Informing the club about a player

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

Informing the club about a player

by Archie's penalty » 13 Nov 2012 09:14

As some of you know have been watching a lot of the Polish league. There are some real gems over here that could, I think, do well with Reading. Anyway it got me thinking, have any of you ever contacted the club to inform them about a player? Has this been done before? Does the club take random tip-offs and are they ever taken up?

Lacoste

Re: Informing the club about a player

by Lacoste » 13 Nov 2012 09:16

Archie's penalty As some of you know have been watching a lot of the Polish league. There are some real gems over here that could, I think, do well with Reading. Anyway it got me thinking, have any of you ever contacted the club to inform them about a player? Has this been done before? Does the club take random tip-offs and are they ever taken up?

They will take a random tip however chances are they would know about the player anyway.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 Nov 2012 09:18

So this happens then?

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 13 Nov 2012 09:19

Archie's penalty So this happens then?

Nigel Gibbs is on Linked In - message him on that and see what response you get. Oh and post responses on here.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 13 Nov 2012 09:29

I once drunkenly emailed the club :oops: to tell them I'd found the new Sidwell after watching some youth tournament a few years ago. Can't remember what the player's name was, just know that he was french and ginger.

Got a reply saying my message had been passed onto the management LOL

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Nov 2012 10:36

I once wrote to the Welsh FA to tell them they should be playing Jerry Williams - but they never responded. :oops:

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 13 Nov 2012 10:43

I last season I sent an e-mail a 16 year old I saw making his debut in the Southern League Premier Division and tore the opponents to pieces, got an arsey message back from Steve Shorey about how they have an extensive scouting network and already cover all players in the league, plus the reserves and youth teams of all league sides as well as many non league sides and some oversaes.

About a month later a member of the Reading scouting team was spotted at the club watching a game, and the player had a trial too, but it never went further than that.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Nov 2012 10:44

Archie's penalty As some of you know have been watching a lot of the Polish league. There are some real gems over here that could, I think, do well with Reading. Anyway it got me thinking, have any of you ever contacted the club to inform them about a player? Has this been done before? Does the club take random tip-offs and are they ever taken up?

Ironically, I wrote to them about Jason Roberts when he first started making the local newspaper headlines when at Hayes. I don't think they took any notice (no response) although the FSB subsequently signed him for Wolves, so maybe he read my letter whilst at Reading! :wink:

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 13 Nov 2012 11:01

Not RFC, but....

I work in property development and back in about 2004 a guy came into see me to talk through doing a deal with us. He happened to mention that he was a major shareholder in Burnley FC, we got talking football, and he told me that Stan Ternent was going to be put out to pasture at the end of the season. I mentioned that I rated Steve Cotterill quite highly for the work he'd done with Cheltenham, but he had lost his way with Howard Wilkinson at Stoke. Four months later Ternent did leave and Cotterill was appointed! :shock:

Probably complete coincidence, but still amuses me to this day.

David Seaman also came in with his now ex-wife & children about buying a property in Alderley Edge. It was the day Pardew walked out. Seaman didn't know who Pardew was, and he and his family consumed a whole tin of Family Circle biscuits which we'd brought specially. Oh, and he didn't buy the house. Tosser.

AJ_urz9

by AJ_urz9 » 13 Nov 2012 11:51

About 5 years ago I wrote to SSC, got a great letter back from him...
Out of the 3 players I recommended... Well we were linked to sign one of them this summer!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Nov 2012 11:54

AJ_urz9

About 5 years ago I wrote to SSC, got a great letter back from him...
Out of the 3 players I recommended... Well we were linked to sign one of them this summer!

Years after SSC left then! :wink:

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 13 Nov 2012 12:03

I once wrote to Maurice Evans asking him how I went about being watched by the club, as I felt I was aamzeballs at football. The gentleman that he was, he wrote back and asked who I played for, as he would come and watch me.

I was clubless. :lol: :oops:

Wasted opportunity. But what a gent!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 13 Nov 2012 12:04

Royal Lady I once wrote to the Welsh FA to tell them they should be playing Jerry Williams - but they never responded. :oops:

Excellent!! :lol: :lol:

Divvy

by Divvy » 13 Nov 2012 12:06

Cobi

I once wrote to Maurice Evans asking him how I went about being watched by the club, as I felt I was aamzeballs at football. The gentleman that he was, he wrote back and asked who I played for, as he would come and watch me.

I was clubless. :lol: :oops:

Wasted opportunity. But what a gent!

That doesn't surprise me. He was often spotted watching youngsters in Newbury. He was a very good manager for us in his day as well.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Nov 2012 12:09

What's the worst that can happen?

Send something in with a bit of humility along the lines of a recommendation to take a look at, rather than just say sign them they're amazing. Describe their attributes. What do you lose? At worst you get ignored or an arrogant reply back.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 13 Nov 2012 12:24

Dear Mr Majeski,

I saw the bestest player the other day on telebox. He is called Messi, but he is really really good and not messy at all.

I fink you should make him play for Reading.

Yours Sincerely,

Mr Penalty

Divvy

by Divvy » 13 Nov 2012 12:27

bobby1413 Dear Mr Majeski,

I saw the bestest player the other day on telebox. He is called Messi, but he is really really good and not messy at all.

I fink you should make him play for Reading.

Yours Sincerely,

Mr Penalty

He wouldn't fit in to Brian's direct and work rate style. Heskey's on form though.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 Nov 2012 13:37

One of the players is being watched by Seville so maybe out of our league already...

hellopremiership

by hellopremiership » 13 Nov 2012 13:43

Archie's penalty One of the players is being watched by Seville so maybe out of our league already...

I thought he was dead? Unless it's the Polish youth league I'm not sure why he'd be interested...

Tazewell Royal

by Tazewell Royal » 13 Nov 2012 13:47

I once phoned the club one morning some years ago and asked to speak to Mick Gooding (when he was joint manager with Jimmy Quinn) as I wanted to recommend a player. The switchboard was a bit suspicious but took my number.

I couldn't believe it when he actually phoned me back on my work number later in the afternoon. I was recommending a midfielder to fill the gap left by Simon Osborn and his name was Ian Bogie. Mick of course knew about him as he was an established pro, and obviously knew more about him than the average fan would; especially as they were both geordies.

I almost still can't believe that any football club manager would take the time to phone a fan like that. Top man.