1st reason why McDermott should go - No Guthrie

344 posts
Lacoste

Re: 1st reason why McDermott should go - No Guthrie

by Lacoste » 12 Nov 2012 12:14

You sound like a bit of a dick either way.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 12 Nov 2012 12:30

Lacoste You sound like a bit of a dick either way.

Thank you for your valuable opinion.

Hertfordshire Royal

by Hertfordshire Royal » 12 Nov 2012 13:00

peterroyal76
windermere_royal
peterroyal76 his after game interviews are beginning to depress me.

Don`t tell me he saw positives in that?

In short...................yes!

Only positive I saw Was Kingsley's moonwalk!

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 12 Nov 2012 13:54

Hertfordshire Royal
peterroyal76
windermere_royal his after game interviews are beginning to depress me.

Don`t tell me he saw positives in that?

I don't understand what you want McDermott to say after a match. For example, "We're doomed! We're just not good enough!" Hardly going to inspire the team is it? It's also not true in my opinion. You can see that it hurts him when we don't win. He does the sensible thing, he observes the weaknesses we've shown and works on them and takes the positives from each game. If he didn't do that, the whole team would be demoralised. Is that what you want?

Credited the wrong people for the quotes above. Apologies. I'll get used to the quote function one day.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Nov 2012 14:10

Stuboo
Hertfordshire Royal
peterroyal76 Don`t tell me he saw positives in that?

I don't understand what you want McDermott to say after a match. For example, "We're doomed! We're just not good enough!" Hardly going to inspire the team is it? It's also not true in my opinion. You can see that it hurts him when we don't win. He does the sensible thing, he observes the weaknesses we've shown and works on them and takes the positives from each game. If he didn't do that, the whole team would be demoralised. Is that what you want?

Credited the wrong people for the quotes above. Apologies. I'll get used to the quote function one day.

There are times when an honest and blunt appraisal is the best approach. There are some very good and successful managers in the game who recognise that and aren't afraid to state things as they are from time to time. Indeed we have had a few of those in the past - Pardew certainly didn't pull his punches on occasions.

So occasionally telling the team and the world that they aren't performing well enough shouldn't hurt anyone (they are professionals so should damn well realise that anyway). If it does damage the poor things on their 10s of thousands a week pay packets then tough, that only offers further evidence that they are not fit for purpose.

The team should have felt p*ssed off and down at not getting three points on Saturday, and I don't agree with McDermott stating that they shouldn't. Best way of getting over that feeling is to make sure they damn well win three points at the next available opportunity.

Sal Paradiso

by Sal Paradiso » 12 Nov 2012 14:16

Not quite sure why people would get worked up about what McD says to the press. He's been deadbatting every question he's got for years. What he says to the press almost certainly bears no relation to what he says to the players...

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Nov 2012 15:22

agreed- same with the "disrespectful to the players we hav here" line about transfers

of course hes going to say that, hes trying to squeeze every ounce of belief and quality out of them that he can

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Nov 2012 16:01

Alexander Litvinenko A simple question : Could any other manager get more out of this group of players?

I'm not really an advocate of change, but how do you answer that question with any real insight?

Perhaps another question would be, would another likely manager get less from them?

Who would be the potential alternatives? Poyet? Di Canio? Dolan? Parky? Keane? Redknapp?

With the way we are at the moment I could see some of them having a short term improvement and possibly a more interesting long term plan.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 12 Nov 2012 16:30

Poyet: No thanks - Brighton have done nothing to set the world alight. And Brighton get 100,000,000 at every home game, so he'd never leave them.
Di-Canio: Yes, what we need, is a hot headed arrogant little prick at the helm, who believes his own bullshit. Perfect match....for some of the morons here.
Dolan: Really?
Parky: Not interested - Whilst I'd LOVE to see him as our manager one day, he has ZERO top flight experience, and hasn't exactly set the world alight in the divisions he has managed in.
Keane: No. He has SO much baggage, he has NO sense of decorum, or when to just STFU. He also has a proven record of acheiving absolutely Sweet F.A.
Redknapp: When we need to send the club bust, then yes. Until then not on your nelly. Look at the clubs he has left, and the state he left them in. Saints, Pompey, Tottenham - two of whom ended up in Administration, partially because of him.

So in summary. What we should really do, is KEEP HOLD OF the man who got us here, and has got us to within 3 points of our target position, with one game less than expected.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 12 Nov 2012 16:33

Loving the RTGs on here explaining the results away like we were unlucky in this match or that, Stoke/Fulham/Norwich/QPR whoever are a top 4/10/half side, that the Arsenal reserves cost x million etc.

Quick question for all the RTGs who think that Saturdays result and/or performance was a decent one and seem thrilled with our recent run of form:

If not Norwich at home, then who should we be beating?

QPR, Southampton and Villa at home as people on here seem to think? That's a grand total of 9 points. What about the next 25-odd?

I'm not a defeatist by any means but i'm reallt disappointed that we're a quarter of the way through the season and we looked no better on Saturday than we did on the opening day against Stoke. Devoid of ideas, bar lumping it into the channels and trying to win throw-ins, embarrassing diving and complaining to the (admittedly poor) ref and linos.

Not sure what I expected, but when we signed Pog and Guthrie I thought we might at least try and play it about on the ground, create chances and look like a team who can play football.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 12 Nov 2012 16:35

BraisingsteakRoyal Not sure what I expected, but when we signed Pog and Guthrie I thought we might at least try and play it about on the ground, create chances and look like a team who can play football.

Nail. on. head.

This is the crux of it for me - it shouldn't be out sticking our heads in the sand and saying 'but we play like this', it should be about adapting to the league we are in in order to stay up.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 12 Nov 2012 16:41

cmonurz
BraisingsteakRoyal Not sure what I expected, but when we signed Pog and Guthrie I thought we might at least try and play it about on the ground, create chances and look like a team who can play football.

Nail. on. head.

This is the crux of it for me - it shouldn't be out sticking our heads in the sand and saying 'but we play like this', it should be about adapting to the league we are in in order to stay up.

Yes, but unless we can make that change almost instantly, then in the short-term we won't even be picking up draws. Every game will be like the Spurs one.

Things might get better as we play the new system better, but just how far adrift would we be before it got to that point - and how far would moral have sunk? (And would the person who has to decide to make that choice still have a job?)

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 12 Nov 2012 16:43

McDonut said his ambition was to manage Ireland which I thought was very disrespectful to Reading whilst he's in the managers job. So get rid now. Bring in Steve Kean.

Royal Bahamas

by Royal Bahamas » 12 Nov 2012 16:45

I truly don't get what all of you are so sure of. Why do so many assume that we are doomed?
After just 10 games, we have a record of 60% Non-Loss! We all know that we need to start making those Draws, WINS, and that will come, as long as we and of course Brian, BELIEVE in the players that we have.
I seem to recollect that Brian had a longer period of Draws, and turned that into a 9th place finnish.

All together now:-

"Always look on the bright side of life........"
Last edited by Royal Bahamas on 12 Nov 2012 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 12 Nov 2012 16:45

For those saying we need Guthrie back, how many were saying we'd missed him when he got dropped?

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 12 Nov 2012 16:47

It doesn't have to be a complete change - just an extra dimension. If we had 2-3 players capable of picking a pass (Gylfi/Sidwell/Whittingham/Guthrie/Adam/Hoolihan/Lallana) then at least its another avenue to go with when the opposition decrypt our complex tactic of Shorey lumping it over Jobis head for Roberts to try and win a throw.

Otherwise you're right and we could've stuck to what we know and instead of Pog and Guthrie, we should have blown the budget on a quick battering ram Shane Long type forward and upgrades of Leigertwood and Karacan.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 12 Nov 2012 17:03

No Fixed Abode McDonut said his ambition was to manage Ireland which I thought was very disrespectful to Reading whilst he's in the managers job. So get rid now. Bring in Steve Kean.

You must be joking, no? Steve Kean?! Of all people ....

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 12 Nov 2012 17:27

of course he's joking. he's just trying to get a reaction which unfortunately you gave him.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Nov 2012 17:31

Caskeys Lovechild Poyet: No thanks - Brighton have done nothing to set the world alight. And Brighton get 100,000,000 at every home game, so he'd never leave them.
Di-Canio: Yes, what we need, is a hot headed arrogant little prick at the helm, who believes his own bullshit. Perfect match....for some of the morons here.
Dolan: Really?
Parky: Not interested - Whilst I'd LOVE to see him as our manager one day, he has ZERO top flight experience, and hasn't exactly set the world alight in the divisions he has managed in.
Keane: No. He has SO much baggage, he has NO sense of decorum, or when to just STFU. He also has a proven record of acheiving absolutely Sweet F.A.
Redknapp: When we need to send the club bust, then yes. Until then not on your nelly. Look at the clubs he has left, and the state he left them in. Saints, Pompey, Tottenham - two of whom ended up in Administration, partially because of him.

So in summary. What we should really do, is KEEP HOLD OF the man who got us here, and has got us to within 3 points of our target position, with one game less than expected.

yay

this^^^^

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Nov 2012 17:33

sidwell, gylfi, and shane long in feb, and we'll be fine :wink:

344 posts