Re: Alex Pearce

by maffff » 03 Dec 2012 10:55

You mean he's not here for the love of Reading alone? :o :shock:

PEARCE OUT!

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 03 Dec 2012 11:02

Bonnet de Douche Rodney, bonnet de Douche.

noelgallagher

by noelgallagher » 03 Dec 2012 11:04

Delboy We are paying Alex Pearce wages so we should play him, our best defender on the bench when we are leaking goals! Even if he goes in January, he might help us pick up vital points in December could be the difference between staying up and relegation.
Come on BM & NH sort it out!

Subjective scrolling obviously bought you here and forced you to start a new thread on this. Go on, admit it.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Dec 2012 11:12

It's intriguing that players' standings always seem to improve when they don't play.
Pearce had some good performances last season in The Championship but so did Harte,Frederici and Ledge,none of whom have done so well at this higher level.
There is clearly something amiss ,whether it's to do with contract talks or something more,as he would surely have been considered for our leaky defence before these last two bench appearances.

I have always thought of him as being too slow and unathletic for this level of football but there is no doubting that he has been a fully committed player with limited ability-the type that Brian likes.
With the transfer window not so far away his immediate future ,be that a new contract signed or a move away,will probably be resolved.

Divvy

by Divvy » 03 Dec 2012 11:52

Delboy We are paying Alex Pearce wages so we should play him, our best defender on the bench when we are leaking goals! Even if he goes in January, he might help us pick up vital points in December could be the difference between staying up and relegation.
Come on BM & NH sort it out!

You really should have named yourself Trigger.

Rsince67

by Rsince67 » 03 Dec 2012 12:25

Zzz, tbh I've given up on this topic, it's so obviously been handled so shit. Why would Pearce sign now at a club which wont play him for off field reasons and looks increasingly likely to go down. Is be off in jan raising a middle finger to Hammond. I hope next year in the championship we can look back and think - wow I'm really glad we saved that 4grand a week on Pearces contract, it was so worth going down and getting no transfer fee for him. He loved this club and we farked it up. Lets not start saying he aint in the team for not contract reasons or he ain't committed farking baldie said on reading.com the boy has come to him and begged to stay

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 03 Dec 2012 14:45

One recent rumour was that Pearce is after 35K a week. If so it would be madness for the club to agree and we have to seek to sell him in Jan if at all possible.

Unfortunately this is the downside of the PL if unproven players at this level want 1.82M a year just to sign on again.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 03 Dec 2012 14:50

But is it unreasonable for Pearce - with his record last season and the POTs award - to ask for that sort of money when Pogrebnyak is on much, much more - I've heard that he was offered double that by Fulham and we outbid them for him.

That's what happens when you bring in someone who demands high wages - it pushed up the expectations of every other player, so why should he, or anyone else, be expected to stick to a low wage in comparison, or to be labelled as "greedy" in those circumstances?

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 03 Dec 2012 14:53

Alexander Litvinenko But is it unreasonable for Pearce - with his record last season and the POTs award - to ask for that sort of money when Pogrebnyak is on much, much more - I've heard that he was offered double that by Fulham and we outbid them for him.

That's what happens when you bring in someone who demands high wages - it pushed up the expectations of every other player, so why should he, or anyone else, be expected to stick to a low wage in comparison, or to be labelled as "greedy" in those circumstances?

^^^^ this and as mentioned elsewhere, even Federici is believed to be on over £30k with his deal signed this summer.

Even if he's resolved to leave it's so petty by the upper management to force this freeze out when Sidwell showed a player is fully capable of playing well for a club he respects.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 03 Dec 2012 14:57

From the clubs perspective, Alex is still young, other than world class players is anyone of his age worth that much yet?

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 03 Dec 2012 15:00

ZacNaloen From the clubs perspective, Alex is still young, other than world class players is anyone of his age worth that much yet?

But by Premier League standards that's not much! It's the standard amount for an established first-team player.

Figures from two seasons ago :
Average Premier League wages have reached £22,353 a week - before lucrative bonuses - or £1.16million a year.
Average Championship earnings are £4,059 a week (£211,068 a year), less than a fifth of players one division above.
In the bottom division, League Two, their weekly pay of £747 is not much more than the national average.
League Two earnings are also 30 times smaller than those in the Premier League.

winnersh_royal

by winnersh_royal » 03 Dec 2012 15:04

andrew1957 One recent rumour was that Pearce is after 35K a week.

HOW DARE HE ASK FOR PARITY WITH FEDERICI!!! GET RID IN JAN 100%%% JUST PUT MY FOOT THROUGH THE LAPTOP WHEN I FOUND OUT THIS GREEDY SO&SO WANTS ALMOST HALF WHAT POG GETS (after £3 million sign on fee). WHAT HAS PEARCE EVER DONE FOR THIS CLUB? NOTHING WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT LORD GUNTER'S CONTRIBUTION.

P.S SORRY ABOUT CAPS BUT WAS TOO ANGRY AFTER HEARING A PERMIER LEAGUE PLAYER ASKING FOR 35K A WEEK. THIS FAR MORE DISGUSTING THAN THE LIAM RIDGEWELL PICTURE AFAIC
Last edited by winnersh_royal on 03 Dec 2012 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 03 Dec 2012 15:05

Alexander Litvinenko
ZacNaloen From the clubs perspective, Alex is still young, other than world class players is anyone of his age worth that much yet?

But by Premier League standards that's not much! It's the standard amount for an established first-team player.

Figures from two seasons ago :
Average Premier League wages have reached £22,353 a week - before lucrative bonuses - or £1.16million a year.
Average Championship earnings are £4,059 a week (£211,068 a year), less than a fifth of players one division above.
In the bottom division, League Two, their weekly pay of £747 is not much more than the national average.
League Two earnings are also 30 times smaller than those in the Premier League.

He hasn't even proven himself above championship level yet. Being in a team that is in the prem != premiership player.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 03 Dec 2012 15:15

That sums up our approach really, doesn't it. Won't break our wage structure to sign players with experience and quality - and won't tie our best players to long-term deals with salaries befitting their status at the club and potential.

We HAVE to take some element of risk at some point!

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 03 Dec 2012 15:16

I know *sigh*

Just playing devils advocate really.

Pearce is going to be a top defender.

DandyRoyal

by DandyRoyal » 03 Dec 2012 15:24

Alexander Litvinenko But by Premier League standards that's not much! It's the standard amount for an established first-team player.

The obvious point is that Pearce isn't an established Premier League player. Although perhaps he thinks he is. I don't want to speculate on whether he is demanding big money because we don't know that, but if he is perhaps a step back and examination of the situation would be wise. He is young, obviously has talent and will have a successful career. 24 is young for a premier league centre back, a young talent should be focused on putting himself in the shop window if he is ambitious for his career (totally understandable), and in this case, attempting to break in to the RoI squad. That means actually playing games and if signing a new contract is the route to that it is probably actually the better long term career move.

Pearce was superb last year and has a fine footballing brain for a young man. It disappoints me we haven't seen more of him this season.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Dec 2012 15:31

winnersh_royal

HOW DARE HE ASK FOR PARITY WITH FEDERICI!!! GET RID IN JAN 100%%% JUST PUT MY FOOT THROUGH THE LAPTOP WHEN I FOUND OUT THIS GREEDY SO&SO WANTS ALMOST HALF WHAT POG GETS (after £3 million sign on fee). WHAT HAS PEARCE EVER DONE FOR THIS CLUB? NOTHING WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT LORD GUNTER'S CONTRIBUTION.

P.S SORRY ABOUT CAPS BUT WAS TOO ANGRY AFTER HEARING A PERMIER LEAGUE PLAYER ASKING FOR 35K A WEEK. THIS FAR MORE DISGUSTING THAN THE LIAM RIDGEWELL PICTURE AFAIC

Talking of Liam Ridgewell,a player who has played in the Premier League over a number of seasons, he was reported in today,s paper to be on £20,000 per week.
I would have thought Pearce by the same token is worth say £15,000 per week-the idea of £35,000 is ridiculous.
BTW I have heard that in the space of a year he has gone from being the decent modest likeable lad to something that isn't.
There is often a bonus when this sort of thing occurs and that is the emergence of Morrison who might otherwise not have got his chance.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Dec 2012 15:33

cant really give any credence to any opinions on here when they are based on hear say rumours of wages, and/or hearsay rumours of attitude changes

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Dec 2012 15:34

Dirk, when you say you've heard that Fulham offered Pogbrenyak more than £70k a week, and that we outbid them, what kind of source was that?

There seems to be a lot of talk about about his massive wages but I've not heard any reasonably sourced rumour that would suggest their massively higher. I know there's the story about Hunt kicking off about his wages, but is that true? Was Hunt really just reacting to the press reports that we were offering him £65k etc?

My impression is that all the stories about his wages stem from those newspaper stories about how much were were going to be paying and I don't think they were accurate.

I'm 100% certain that we have a number of players on more than £30-35k though, so I don't think it's that unlikely Pearce would be after that kind of money.

Rsince67

by Rsince67 » 03 Dec 2012 15:42

Victor Meldrew
winnersh_royal

Talking of Liam Ridgewell,a player who has played in the Premier League over a number of seasons, he was reported in today,s paper to be on £20,000 per week.
I would have thought Pearce by the same token is worth say £15,000 per week-the idea of £35,000 is ridiculous.
BTW I have heard that in the space of a year he has gone from being the decent modest likeable lad to something that isn't.
There is often a bonus when this sort of thing occurs and that is the emergence of Morrison who might otherwise not have got his chance.

Well its simple then, we should get rid of Pearcey and buy Ridgewell

769 posts