What has the Pog done wrong?

phil in cornwall

Re: What has the Pog done wrong?

by phil in cornwall » 20 Nov 2012 12:51

I was amazed that he wasn't brought on for the last 15 minutes at QPR. He could have won the game for us as he did in the cup game.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 20 Nov 2012 13:06

Mintymurray Jason seems to be first name

well observed

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 20 Nov 2012 13:06

wingnut Can't/won't run
Can't trap a bag of cement
Can't head
Can't tackle
Can't pass
Can goal hang & score tap ins

Have you been this season?..he can do all these things, take the fecking blindfold off.

somersetroyal

by somersetroyal » 20 Nov 2012 13:08

He's not suited to are style of play , and when he does play he seems to lethargic and one paced people seem to think he's a top player because he's played for Russia, the team functions much better without him

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 20 Nov 2012 13:12

These threads are such a joke.
The manager selects the best team, not who can do the most keepie uppies.
The season's not even 1/3 through and most of the squad are getting game time.
It makes more sense to me to give forwards a run in the side rather than the odd game, which is what McD is doing, i.e. a good manager.
Leave the team selection to someone who knows a bit about football (McD) you bunch of whinging to55ers!

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 20 Nov 2012 13:16

Pog's scored more goals the the others but his all round contribution is not as good. He lacks the energy and workrate of Roberts, Hunt and ALF. Bottom line is, we have 4 decent enough strikers and if we do go down I don't think it'll be down to the forwards.

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 20 Nov 2012 15:15

If Fulham are still keen on him maybe we can swap him for Sidwell in Jan.Then buy another striker

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 21 Nov 2012 08:18

windermere_royal
wingnut Can't/won't run
Can't head
Can't tackle
Can't pass

Have you been this season?..he can do all these things, take the fecking blindfold off.

Been plenty of times this season, thanks, & the more times I've seen him the more I've thought he's a rich man's Shaun Goater.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Nov 2012 11:52

wingnut Been plenty of times this season, thanks, & the more times I've seen him the more I've thought he's a rich man's Shaun Goater.

Grzegorz Rasiak.....

teignmouth hoops

by teignmouth hoops » 21 Nov 2012 12:41

Feed the Pog and he will score - possibly - if he can be arsed

JordCot

by JordCot » 21 Nov 2012 12:49

I kinda feel like Pog will do better with us when we start winning. I know that sounds stupid because Brian is known for not changing a winning side but I feel like if we can start climbing the table, get more confidence and start feeling more comfortable with the league and a style of play he will show his quality when given a chance.

Mintymurray

by Mintymurray » 21 Nov 2012 18:54

I would just like to see a smile on his face when he plays.

RoyalWire

by RoyalWire » 21 Nov 2012 19:06

I dont think he has done anything wrong, people just like a scape goat. He is easy as he appears to be less enthusiastic than others. Berbatov comes across like this to me, but people like him.

He's a striker, he's our top scorer, so he's doing what we pay him to do in my eyes.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 21 Nov 2012 19:20

RoyalWire I dont think he has done anything wrong, people just like a scape goat. He is easy as he appears to be less enthusiastic than others. Berbatov comes across like this to me, but people like him.

He's a striker, he's our top scorer, so he's doing what we pay him to do in my eyes.

Bloody well said, i think Pog as a supreme first touch, and hes always looking to bring others into the game, and anyone thats says hes no good in the air, he won all but one of his headers when he came on against Norwich, two of his five goals have been headers, would have been more but for a superb stop by Newcasle`s Harper and a bad miss against Fulham, compare that to Roberts who never gets off the ground and spends more time falling over, i like Roberts but to say he is better is just rubbish, they are two different players with their own different strengths and weaknesses.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Nov 2012 19:28

Some of the goals Pog has scored are "unclassified", but his stats says 8 headers from 77

RoyalWire

by RoyalWire » 21 Nov 2012 19:33

I don't know heaps about football, but from what I have seen so far, I would like to see something like:

McCarthy

Gunter Morrison Gorkks Shorey

Legs Tabb Jobi

McCleary Roberts

Pog

You could rotate a number of options with that top three depending on how the game is unfolding. Someone like Kebe/Guthrie if we're succesful passing around, or Hunt if we need to be direct. Alf on for pog if he need a bit more speed.

To me this just seems quite flexible to adapt from game to game depending on its needs, and most importantly, keeps our top scorer on the pitch where he should be

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 21 Nov 2012 20:29

pog is good, unfortunately he doesnt fit our style of play very well so he is fading out a little.

teignmouth hoops

by teignmouth hoops » 22 Nov 2012 13:47

pog is good, unfortunately he doesnt fit our style of play very well

Well well, now where have I heard that before?

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 22 Nov 2012 14:11

Ideal
wingnut Can't/won't run
Can't head
Can't tackle
Can't pass

+1,000,000

He contributes nothing to the team, except if he scores. Otherwise, it's like playing with 10 men.

Im sorry I thought Scoring was a good attribute for a striker. I need to go and re-evaluate my life now, thanks.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 22 Nov 2012 14:30

PistolPete - before we even signed him - I really don't want Pogrebnyak to come. I know that's a weird thing to say about someone who is a Russian international and scored 6 in 8 for Fulham last season, it's just that I think that his record at Fulham was better than his ability.

Anyone remember Amr Zaki at Wigan? His strike rate was incredible but when he returned to Hull he couldn't score at all.

That comparison may be totally unfair, I just can't bring myself to rate the Pog and if we're smashing our wage structure, I wish it would be on a player who dominates in the air like (little) Shane Long did or has some skill like Kitson had. Pog just seemed to be in the right place at the right time and worked hard. Once again, this maybe completely unfair.

We may not even be interested in him, I'm hopefully wrong with my intuition, I just can't help thinking this would turn out a disaster.

Oh well, a pessimist is never disappointed eh?

Ok, so too early to call it a disaster, but my instinct was nor far off...