Lawro's Predictions

418 posts
RFCSPACE

Re: Lawro's Predictions

by RFCSPACE » 24 Aug 2012 14:00

Let's all kiss Paul Merson's ass as he doesn't predict we will lose. Someone that knows something about football at last! :roll:

Sunderland v Reading
PAUL PREDICTS: 1-1
Reading were unlucky to lose to Chelsea in midweek and I think they'll get something out of this game because I can't see how Sunderland are going to hurt them. They don't have very much up front at the moment and may rely on counter-attacking football. Reading have had a hard start against Stoke, Chelsea and Sunderland and if they get a draw from this one I think they'll be happy.

DandyRoyal

by DandyRoyal » 24 Aug 2012 15:52

It interests me that Southampton's game against City was pretty comparable to the Royals V Chelsea; newly promoted sides, 2-1 up, stirring performance away at top opposition, sadly at the end of the 90 all for naught. Lawro made this set of predictions with the matches thus far fresh in mind. However, in the Southampton V Wigan prediction we hear:

'I liked what I saw of Southampton in their defeat against Manchester City on Sunday. They were gritty, worked hard and had a go at the champions.'

We get:

'They give lots of opportunities to the opposition and they have found out the hard way what it is like to be back among the big boys. You can get away with the mistakes you make in the Championship but, as everyone knows, you get punished in the Premier League.' + 'Yes, they were a bit unlucky against Chelsea'

Almost universally in the media we have been praised for our performance but all we get from Lawro is 'a bit unlucky'. It makes me sad, his predictions for 06-07 were terrible for us and I'm sure I recall his predictions that season for us were worse than his predictions for any other team. Why does he hate us so?

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 24 Aug 2012 16:06

Lawro predicted us to fall away at the end of last season and for West Ham to go up in one of the automatic spots. Having not learned his lesson from this - that we are actually a good side - he is predicting doom for us this season too. This suggests to me he is either stupid and doesn't see what's right in front of him or he has a grudge against Reading and wants to see us fail, if only just to be proven right.

If you look at his comments from last season into this he is very disparaging of Reading's chances and disrespectful of our team, from what I've seen.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 24 Aug 2012 16:14

He famously blundered his way through the predictions during our season in 2006/07, and as night follows day we're back in the Prem and we can enjoy a similar woeful standard of punditry from this idiot all over again. It's not just us though, it seems he rarely gets anybody's results right!

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 24 Aug 2012 17:24

Lawrenson is STILL bitter that Robin Friday kicked him in the face and took a dump in his kit bag.....either that or he actually has no clue about football at all....

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 24 Aug 2012 17:50

lawro is an ignorant bell end

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 24 Aug 2012 17:51

Stuboo Lawro predicted us to fall away at the end of last season and for West Ham to go up in one of the automatic spots. Having not learned his lesson from this - that we are actually a good side - he is predicting doom for us this season too. This suggests to me he is either stupid and doesn't see what's right in front of him or he has a grudge against Reading and wants to see us fail, if only just to be proven right.

or he's just lazy and ignorant, and assumes the bigger clubs will do best.

I'm sure there's no grudge in the slightest. He just thinks Reading are a small club, and therefore can't be as good as clubs with a premiership pedigree like West Ham and Southampton.

The fact that the BBC can put him up as their expert tipster, unless it's some kind of inside joke, just says it all.

If you want to be annoyed then get annoyed with the BBC for allowing puddle-depth knowledge to masquerade as expertise.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 24 Aug 2012 17:54

He's to Reading what Anne Robinson is to Wales, as far as I'm concerned. A nemesis. And yes, I am annoyed with the BBC for inflicting Lawrenson on us.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Aug 2012 18:34

Extended-Phenotype
John Madejski's Wallet tbf I thought that was a fairly balanced view of things in his prediction

I don't think it's a case of vendetta, but it's hard to see what he got right in his summary.

Having said that, not sure we can keep excusing Fed's f/ck ups as abnormal circumstance. 3 of the 5 goals conceded have been his fault entirely and it's only been two games. You could say statistically so far, it's pretty normal behaviour for him!

Let me put what I'm about to say in context. I'm not particular fond of Federici. I think McCarthy is quite probably a better prospect. I was not impressed with Feds howler quotiant in previous years, but I don't think he's a crap keeper.

In saying that, I would never and can see no sane reason to criticise Federici for Chelsea's fourth goal. Not every keeper would go up, but he's scored a goal for us to rescue points in the past, so frankly, its his perogative to go forward. We will get caught out because of this occasionally, but then it's only going to happen in the dying minutes of games we're going to be losing by one goal. So it doesn't matter if we get caught out. It hugely matters if it has ever won us some points.

We won't get relegated by one goal this season, and if we do it'll have had oxf*rd all to do with Feds going up for a corner in the dying minutes of a game against Chelsea in August and everything to do with simply not being good enough the rest of the time.

So 2 out of the 5 goals are his fault. Absolutely not 3. Stick that up your arse and whinge about it E-Po you delightful filth monger.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 24 Aug 2012 19:00

Ian Royal
Extended-Phenotype
John Madejski's Wallet tbf I thought that was a fairly balanced view of things in his prediction

I don't think it's a case of vendetta, but it's hard to see what he got right in his summary.

Having said that, not sure we can keep excusing Fed's f/ck ups as abnormal circumstance. 3 of the 5 goals conceded have been his fault entirely and it's only been two games. You could say statistically so far, it's pretty normal behaviour for him!

Let me put what I'm about to say in context. I'm not particular fond of Federici. I think McCarthy is quite probably a better prospect. I was not impressed with Feds howler quotiant in previous years, but I don't think he's a crap keeper.

In saying that, I would never and can see no sane reason to criticise Federici for Chelsea's fourth goal. Not every keeper would go up, but he's scored a goal for us to rescue points in the past, so frankly, its his perogative to go forward. We will get caught out because of this occasionally, but then it's only going to happen in the dying minutes of games we're going to be losing by one goal. So it doesn't matter if we get caught out. It hugely matters if it has ever won us some points.

We won't get relegated by one goal this season, and if we do it'll have had oxf*rd all to do with Feds going up for a corner in the dying minutes of a game against Chelsea in August and everything to do with simply not being good enough the rest of the time.

So 2 out of the 5 goals are his fault. Absolutely not 3. Stick that up your arse and whinge about it E-Po you delightful filth monger.

Well said Ian

old woman

by old woman » 24 Aug 2012 22:56

Bemused that the experts think we'll struggle because we played on Wednesday- Has no-one told them that it happens in the football league nearly every week?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 24 Aug 2012 23:01

old woman Bemused that the experts think we'll struggle because we played on Wednesday- Has no-one told them that it happens in the football league nearly every week?

Agree with the above. We'll struggle because we're a promoted team, not because of Wednesday.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 24 Aug 2012 23:37

cmonurz Hadn't previously click this thread, but I see it's full of the usual shit directed his way because he doesn't predict that one of the weaker teams in the division won't win a game.

It's not what he predicts, it's what he says that shows up his ignorance.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Aug 2012 08:02

old woman Bemused that the experts think we'll struggle because we played on Wednesday- Has no-one told them that it happens in the football league nearly every week?

Ah but that was the Football League this is "The Best League in the World/Heavens Above/Solar System/Galaxy/Crab Nebula/Universe".

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 28 Aug 2012 00:30

:D

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 28 Aug 2012 09:44

Lawro made another £316 this week (based on £100 stakes) putting him up £663 so far. On a starting balance of £2000 his ROI is about 33%

Swansea v West Ham 2-1 2.12 10 112 -100
Aston Villa v Everton 1-1 3.4 7 -100 -100
Man Utd v Fulham 3-0 1.33 10 33 -100
Norwich v QPR 1-2 3.32 12 -100 -100
Southampton v Wigan 2-0 2.18 12.5 -100 -100
Sunderland v Reading 2-1 P P P
Tottenham v West Brom 2-0 1.55 8.8 -100 -100
Chelsea v Newcastle 2-0 1.56 9.2 56 820
Stoke v Arsenal 1-1 3.5 7.4 250 -100
Liverpool v Man City 1-1 3.45 7.2 245 -100

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 28 Aug 2012 14:53

He failed to predict our game would be rained out?

What a useless twat

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 28 Aug 2012 15:31

To be honest I'm more bemused about all the Reading fans who were suggesting we should rest players. Even saw someone say that we should rest Alex 'played every minute last season' Pearce and bring Mariappa in because he'd be tired after Wednesday :|

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 28 Aug 2012 17:09

Mike Hunt
Ian Royal
Extended-Phenotype

Well said Ian

Yeah well said. Apart from being wrong, and that we have been relegated by one goal before, well said.

And It wasn't going up for the corner that was necessarily the mistake. Go up for a last corner – I’m groovy with that. But do remember to get back in goal again and not wander around like a f/cking desperate podgy-faced convict in the oppositions area for an eternity while the opposition win back possession and kick it into an empty net.

One, two, three mistakes.

philM

by philM » 28 Aug 2012 17:24

Bit unfair that last bit ^

Feds was already past the penalty spot before the ball went in, so was only a few yards away from being back in goal.

418 posts