Back from the game - Posh

SHORT AND CURLY

Back from the game - Posh

by SHORT AND CURLY » 28 Aug 2012 23:17

Well as I cant see another.

I felt happier trudging out of Stamford Bridge last week than I did coming away from the Mad Stad after the win this evening.
Football aint half a funny game!

Same team, same formation, two totally different performances.

Good night.

CavershamRoyal

Re: Back from the game - Posh

by CavershamRoyal » 28 Aug 2012 23:54

First half an hour was great - not so much from the performance perspective, but for the entertainment.
Second half I found the electronic advertising to be more interesting than the game.

Pog, McClearly and Guthrie all looked solid. Onwards and upwards, a win is a win.
Last edited by CavershamRoyal on 29 Aug 2012 00:22, edited 1 time in total.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 29 Aug 2012 00:08

Odd game, we looked fantastic going forward and shocking at the back first half, then everyone switched off for the next 45 mins.

Gorkss and Pearce given the complete run-a-round by Taylor (who we should definitely be looking at) yet again. Still can't seem to handle pace, which is a worry going into the Spurs game.

McCleary, Guthrie and Pog once again looked head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch. Still can't believe we got all 3 on a free (lol).

Karacan looked a little off the pace for my liking, and Ledge was his usual self; great getting the ball, dire using it.

Gunter put in another very solid performance, Harte wasn't dreadful.

What to do about Adam Federici? Big question for McD. Looks completely shot of confidence, and we can't afford to keep him in the team while he regains it. Every point will be vital in staying up and we can't lose any more thanks to goalie errors.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 29 Aug 2012 00:14

If we defend like that against Spurs we will concede ten. Federici poor again of course, but the defending in front of him was just as idiotic if not worse. Gorkss particularly couldn't have played worse in the first half if he was blindfolded. BMc obviously gave them a rollicking because second half was a lot better, we controlled the game reasonably well by comparison. Hardly terrific though; McLeary and Guthrie both shone again, McAnuff and Leigertwood had solid games, everyone else was no better than medicore tbh. Good to get through and a win under our belts because on that evidence wins will be hard to come by in the Premier League with that team.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Aug 2012 00:15

Just saw the highlights.

I am now concerned about Federici - what a disastrous start to the season for him. He'll pick himself up though.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 29 Aug 2012 00:19

It was a crazy game

but we won. It's all good.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 29 Aug 2012 00:38

As for the mongs chanting for Alex McCarthy after the feds howler, fcuk off and never come back.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 29 Aug 2012 05:10

blueroyals As for the mongs chanting for Alex McCarthy after the feds howler, fcuk off and never come back.

Hard to say whether they were chanting it after a Fed howler, or just before the next Fed howler.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 29 Aug 2012 05:56

Bandini
Hard to say whether they were chanting it after a Fed howler, or just before the next Fed howler.

Ouch. Power post.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 29 Aug 2012 06:57

We looked all over the place at times in that game yet still came through with a 3-2 win in an entertaining first half.

Guthrie and McCleary look to be great signing by Brain McDermott.

I would like to see the club make a couple more signing before the transfer window closes.

Another creative midfielder to play with Guthrie in the centre and a centre back with premier league experience would not go a miss..

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 29 Aug 2012 08:42

First of all you have to say that Posh played really well, good quick passing, closed us down in numbers and had pace. In contrast our passing and defending was woeful, every header we made seemed to go straight to them, we lost every tackle or loose ball and spent a long time just chasing them around. They just walked through our defence a couple of time, so although Feds wasn't brilliant, the back 4 in front of him didn't help. He did save a one on one and tipped decent low shot around the post.

The new guys played really well, in particular McCleary who looked a threat every time he got the ball. He linked up well with Gunter and both put plenty of decent balls to the Pog. Guthrie ran the show and was involved in most of our good moves, when we started to play. He did get a bit sloppy towards the end.

Overall it was entertaining but worrying that a full strength side looked so poor.

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 29 Aug 2012 08:50

Whilst I accept that a game laden with mistakes isn't great for players or managers, it doesn't half make for an entertaining game! Not sure much blame to apportion to Feds for the first one, it was hit with a fair amount of pace, but I would certainly put most of the blame on the two centre halves for letting the ball bounce on the edge of the box. As for the second one, certainly Feds should have done a lot better with it, but equally on another night that clips the outside of the post (rather than inside) and it's a decent save (as per the Boro keeper getting a fortunate leg out to push Hunt's? shot on to the post in the dieing minutes.

There's a really good triangle starting to develop between Pog, Guthrie and McCleary. Combine that with what seems to be a decent understanding starting to build between McCleary and Gunter and we're looking very strong from the right wing. McAnuff and Harte seem to have picked up where they left off last season, but without quite the fireworks of the right wing.

Encouraging going forward. Worrying signs at the back, but that'll go with games. A win's a win - roll on round 3.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 29 Aug 2012 09:34

We always get outpassed by Peterborough at home, but always win.

Odd. :shock:

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 29 Aug 2012 10:02

Just seen the highlights, lol at Pearce just staring in disbelief at Feds after their second. Obviously lost all faith in him.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Aug 2012 10:07

I know people want to keep Feds in for his own sake, but to be honest I don't think it's helping him. He's getting worse; surely picking him is actually becoming more punishment than dropping him?

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 29 Aug 2012 10:08

Ideal
blueroyals As for the mongs chanting for Alex McCarthy after the feds howler, fcuk off and never come back.

they are right, you are wrong, so you fcuk off!

they were right about Federici playing like a man low on confidence, but how will feeling he's lost the support of the crowd help?

Fans who chant abuse to their own team's players are the biggest spackers going.

And just to highlight just what a bunch of morons those guys (yes, the very same bunch) are, about 10 seconds later they started chanting his name in support. If you collected their brain cell's together, they'd still struggle to outwit an earthworm.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 29 Aug 2012 10:15

Tbf I never heard any sort of abuse...just the chanting.

Although, I doubt the patronising cheers every time he caught the ball did any sort of good whatsoever.

I see the twitter mongarati are out in force saying anyone criticising Feds is not a 'true royal'. He may have been excellent last season, but right now that is completely irrelevant. Confidence is absolutely crucial in his position and if he's lost it then for now he's not as good a keeper as McCarthy.

Hopefully he'll build some confidence over the next couple of weeks...but if he doesn't then it should be a pretty easy decision for McD to make come the 16th.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Aug 2012 10:15

Rev Algenon Stickleback H If you collected their brain cell's together, they'd still struggle to outwit an earthworm.

Struggling to think of a situation where anyone would need to.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 29 Aug 2012 10:19

Extended-Phenotype
Rev Algenon Stickleback H If you collected their brain cell's together, they'd still struggle to outwit an earthworm.

:lol:

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 29 Aug 2012 10:21

Extended-Phenotype

So would they, so you are in good company.