LoyalRoyal22 We need a new CM with quality to partner Jem

Thought we bought a quality CM in the summer but he cant get in the team

Apparantly Injured. Dont know what to believe

Couldnt get in when he was fit so like u dunno what to believe

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Leigertwood - Not good enough at this level

by Tony Le Mesmer » 25 Nov 2012 11:59

Leigertwood isn't a Premiership level player, I would agree with that.

But then neither are Gunter, Cummings, Gorkks, Tabb, Robson-Kanu, McCleary, Hunt, Le Fondre, etc, etc. In fact id say only McCarthy and Kebe have the raw talent to succeed in the PL.

We have a good championship squad, probably only marginally better than this time last year. Victims of our own success basically. If we stick with what we have & we have about a 60% chance of going down, but if we do we'll be challenging straight away again the the Champ. Repeat. Or, we bin most of the players for not being up to it, sign a load of overpaid journeymen and increace our chances of staying up (still no guarantee though). But in doing so rip the heart and ethos out of the club. The latter will probably serve us better in the short run, but there are a hell of a lot of clubs that have followed that path and are/will be paying for it for a long time. Take your pick, but thats why there is so much to hate about the PL and why mny would rather stick with what we have and if we go down, so be it.

REMTARDROYAL

by REMTARDROYAL » 25 Nov 2012 12:10

Yes.

I think there is room for one or two moves in January, for players identified as not up to it and where replacements in our price range can be identified.

But we're doing about as well as expected, a few draws more, a few wins less, maybe. Let's not get carried away.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Nov 2012 14:12

Tony Le Mesmer Leigertwood isn't a Premiership level player, I would agree with that.

But then neither are Gunter, Cummings, Gorkks, Tabb, Robson-Kanu, McCleary, Hunt, Le Fondre, etc, etc. In fact id say only McCarthy and Kebe have the raw talent to succeed in the PL.

We have a good championship squad, probably only marginally better than this time last year. Victims of our own success basically. If we stick with what we have & we have about a 60% chance of going down, but if we do we'll be challenging straight away again the the Champ. Repeat. Or, we bin most of the players for not being up to it, sign a load of overpaid journeymen and increace our chances of staying up (still no guarantee though). But in doing so rip the heart and ethos out of the club. The latter will probably serve us better in the short run, but there are a hell of a lot of clubs that have followed that path and are/will be paying for it for a long time. Take your pick, but thats why there is so much to hate about the PL and why mny would rather stick with what we have and if we go down, so be it.

The way we are currently looking and playing we would be a mid Championship team at best if we went down.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Nov 2012 17:50

Great we have another scapegoat.

How any of these players are not good enough for this level is beyond me given that we're one point off safety with a game in hand and strong goal difference. Clearly they are because they're doing a fair job.

It's not that anyone is too weak for the prem, it's more that the squad might need strengthening with the odd player, perhaps one or two big players who will lift everyone. Yes Legs isn't that big player but hes certainly not out of his depth here.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 25 Nov 2012 18:03

2 world wars, 1 world cup Great we have another scapegoat.

How any of these players are not good enough for this level is beyond me given that we're one point off safety with a game in hand and strong goal difference. Clearly they are because they're doing a fair job.

It's not that anyone is too weak for the prem, it's more that the squad might need strengthening with the odd player, perhaps one or two big players who will lift everyone. Yes Legs isn't that big player but hes certainly not out of his depth here.

Yep, if I remember correctly it had the desired effect last season when we got Roberts. Will we do it, or will we still be close enough to safety to get that/those player(s) in during the window? That is the, proverbial, $64,000 question.

Now, having nothing to do with your post per se, Tabb and Leigertwood are not good enough to be our only 2 1st choice CM options in the PL right now. Solid, honest, hard working professionals who have my utmost respect in that regard...but a Premier League quality midfield pairing? I just don't see it. And I full expect that they will both be playing close to, if not all of the, 90 minutes on Tuesday after a Saturday game. We have no other options...

Born 'n Bred Royal

by Born 'n Bred Royal » 25 Nov 2012 19:37

I know a Crystal Palace season ticket holder who says when they got relegated from the PL in 2005 he was quite simply awful, totally out of his depth, couldn't pass and was their clumsiest player by a mile.

Now I'm not suggesting by any stretch of the imagination that he is the sole reason for the predicament we find ourselves in (because he isn't) - but I really do fear that lightning will strike twice on this occasion where he gets a club promoted and relegated straight away in his first two full seasons with the club.

A solid, workman like defensive midfielder in the Championship, technically out of his depth in the Premiership - Warnock got rid of him (and Gorkss) as they were considered surplus to requirements in the top flight. Now we are seeing why.

Albert Spangler
Hob Nob Regular

by Albert Spangler » 25 Nov 2012 19:40

LoyalRoyalFan Starting to get into Coppell terrority here where we have the same players playing over and over again, as a result of being the managers favourites.

Leigertwood is simply not good enough at this level and needs to be dropped.

Are you going to bludgeon us with one of these obvious threads for every member of the squad?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Nov 2012 19:42

2 world wars, 1 world cup Great we have another scapegoat.

We are now two points off safety because a 'fair job' is not good enough. Furthermore, barring a miraculous turn around of form, we are likely to plummet like a stone in the next month or so.

As for the strong goal difference, games against Man U and Arsenal could well change that!

The table is as it is and that, together with what we have seen with our own eyes, strongly suggest that most of our players aren't good enough for this level. Of those that we have, how many and who do you think will be snapped up by PL clubs if we are relegated?

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 26 Nov 2012 09:36

RoyalBlue The way we are currently looking and playing we would be a mid Championship team at best .

Thats what the general view in November 2011. And 2010. And worse in 2009.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 26 Nov 2012 09:40

Tony Le Mesmer
RoyalBlue The way we are currently looking and playing we would be a mid Championship team at best .

Thats what the general view in November 2011. And 2010. And worse in 2009.

Who said we're not consistent?

murof

by murof » 26 Nov 2012 17:21

The problem with Leigertwood is that he keeps switching off and forgets that he's in the middle of a premier league football match. When he's up for it he is perfectly capable of winning us a game

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 27 Nov 2012 22:13

Is that a rhetorical question? or are you just stating the blinding obvious?

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 01 Dec 2012 23:25

I can't help feeling that ML has not been the same since picking up that injury a while ago. Is he still suffering?

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 02 Dec 2012 00:21

Agree with the post subject, no he isn't, but until The Turk is back I can't see it changing unless we change formation. We get exposed enough now playing 2 wingers, so can only see that getting worse if Guthrie plays.

Who would you sign?

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 02 Dec 2012 00:25

Scarface
Who would you sign?

Who would want to sign for us should be the question

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 02 Dec 2012 00:50

ManchesterRoyals
Scarface
Who would you sign?

Who would want to sign for us should be the question

Disagree, we are in the Premier League and if the wages are right there are lots of peacocks willing to sign. I personally would not want us to sign a load of tossers not willing to play Championship football next season, but will stay and collect their wages.

milyondollasmile

by milyondollasmile » 02 Dec 2012 01:16

Ledge has had some shockers but who in the team hasn't? He has also had some subtlety influential games as well. For me it doesn't look like he's in form at the moment and we are just waiting for him to shift into gear also one of my criticisms is that opposing players ghost past him too easy otherwise if you check his overall stats he is in the top five for distance traveled,speed(average),pass completion,total passes,interceptions, tackles etc. So personally I hope this situation can be turned around soon!

Hmm I wonder who will be the next scape goat?