flair players mentioned above seem happy to draw attention to themselves in any which way they can, whereas your tough tackling no-nonsense players like Pearce and Leigertwood seem to prefer a plain black boot In fact, in Leigertwood's case, they are so plain I don't think you can even make out a manufacturers logo or anything on them.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 12 Aug 2012 11:30

West Stand Man
Royal Farmer Deluded if you think Gunter is cover for Cummings. Gunter will be first choice, he is twice the player

Sorry, lost in translation there! What I meant was that whoever starts, I think we'll be ok for cover down that flank, whether it be Cummings or Gunter on the bench. I think you're probably right that it will be Gunter who starts and that won't be a bad thing, but I still like Cummings and think he can certainly do a job for us this season.

However, 'deluded' is a touch harsh. I think they will be a good match for each other and we now have good cover in that position. When one is not fit or off form we have a quality replacement - either way.[/quote]

Cummings is not a quality replacemnt, not Premier League standard, was rarely Championship standard. I like him, but hes emergency cover at best. I think if Gunter was injured and Pearce and Gorkks are going strong, Marriapa would slot into RB

urz13
Hob Nob Regular

by urz13 » 12 Aug 2012 11:44

royal67
Turns8 My views of the new lads...

McCleary now, first half didn't really do much and made me question if Forest had stitched us up and it was McGugan we were meant to have signed!!...2nd half though he was a different player...very direct, has a few tricks, and is a combination of Kebe, Mcanuff and Hal all rolled into one...He's not as fast or as 'lucky' as Kebe, is very similar to McAnuff in how he attacks the fullback and then has the composure to deliver quite a few decent crosses, slightly better than Hal.

Massive understatement. I'm still not convinced by Hal..... A lot of puff and bluster but he's still far too inconsistent. Yes there were a couple of inspirational moments from him yesterday but he's streets behind our other wing meisters. He will be found out this season......

:|

Hal was superb yesterday, didn't give it away once, fantastic crosses, beat his man, tracked back well. He was better than McCleary, who's crossing was 50% great and 50% crap.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 12 Aug 2012 12:09

LoyalRoyal22 Cummings is not a quality replacemnt, not Premier League standard, was rarely Championship standard. I like him, but hes emergency cover at best. I think if Gunter was injured and Pearce and Gorkks are going strong, Marriapa would slot into RB

Huh? Did absolutely fine last season. This comment would have been reasonable at the start of his first season here (i.e. in Rodgers' reign) but was clearly a very competent Championship defender last season. I reckon he'd be adequate cover for Gunter in the Prem.