35%
No
65%

Total votes: 187
AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Taxi for McDermott

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Nov 2012 20:19

recent reports (on TalkchelseaSport) say that Harry Redknapp has denied all rumours linking him with the Reading Vacancy

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 25 Nov 2012 20:40

Mad Dog hasn't changed clubs for 3 months...

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 25 Nov 2012 21:11

windermere_royal
floyd__streete Who comes in and does better then? I want to hear the nay-sayers alternative suggestions.

McD has had a poor season and has signed poorly last summer.....but who else is going to get more from such a (comparatively) weak squad. I'd like to think that Brian deserves a chance to rebuild in the Championship last season, just as Coppell had one season following relegation. Not sure that AZ would feel the same way, mind.

I would take Phil Parkinson in a heartbeat.

Probably has more chance of getting a game than Guthrie at the moment so not a bad idea, although I don't think Parky has enough pace now for the Prem or the Champ.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 26 Nov 2012 10:46

Woolly68 Come on Anton grow some balls, make that change, second from bottom and unless we win our 3 away games before Xmas we will be well adrift and no one will want to come to the club.

Thanks Brian its been good but it's a result business, as you said yesterday. :cry:

'ck off
+ add your comment to one of the other brian out threads

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 26 Nov 2012 10:57

andrew1957
SPARTA
Jackson Corner It really paid off for Wolves last season?

They left it far too late though. A change now is the right time with January fast approaching and time beforehand to evaluate the current squad and deadwood.

floyd__streete Who comes in and does better then? I want to hear the nay-sayers alternative suggestions.

McD has had a poor season and has signed poorly last summer.....but who else is going to get more from such a (comparatively) weak squad. I'd like to think that Brian deserves a chance to rebuild in the Championship last season, just as Coppell had one season following relegation. Not sure that AZ would feel the same way, mind.

Whilst I agree with this, it does concern me that we were lucky in the first place in winning promotion with our suck it up and hit on the break football, and Brian is still persisting with it at this level, even though it's clearly not working. If we stick with him and go back down, it's very likely the same style will be in place, and we will continue to rely on hard working types. We got lucky last season, I don't favour lightening striking twice!

Who ever replaces McDermott will hopefully bring with them a new style of football, be able to manage egos better, and be able to attract a better standard of player. Yes we're almost certainly going back down, but whoever comes in will hopefully put their stamp on the side and be given the backing to get rid of the dead wood, and bring in his own players. Who might that be is anyone's guess. Curbishley might not be that bad a choice. Who is out there?

I am beginning to wonder about the sanity of many of you posting on here.

We have the lowest quality squad in the PL bar none. Our entire squad cost less than 10 million for goodness sake. Brian plays the way we are because it is the only way we have a chance of staying up. Try and play like Man city and we will go down with a very low points total.

Yes if Anton suddenly finds a few hundred million to invest we could bring in Jose M and buy some top players (if they would even agree to come!) but it’s not happening folks.

Brian is doing the best he can with a limited squad and if we support him rather than giving him and the players a hard time we might just make 17th!

Have some faith folks.

Andrew, you fcucking idiot. The reason Anton is so pissed off is because we had more money to spoend and Brian didn't spend it.

under the tin

by under the tin » 26 Nov 2012 11:15

Blimey. Are the schools all closed due to the flooding, or is it half term again?

Baby, bath water,etc.

Cpl Jones Dont panic

by Cpl Jones Dont panic » 26 Nov 2012 11:23

Very interesting that Rednapp has told the players he will not tolerate players who give the ball away [ our entire team] or put their hands in the air[ McNuff after shinning the ball for the everton goal] or players that stand with hands on hips [ i am sure we have a few]. This is what BM must say to the team now not keep being loyal, grow some balls and drag player off if he is having a bad game [ gorkiss, legs].

If we all accept that we actually got promoted without being special and more by luck than skill, how long could it take us to get back up another 6 years!

Lets take the chance to stay up whilst we have it, by xmas it will be to late . No need to feel sorry for Bm , he will get another job and earns far more than most of us can dream off.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 26 Nov 2012 11:24

Cpl Jones Dont panic Very interesting that Rednapp has told the players he will not tolerate players who give the ball away [ our entire team] or put their hands in the air[ McNuff after shinning the ball for the everton goal] or players that stand with hands on hips [ i am sure we have a few]. This is what BM must say to the team now not keep being loyal, grow some balls and drag player off if he is having a bad game [ gorkiss, legs].

If we all accept that we actually got promoted without being special and more by luck than skill, how long could it take us to get back up another 6 years!

Lets take the chance to stay up whilst we have it, by xmas it will be to late . No need to feel sorry for Bm , he will get another job and earns far more than most of us can dream off.

^^^^^Spot on.

teignmouth hoops

by teignmouth hoops » 26 Nov 2012 11:40

Tim Dellor and the legend that is Ady Williams. The team that had Jobi Mcanuff as player of the season very recently and completely ignored Nicky Shorey

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 26 Nov 2012 11:43

It must surely occur to some of you that we went up last year knowing our squad was going to be weak for the coming season.

Knowing that, is it not possible the thinking went along the lines of 'Lets improve the squad, with top end championship players'? If we were unsure of our ability to stay up, buying players who would likely stay with us post relegation is a sensible choice (and it seems likely all bar Pog would do so).

If you accept that simply buying a new starting 11 isn't a good move and your squad is weak, then improving where you can is the only option you have. We have done this (our SQUAD is unarguably better this year than last).

We were always going to struggle,but as long as we are in games (which largely thus far we have been) than I think it is possible McD is doing exactly what was expected of him.

I do agree that a few of our star signings this year haven't worked, though that is possibly because the management team felt the rest of the squad would be better able to adapt to passing style of play than proved the case. In light of that what is Mr McDermott to do but switch to the style that the vast majority of the players know? Hopefully with each transfer window a few more players comfortable on the ball will come in and our play will adapt and improve...in whatever division that may be...

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 26 Nov 2012 11:49

Would have to be Sir Steve surely?

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 26 Nov 2012 11:52

Barry the bird boggler Would have to be Sir Steve surely?

No, it wouldn't.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 26 Nov 2012 11:52

Did anyone see MOTD 2 last night?

Reading - worst team for completion of passes :lol: . Something like 61%. I think they need to improve on their ball retention, which might make them have a bit more energy towards the end of games and puts less pressure on the back 4.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 26 Nov 2012 11:55

No Fixed Abode Did anyone see MOTD 2 last night?

Reading - worst team for completion of passes :lol: . Something like 61%. I think they need to improve on their ball retention, which might make them have a bit more energy towards the end of games and puts less pressure on the back 4.

But we have nice young men playing for us - they have the Reading DNA and even if we come bottom this season it wil be our third bestest season eva LOLZ :roll:

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 26 Nov 2012 11:59

Not surprising that we have worst pass completion rate given that most passes are twated 60 yards up the pitch.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 26 Nov 2012 12:00

The Beardy Man
If you accept that simply buying a new starting 11 isn't a good move and your squad is weak, then improving where you can is the only option you have.

Buying quality additions to add class to a hard working outfit =/= buying a new starting 11

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 26 Nov 2012 12:01

Royalclapper Not surprising that we have worst pass completion rate given that most passes are twated 60 yards up the pitch.

To a player in Pog who did well last year with short passes into feet and balls in behind for him to run onto.

What did Brian think when signing this player when he knew we would just be banging aimless balls up to him?

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 26 Nov 2012 12:04

Extended-Phenotype
The Beardy Man
If you accept that simply buying a new starting 11 isn't a good move and your squad is weak, then improving where you can is the only option you have.

Buying quality additions to add class to a hard working outfit =/= buying a new starting 11

Agreed, and pre season the addition of Pog and Guthrie looked good. McCleary was Forest player of the season (I think) and Gunter had been highly rated.

Its easy with hindsight (though another centre mid in place of Gunnarson should have been added).

The only one I was non-plussed about was Shorey, who turned out well....

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 26 Nov 2012 12:12

The Beardy Man
Extended-Phenotype
The Beardy Man

Agreed, and pre season the addition of Pog and Guthrie looked good.

They looked alright bargain buys, and we trusted Brian knew what he was doing when he bought them. We were wrong.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 26 Nov 2012 12:16

Lacoste
Royalclapper Not surprising that we have worst pass completion rate given that most passes are twated 60 yards up the pitch.

To a player in Pog who did well last year with short passes into feet and balls in behind for him to run onto.

What did Brian think when signing this player when he knew we would just be banging aimless balls up to him?

He probably thought that he'd have Guthrie in CM or just behind the striker in the 4-5-1 to play those short passes in to him but for whatever reason (injury or discipline) that hasn't materialised so far

253 posts