Church

Sal Paradiso

Re: Church

by Sal Paradiso » 12 Nov 2012 10:35

Huddersfield fan at work getting very excited about him, but I think he's just excited that they've got Premier LOLeague playing for them

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 12 Nov 2012 10:49

He'll do well there, deserves a permanent move to a team at that level where he'll actually play.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Nov 2012 10:50

good luck churchy, hope you get a move, and hope it does you good.

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 12 Nov 2012 12:17

maffff
Simon Church hints at making permanent move away from Reading

Simon Church has hinted that he may be forced to secure a permanent switch away from Reading in order to get games.

The Wales international has linked up with Championship side Huddersfield Town on a short-term loan after slipping down the pecking order at the Madejski Stadium.

Church will initially spend one month with the Terriers, and impressed on his debut against Barnsley over the weekend as he provided an assist in a 1-0 derby win.

The 23-year-old admits he has room for improvement after taking in his first 90 minutes of the season, but feels he will only get better if he is playing regularly.

"I know I'm only here for a month at the moment, but I want to give it my all," Chruch, who is out of contract at the end of the season, said in the Reading Post.

"I've been waiting for my chance to play football and now I'm going to give my all.

"Perhaps something will happen at the end of it, but that's up to everyone else. I will keep my head down, work hard and take my chances when they come.

"I've been playing for Wales and in the reserves. However, it's not the same as coming here and playing at the weekend. I felt strong, I lagged a bit towards the end, but it was a tough game and I'm pleased to get through the 90 minutes.

"I was just really pleased to play and show people what I can do. Hopefully that is the start of good things."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11673/8244219?

Good for us. He'll be off perm in Jan then just as they have said Pearce will be if he doesn't sign a new deal.

royal_ross

by royal_ross » 12 Nov 2012 13:38

I love Churchy he always gives us 100% but sadly he hasn't got the quality. Hopefully he'll go to a good championship team and get goals. If he does leave he'll get a applause from me if he ever comes back to the Mad Stad

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 12 Nov 2012 13:48

Yeah, I like Church. He always gives his best and I wish him well if he moves.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 28 Nov 2012 14:22

Church service resumes as striker is given new lease of life on loan at Huddersfield
By Rajvir Rai (@R_Rai)

When Huddersfield scored a 90th-minute goal against Brighton two weeks ago, it was nothing more than a consolation. It briefly raised the hopes of home fans that their team may salvage a point having been 2-0 down, but ultimately the goal proved inconsequential — almost insignificant.

But for Simon Church the neat finish into the left corner of the net from six yards out meant so much more. Huddersfield may have lost that afternoon, but Church left the Galpharm Stadium victorious.

‘It had been a long time coming,’ says Church of his eight-month goal drought. ‘In the context of the game it didn’t mean much but personally it was a relief, a weight of my shoulders and a great confidence boost. It was good to get a lot of my frustration out and it is something I can build on now.’

Out of favour: Church (centre) has been allowed to leave Reading on loan
As Church talks it becomes clear his barren spell wasn’t as frustrating as his lack of regular playing time; Saturday afternoons spent in front of the TV or checking scores on the internet were more irritating than the accumulating minutes since his last goal.

‘A couple of years ago I would have had confidence issues,’ he admits, ‘because it is tough as a young striker, there is a lot of pressure on you to score goals and if it doesn’t happen then that can affect you. But now I’m comfortable with my ability and I always knew if I got a chance I would score goals.

‘I mean, I’ve never really played 10 games in a row, 20 games in a row, and as a striker you need that because it is hard to play one week and then miss out for the next couple of weeks.

‘I’m not one to sit back and just enjoy training. I thought I would get more chances than I have at Reading but now I’ve got the chance to play at Huddersfield and that is all I really want to do.

‘Some people might be happy being part of squads – and at times you are going to have to do that. But I’ve done that for the last three years and it is time for me to play football now.

‘When you are not part of the squad on a Saturday it is frustrating, very frustrating. It is what you train and build up to all week, it is your chance to go and play in front of a big crowd. As a striker, scoring goals is the best feeling ever and when you don’t get the chance to do that you feel like you are training for the sake of training.’

High hopes: Church is looking to make an impact at the Galpharm Stadium
At 23 and with just six months left on his Reading contract, Church had no hesitations when Huddersfield came calling earlier this month.

‘When I got the call to come up here, I literally had to pack a bag and go,’ he recalls. ‘I was told the hotel I had to get to and the time, and I just went. It pretty frantic.’

His loan deal has been extended by a month to January, but Church is not taking anything for granted and is all too aware how important this spell is for him.

‘I came here thinking I’ve got to make the most out of these four games and luckily that has been extended, but I’ve still got the same mentality. Every game is a cup final for me.

‘I can’t focus too much on my contract situation and what is going to happen when I go back to Reading. I’ve got to focus on what I can do on the pitch.’
The festive fixture list is equally important to Huddersfield, too. Two defeats and a draw in their last three games mean Simon Grayson’s side are four points off the play-offs and the next two months could decide their promotion credentials.

New boys: Huddersfield were promoted via the play-offs in May
Church, promoted with Reading last season, believes Huddersfield have the quality to mount a sustained promotion challenge. ‘The Reading team I was in last season knew how to grind out results and win games and those same battling qualities are here at Huddersfield,’ he says.

Next up on Saturday are Yorkshire rivals Leeds, Grayson’s old side, who Church scored a delightful chip against last season in a 1-0 victory for Reading.

‘It is a massive game for everyone at Huddersfield,’ says Church. ‘I can’t wait. A lot of local people have been coming up to me and telling me how big the game is and how I need to score against them again. I wouldn’t say it is added pressure but I know there is a lot riding on this game.’

Huddersfield’s fans have taken to Church since his move and he admits it is nice to feel wanted again after his months in the wilderness at Reading. ‘It is a great feeling, no matter who you are,’ he says. ‘I’ve been getting loads of messages on Twitter and bumping into people in the town and everyone has been really supportive. The fans are great and it does give you that extra confidence and happiness when people are behind you.’

If he can score a few more goals, he may even feel loved again at Reading.

Sign him up!

ArfieldGood

by ArfieldGood » 02 Dec 2012 11:34

Hi Huddersfield fan here. Please please can you recall Church. Struggling to work out what he offers. Made Alan Lee look like Messi yesterday!!

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 02 Dec 2012 11:36

ArfieldGood Hi Huddersfield fan here. Please please can you recall Church. Struggling to work out what he offers. Made Alan Lee look like Messi yesterday!!

:D why do you think we let you have him?

ArfieldGood

by ArfieldGood » 02 Dec 2012 11:45

windermere_royal
ArfieldGood Hi Huddersfield fan here. Please please can you recall Church. Struggling to work out what he offers. Made Alan Lee look like Messi yesterday!!

Haha yeah but you let us have Morrison and he was class (good to see him starting for ya, massive favourite round are way) You're just getting your own back cos we didn't sell Rhodes to you :D

Wont have seen Church as much as you's but he doesn't seem very quick, can't hold the ball up, first touch isn't great and he doesn't really score. Just not sure what he's meant to offer. Unless i'm missing something

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 02 Dec 2012 11:55

ArfieldGood
windermere_royal

Haha yeah but you let us have Morrison and he was class (good to see him starting for ya, massive favourite round are way) You're just getting your own back cos we didn't sell Rhodes to you :D

Wont have seen Church as much as you's but he doesn't seem very quick, can't hold the ball up, first touch isn't great and he doesn't really score. Just not sure what he's meant to offer. Unless i'm missing something

You are not missing a thing, he is a league 1 player at best, it`s a mystery how he has been here so long for me.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 02 Dec 2012 12:12

Aren't you guys excited for the day we announce he's signed a new contract! Playing crap at Huddersfield = he should be good enough for us..

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 02 Dec 2012 14:01

akranes Aren't you guys excited for the day we announce he's signed a new contract! Playing crap at Huddersfield = he should be good enough for us..

the sad thing is that might happen...hopefully we sell him in janurary and use that money to get a quality cm or two.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 02 Dec 2012 20:19

USA_Loyal_Royal
akranes Aren't you guys excited for the day we announce he's signed a new contract! Playing crap at Huddersfield = he should be good enough for us..

the sad thing is that might happen...hopefully we sell him in janurary and use that money to get a quality cm or two.

Quality cm or two cannot be purchased with peanuts...

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 02 Dec 2012 20:34

Church is woeful. He didn't shine in any of his loans in League 2 and League 1, and looked out of his depth in the Championship with us; with exception of one good season where he scored something like 12 goals?

Thankfully he's refused a new contract here and is likely to go on a free in the summer, if not in Jan. Huddersfield have already shown interest in keeping him, I expect on loan, but hopefully for a few bob. If he stays in the Championship though I'll be very surprised. He wont be there long. He has lower league written all over him, but will hopefully prove to be a late developer, as he's a nice lad and always gives his best.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 02 Dec 2012 20:39

SPARTA Church is woeful. He didn't shine in any of his loans in League 2 and League 1, and looked out of his depth in the Championship with us; with exception of one good season where he scored something like 12 goals?

Thankfully he's refused a new contract here and is likely to go on a free in the summer, if not in Jan. Huddersfield have already shown interest in keeping him, I expect on loan, but hopefully for a few bob. If he stays in the Championship though I'll be very surprised. He wont be there long. He has lower league written all over him, but will hopefully prove to be a late developer, as he's a nice lad and always gives his best.

every time i see his stats i cant think of why we still kept him on for so long.

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 03 Dec 2012 10:32

USA_Loyal_Royal
SPARTA Church is woeful. He didn't shine in any of his loans in League 2 and League 1, and looked out of his depth in the Championship with us; with exception of one good season where he scored something like 12 goals?

every time i see his stats i cant think of why we still kept him on for so long.

Remember him being the3 best player on the pitch in a Wales u21 vs England u21 game a few years ago. There was definitely a spark of something there, unfortunately we have just never been able to help him realise that potential.

He has never seemed to be a bad apple in the squad and would I hope receive the best wishes of most Reading fans if he chooses to move on to kick start his career.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Dec 2012 10:38

The thing I think you need to keep in mind with Church is that he isn't a forward who's going to score a lot of goals. It's just not his game.

Although I don't think he's good enough to play consistently in the Championship because he's just too average at everything (he doesn't have a real 'weapon' as such). Alongside the right partner or in the right formation he could be effective, but only if you're not expecting him to score too many goals or dominate a defence in any way.

I'd expect to see him playing in a top 10 League One side when he finds his level.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Dec 2012 11:33

Hoop Blah The thing I think you need to keep in mind with Church is that he isn't a forward who's going to score a lot of goals. It's just not his game.

Although I don't think he's good enough to play consistently in the Championship because he's just too average at everything (he doesn't have a real 'weapon' as such). Alongside the right partner or in the right formation he could be effective, but only if you're not expecting him to score too many goals or dominate a defence in any way.

I'd expect to see him playing in a top 10 League One side when he finds his level.

Welcome to Bournemouth Simon.

ArfieldGood

by ArfieldGood » 03 Dec 2012 11:53

SPARTA Huddersfield have already shown interest in keeping him, I expect on loan, but hopefully for a few bob.

Sniper rifle purchased, scope set on Grayson. The second he looks like doing this i'm pulling the trigger