Sack him or Keep him

Poll ended at 15 Dec 2012 18:27
Sack
55%
Keep
45%

Total votes: 234
Colin Cheeselog

Re: Updated POLL After Southampton Debacle.

by Colin Cheeselog » 08 Dec 2012 22:18

windermere_royal What a difference two weeks make, the last poll had 2 to 1 for him to stay

A win on Tuesday and it will be that way again. That's the fickle (mong) nature of football fans.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 08 Dec 2012 22:20

Yeah, how very dare people judge a manager's performance on how his team is competing..

Far Canal

by Far Canal » 08 Dec 2012 22:20

Maguire
Federici's loss of form is bewildering. Not sure what to put that down to. If (and I know ifs are worth shit) he'd been in last season's form we'd probably have won at Chelsea and the whole season would've panned out differently.

I'd say it started with the different ball that's being used in the prem which apparently moves in the air more. It's caught out a number of keepers, most of whom seem to have got over it while Feds appears to have suffered a severe lack of confidence. He'll get over it given time, but we'll be in the championship by then.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 08 Dec 2012 22:22

Keep

We have a better squad now than the one that won us the championship title, so we have made progress. Unfortunately the Premier League is a nightmare division, but McDermott has continued to take the team forward even if it might not look like it. Players Like Robson Kanu, Le Fondre & Morrison have really come on this season and I think the future is bright. McDermott has taken us forward, so I accept the inevitable relegation and I'm happy to see McDermott stay in the job and continue to take us forward.

As I said, it might not feel like it, but we are moving forward. We are going in the right direction. For me, that is what matters.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 08 Dec 2012 22:23

Far Canal
Maguire
Federici's loss of form is bewildering. Not sure what to put that down to. If (and I know ifs are worth shit) he'd been in last season's form we'd probably have won at Chelsea and the whole season would've panned out differently.

I'd say it started with the different ball that's being used in the prem which apparently moves in the air more. It's caught out a number of keepers, most of whom seem to have got over it while Feds appears to have suffered a severe lack of confidence. He'll get over it given time, but we'll be in the championship by then.

I don't think many of his faults have been from long range shots where the ball has time to swerve, have they? Let's stick a pork pie at the centre and see how he gets on.

plroyals

by plroyals » 08 Dec 2012 22:24

Brian has done wonders for the club and my heart wants him to stay. But the results aren't good enough. i know the players have to take responsibility and the squad isn't good enough either but i still think the current team could do better. We've just been beaten by Wigan, Villa and Saints. all teams we need to get points against, if not wins definitely draws. I'm going into the Sunderland game with no confidence at all. Happy to back Brian but sadly my head thinks it's time for him to go.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 08 Dec 2012 22:25

Another point, if the fans would engage in some motivational booing a bit more often our results would probably improve. Below par performances from the players are not acceptable. Just as the players are praised and cheered when they win, they ought to be abused and berated whenever they don't perform.

GSY-Royal

by GSY-Royal » 08 Dec 2012 22:25

If Santa offered me Dick Advocaat, it would definitely be a white christmas, following a massive ejaculation.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Dec 2012 22:35

Colin Cheeselog
windermere_royal What a difference two weeks make, the last poll had 2 to 1 for him to stay

A win on Tuesday and it will be that way again. That's the fickle (mong) nature of football fans.

No, a win on Tuesday buys him time - not security, because he's earnt our patience from his past performance if he can show a possibility of turning it around. Personally, I think 16 games is pretty patient for a manager who's team has repeatedly thrown away winning or secure positions, is leaking goals like you wouldn't believe, has absolutely nothing in midfield, is 6 points adrift of safety, has made poor team selection and subsitution decisions repeatedly and has one league win.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 08 Dec 2012 22:43

I went for keep, until at least halfway through next season (incase we're struggling in the championship)

clauski

by clauski » 08 Dec 2012 23:58

Keep. There's no benefit in sacking him. We've been so underwhelming you have to ask (i) Who's going to want to come here (ii) How would they be able to turn it around (we don't have the quality Redknapp can work with at QPR, and no-one's going to want to sign in January). We're doomed, doomed!! See if Brian can do anything about it and if not start afresh in the Championship next year.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 09 Dec 2012 07:52

But that is exactly why we need a new manager now.

If we wait until the summer to bring in a new guy then we will suffer our trademark slow start to 2013/2014. If we bring him in now and let him work with the players and youngsters in an aborted Premier League "campaign" he will then be in a much better position to know what signings he needs to make next summer to build a squad that might compete in the championship.

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 09 Dec 2012 08:18

Colin Cheeselog

A win will give time, a completely changed performance and team selection will change my mind. A one nil win from a set piece after being outplayed for 90 minutes is not a good enough prospect for the rest of the season given that it has gotten us 1 win in 15 games so far.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 09 Dec 2012 08:48

1 game. If Sunderland is another from the billy ballsup big book of tactical masterstrokes like Wigan, like Villa, like Southampton then that's it as far as I am concerned.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 09 Dec 2012 13:04

Goodbye Brian.

Where do we start.

This season was always going to be difficult with the quality of the squad we have. We were rather fortunate to gain promotion last season and I personally feel we are not ready for a return to the prem. Our style and mentality are old fashioned in a game where more and more teams are modernising to the continental style of football. Just look at how much money is being invested in coaching the young players across the country to be technically better. If the national team recognise that we need to have better technical ability to compete, then so should we. We can't keep the ball, we seem to enjoy hoofing and the personnel are not being used to their strengths. Guthrie is our most talented and experienced (not inc Harte) prem player who can pass the ball. However, Brian has told him to change the way he plays and ultimately taken away his strengths. Pog is also at his best when the ball is at his feet, yet the ball is constantly hoofed to him and again taking away his strengths. These are just small examples of my last point.

For me, we are done, whether Brian goes or not. We now need to change the way we play, which will take time with the way the current squad have been programmed to play for the last few years.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 09 Dec 2012 13:13

RoyalinBracknell If I were on the board I'd sit down McDermott and try and get a sense of his long-term strategy for the club.

What the fark does this mean? Pointless words

Fezza

by Fezza » 09 Dec 2012 13:36

Conflicting arguments in my head!

With my head...

We have the worst squad in the Prem by a country mile, we've just lost to a side who spent £27 million and sit above a side who have spent much, much more. Yes some of the tactical decisions seem a bit weird (but then his options from the bench aren't great), but it is hard to say how much of this is BMcD's fault without knowing what money and player options he had in the summer.

With my heart...

Results are dire, get someone in now who has managed successfully at this level (recently) and give them a big pot of cash to keep us up!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Dec 2012 13:37

Tragic because, despite what RR says, I do appreciate what he achieved in seasons past and he is a genuinely nice guy (that's McD not RR!). However, these rarely, if ever, count in the cut throat world that is the PL. I suspect the vote would be a lot more in favour of him going but for one, other or both of two factors: It's probably too late to make a difference, unless there is already a replacement lined up, and simply because it's Brian McDermott we are talking about and supporters don't want to see it happen to him as a person. I doubt there are (m)any who are now saying keep him because he can turn things around this season.

Whatever happens, I do not think McDermott will be our manager by the summer of 2014. If we go down, I do not subscribe to the bounce back straight away theory. How often does that really happen? What's more there will be clubs far better placed to compete for the three places next season in the Championship. These are likely to include QPR who will have the financial clout and the right manager to bring them straight back and buck the trend I previously referred to. I also see hints that Harry is already starting to turn his thoughts to that campaign.

Maybe Brian is doing the same - how else can we explain his stubborn and futile persistence in 4-4-2 and his belief that merely throwing 3 forwards on in the closing stages of the game will automatically bring us goals. Perhaps it is so his team will be completely versed in those tactics ready for next season's promotion campaign!

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 09 Dec 2012 14:03

RoyalBlue Tragic because, despite what RR says, I do appreciate what he achieved in seasons past and he is a genuinely nice guy (that's McD not RR!). However, these rarely, if ever, count in the cut throat world that is the PL. I suspect the vote would be a lot more in favour of him going but for one, other or both of two factors: It's probably too late to make a difference, unless there is already a replacement lined up, and simply because it's Brian McDermott we are talking about and supporters don't want to see it happen to him as a person. I doubt there are (m)any who are now saying keep him because he can turn things around this season.

Whatever happens, I do not think McDermott will be our manager by the summer of 2014. If we go down, I do not subscribe to the bounce back straight away theory. How often does that really happen? What's more there will be clubs far better placed to compete for the three places next season in the Championship. These are likely to include QPR who will have the financial clout and the right manager to bring them straight back and buck the trend I previously referred to. I also see hints that Harry is already starting to turn his thoughts to that campaign.

Maybe Brian is doing the same - how else can we explain his stubborn and futile persistence in 4-4-2 and his belief that merely throwing 3 forwards on in the closing stages of the game will automatically bring us goals. Perhaps it is so his team will be completely versed in those tactics ready for next season's promotion campaign!

Spot on.

Any other club would have put him out of his misery by now. Everyone is desperate for him to succeed however his outdated tactics, poor transfer dealings and inability to integrate his new signings has doomed us. Unfortunately, when you sit at the top table of English football, the risks are high and his performance does not warrant keeping his job. He should have been sacked after the Villa game.

I for one think it is a great shame that all last seasons hard work has been thrown away.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 09 Dec 2012 14:03

Whatever happens, I do not think McDermott will be our manager by the summer of 2014

I do agree with this comment. If we go down & lose 30 games this season I can't see how belief is suddenly restored because you are in a lower league as it just doesn't work like that.

As sad as it may be, I think the writing is on the wall now.

We'll never know for sure what Brian could have achieved as he wasn't give the full complement of tools for the job & it was always going to be a struggle. Graft can only get you so far after all..

I for one will be gutted to see him go.

169 posts