Jason Robert's return

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: Jason Robert's return

by TBM » 19 Sep 2012 17:01

My view, is that Roberts is better at holding the ball up and bringing others in to play.........Pog is better in the air and will probably score more goals

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 19 Sep 2012 17:06

BraisingsteakRoyal
maffff But then how do we break up the midfield 5, who goes out of Jem/Ledge/Guthrie to accommodate for Roberts?

Has to be one of Jem or Ledge (perhaps depending on whether we're home or away) - BUT, can you imagine what would have happened on Sunday if we'd have only had Guthrie in there?

What about something like?

*********************McCarthy/Fedders

****************Marriapa - Gorkks - Pearce

Gunter/Cummings ********************Shorey/Jobi

************************Jem/Ledge

***********Guthrie******************Kebe/McCleary

******************Roberts*********Pog/Alf

I know three across the back is more 90's than Ocean Colour Scene, but it'd arguably get our most effective players on the pitch.

5-3-2? I like your inventiveness. That's a pretty extreme change, but I would suggest we would only change things that much if it is late in the season and we are getting hammered by teams. Didn't Italy play five in defence for their initial group game against Spain? It worked pretty well - could be something to consider against the top teams maybe, but for me, not now.

Divvy

by Divvy » 19 Sep 2012 17:56

BraisingsteakRoyal
maffff But then how do we break up the midfield 5, who goes out of Jem/Ledge/Guthrie to accommodate for Roberts?

Has to be one of Jem or Ledge (perhaps depending on whether we're home or away) - BUT, can you imagine what would have happened on Sunday if we'd have only had Guthrie in there?

What about something like?

*********************McCarthy/Fedders

****************Marriapa - Gorkks - Pearce

Gunter/Cummings ********************Shorey/Jobi

************************Jem/Ledge

***********Guthrie******************Kebe/McCleary

******************Roberts*********Pog/Alf

I know three across the back is more 90's than Ocean Colour Scene, but it'd arguably get our most effective players on the pitch.

Bin Leigertwood. I like him, but I watch him closely and he's all over the place and very ineffective. Karacan at least has more energy and will scrap for everything. Lesser of two evils IMO.

E. Andrew

by E. Andrew » 19 Sep 2012 20:34

I can only guess you don't watch closely or you started watching on September 12th.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 19 Sep 2012 21:26

Yeah 5-3-2 or 3-5-2. It's a bananas idea, but on paper it gets arguably our best players out there, and exploits the width and channels that we like to use.

There's probably a reason that no top teams have gone for it since Liverpool introduced it a decade or so ago and Glenn Hoddle's England used it so well...

IF it works however, I expect Brian to personally visit my place of work dressed as Richard Gere in an Officer and a Gentleman, sweep me off my feet whist simultaneously giving the one fingered salute to my boss, before whisking me away to a Jacuzzi party at the Zingarevich's.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 19 Sep 2012 21:31

windermere_royal
SouthDownsRoyal Pog is rubbish

and you are a prick, all about opinions, thats mine

LOL

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 19 Sep 2012 21:47

Ian Royal
Maguire Can't believe anyone thinks Roberts is better than Pog. Mental.

He's looked good to me.

I also can't believe some want to play them together when they basically perform the same role. If perhaps in slightly different ways.

I'll be delighted when ROberts is back though. Because he'll provide more quality off the bench than Hunt or Church. And keep Pog on his toes.

I don't think that many disagree that they perform a very similar role, but i don't see that that's necessarily a bad thing. There will be times that this doesn't work, but largely i don't see why they can't be mutually complimentary, especially considering that they're arguably 2 of our most skilled players.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 19 Sep 2012 21:56

BraisingsteakRoyal Yeah 5-3-2 or 3-5-2. It's a bananas idea, but on paper it gets arguably our best players out there, and exploits the width and channels that we like to use.

There's probably a reason that no top teams have gone for it since Liverpool introduced it a decade or so ago and Glenn Hoddle's England used it so well...

IF it works however, I expect Brian to personally visit my place of work dressed as Richard Gere in an Officer and a Gentleman, sweep me off my feet whist simultaneously giving the one fingered salute to my boss, before whisking me away to a Jacuzzi party at the Zingarevich's.

LOL. Jesus H Christ, that's some wierd Brian fantasy you've got there. The thought of McD dressed like that is just too funny though.

Juventus played 3-5-2 tonight against Chelsea and did pretty well FWIW.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Sep 2012 23:35

I'd love to see Roberts and Pogster starting. Yes they're fairly similar in some ways but would be a handful for defences.