Back From The Game. Southampton Away

181 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Back From The Game. Southampton Away

by RoyalBlue » 09 Dec 2012 19:25

St Chalet Saints fan here in peace. Live in Reading and have watched you guys a few times in the Championship over the years.

Yesterday you tried the same game plan that worked well against us last season, basically to setup very tight and hit us on the counter.

There were some subtle differences from last years game though. Firstly Jason Roberts bullied Fonte all night in April, looks like our CB recovered from the ordeal and left Roberts to throw himself on the floor everytime he got close. Elbowed our teenage left back in first 30 seconds, classy.

Secondly we now have a left-back you can defend. Whilst Fox is ok going forward he has been shown how to defend by a 17 year old lad fresh from the academy. Fox was at fault for your first goal with a Hollywood ball.

Thirdly, you didn't take your chances, last season you mugged us by scoring with every chance you had. Robson-Kanu header onto post and header at the end (I forget who) were wasteful.

Fourth, bringing on Hunt and surrendering the midfield was criminal, we are so poor at closing out games this season and you let us roll the ball around in the last 10. Would have been better bringing in Guthrie who can at least pass - he was a quality player when on loan to us in 2007. The hoof hadn't worked for 75 minutes, why not try something else?

Positives, you made it very hard for us to break you down. The back 5 looked ok as a unit. You can put it right Tuesday.

Basically you came with a plan, it was busted when we scored and you appeared to have no plan B.

Fans were quiet on both sides, quietest I have heard St Mary's for a while.

Would you please do us a favour and email a certain Brian McDermott with this bit of feedback and advice! He just can't see it, which is one of the reasons it is probably time for him to go.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 09 Dec 2012 19:30

Snowball Surely a complete penis is a good thing?

Ban this anti semetic filth

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Dec 2012 19:40

St Chalet Saints fan here in peace. Live in Reading and have watched you guys a few times in the Championship over the years.

Yesterday you tried the same game plan that worked well against us last season, basically to setup very tight and hit us on the counter.

There were some subtle differences from last years game though. Firstly Jason Roberts bullied Fonte all night in April, looks like our CB recovered from the ordeal and left Roberts to throw himself on the floor everytime he got close. Elbowed our teenage left back in first 30 seconds, classy.

Secondly we now have a left-back you can defend. Whilst Fox is ok going forward he has been shown how to defend by a 17 year old lad fresh from the academy. Fox was at fault for your first goal with a Hollywood ball.

Thirdly, you didn't take your chances, last season you mugged us by scoring with every chance you had. Robson-Kanu header onto post and header at the end (I forget who) were wasteful.

Fourth, bringing on Hunt and surrendering the midfield was criminal, we are so poor at closing out games this season and you let us roll the ball around in the last 10. Would have been better bringing in Guthrie who can at least pass - he was a quality player when on loan to us in 2007. The hoof hadn't worked for 75 minutes, why not try something else?

Positives, you made it very hard for us to break you down. The back 5 looked ok as a unit. You can put it right Tuesday.

Basically you came with a plan, it was busted when we scored and you appeared to have no plan B.

Fans were quiet on both sides, quietest I have heard St Mary's for a while.

Totally agree with this
It's always seemed like schoolboy footie philosophy to me - we're losing better get as many forwards on as possible
Surrendering the midfield and game was about right

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 09 Dec 2012 19:46

bcubed

Even from a saints fan

Why the fxxk cant BM see it week in week out same thing

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 09 Dec 2012 19:47

You know (and the Howard haters are going to shoot me down in flames here) there was a period of time when McDermott would bring on Brian Howard as a plan B if Plan A wasn't going to plan and, more often than not it worked. I think of Hull away Christmas 2010 in particular, under pressure for 60-odd minutes, 1-0 down, Howard comes on and suddenly we look a much more potent, focussed, cultured team because we simply had a passer of the ball on the pitch. And we got the point we eventually deserved (even had the luxury of a saved penalty as well). Yesterday reminded me so much of that game in particular, and it was crying out for one of our players to put their foot on the ball. Danny Guthrie, stand up and be counted and prove us all right when you get your next chance...

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 09 Dec 2012 19:55

Oh C'mon, is St Chalet for real?
Bit coincidental that everything that is bitched about on HNA is brought up verbatim from a bloke who registers today from the opposition. 'Where's Plan B' , 'Guthrie was needed',knew that the substitution was crap, hoofball, fans too quiet etc etc. How many blokes on here could give a decent in depth review of Shampton and their weekly problems? Don't believe it - (although he ain't wrong!).

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 09 Dec 2012 20:08

handbags_harris You know (and the Howard haters are going to shoot me down in flames here) there was a period of time when McDermott would bring on Brian Howard as a plan B if Plan A wasn't going to plan and, more often than not it worked. I think of Hull away Christmas 2010 in particular, under pressure for 60-odd minutes, 1-0 down, Howard comes on and suddenly we look a much more potent, focussed, cultured team because we simply had a passer of the ball on the pitch. And we got the point we eventually deserved (even had the luxury of a saved penalty as well). Yesterday reminded me so much of that game in particular, and it was crying out for one of our players to put their foot on the ball. Danny Guthrie, stand up and be counted and prove us all right when you get your next chance...

I agree with you. I was always a Howard fan. But then I was always a Matejovsky fan. I'm always a big believer in anyone who can get on the ball and actually try to play football. I remember Howard having a storming game for us at Donny away (I think) and us looking like a genuine footballing side. The most depressing aspect for me during this miserable run has been McD's stubborness and his lack of a plan B, most notably not utilising Guthrie.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Dec 2012 20:08

Pandoras Box Oh C'mon, is St Chalet for real?
Bit coincidental that everything that is bitched about on HNA is brought up verbatim from a bloke who registers today from the opposition. 'Where's Plan B' , 'Guthrie was needed',knew that the substitution was crap, hoofball, fans too quiet etc etc. How many blokes on here could give a decent in depth review of Shampton and their weekly problems? Don't believe it - (although he ain't wrong!).

It is possible he went to last years game and to this years and told us what he saw

St Chalet

by St Chalet » 09 Dec 2012 20:15

Pandoras Box Oh C'mon, is St Chalet for real?

As others have said. If a Saints fan can see it watching you for 90 minutes I am very surprised your manager can't having done so for 4 months.

Adkins got masses of crap from us for some early tactical fails. He screwed up completely going 4-4-2 against Wigan chasing the game, and compounded it a week later by hauling off our three most effective players (Lambert, Puncheon & Lallana) whilst 2-1 up against United.

Mostly I chose to register today as I never had anything relevant to post on a Reading forum :lol:

St Chalet

by St Chalet » 09 Dec 2012 20:26

Consistent on my view of Guthrie. Was disappointed not to sign him.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.p ... ost1381267

Didn't he confess on Twitter that he wasn't picked because he likes to pass too much and the manager wants it played direct?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 09 Dec 2012 20:37

Yes. Its pathetic that McDermott has lost it so completely this year.

He started out 2 years ago quite radical, plan b's even plan C's and was tactically adventurous. But now he's just making the same mistakes as coppell again and we have got more one dimensional every transfer window.

Not all his fault and he tried to bring a player in to make the changes that were needed, and has completely failed to manage him.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Dec 2012 20:44

West_Reading
handbags_harris You know (and the Howard haters are going to shoot me down in flames here) there was a period of time when McDermott would bring on Brian Howard as a plan B if Plan A wasn't going to plan and, more often than not it worked. I think of Hull away Christmas 2010 in particular, under pressure for 60-odd minutes, 1-0 down, Howard comes on and suddenly we look a much more potent, focussed, cultured team because we simply had a passer of the ball on the pitch. And we got the point we eventually deserved (even had the luxury of a saved penalty as well). Yesterday reminded me so much of that game in particular, and it was crying out for one of our players to put their foot on the ball. Danny Guthrie, stand up and be counted and prove us all right when you get your next chance...

I agree with you. I was always a Howard fan. But then I was always a Matejovsky fan. I'm always a big believer in anyone who can get on the ball and actually try to play football. I remember Howard having a storming game for us at Donny away (I think) and us looking like a genuine footballing side. The most depressing aspect for me during this miserable run has been McD's stubborness and his lack of a plan B, most notably not utilising Guthrie.

Me too. I have always liked players who play skilful and intelligent football. So I was also a fan of the likes of Beavon, Taylor (Les) and Caskey.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Dec 2012 20:57

ZacNaloen Yes. Its pathetic that McDermott has lost it so completely this year.

He started out 2 years ago quite radical, plan b's even plan C's and was tactically adventurous. But now he's just making the same mistakes as coppell again and we have got more one dimensional every transfer window.

Not all his fault and he tried to bring a player in to make the changes that were needed, and has completely failed to manage him.

Agree but to be fair it's a bit late after you've signed someone to realise he's a twat and he's not going to fit in

harryroyal

by harryroyal » 09 Dec 2012 21:36

i'll miss the prem but losing ever week isn't good for my health.

harryroyal

by harryroyal » 09 Dec 2012 21:37

harryroyal i'll miss the prem but losing ever week isn't good for my health.

shit wrong thread.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 09 Dec 2012 21:52

Schards#2
Snowball Surely a complete penis is a good thing?

Ban this anti semetic filth

LOL :D

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 09 Dec 2012 22:04

St Chalet header onto post and header at the end (I forget who)

That was LeFondre, the very same who scored twice against you in April. Surprised you forgot.

St Chalet

by St Chalet » 09 Dec 2012 22:27

RockheadRumple
St Chalet header onto post and header at the end (I forget who)

That was LeFondre, the very same who scored twice against you in April. Surprised you forgot.

Erased that night from my memory as much as I could, thanks for reminding me!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Dec 2012 23:11

bcubed

It's always seemed like schoolboy footie philosophy to me - we're losing better get as many forwards on as possible
Surrendering the midfield and game was about right

Games are won and lost in midfield and the higher up the leagues you go I think the truer that gets. Kick and rush only gets you so far because you can't adapt with it. If the opposition understand your attacking outlets and can keep the ball better, they'll beat you most of the time.

Our attack play is at best two dimensional - kick it long to a striker / into the wide channels to be chased or get it out wide and run with it. One's low percentage and hopeful, the other is easily negated by doubling up. And you can do that easily by shifting a decent midfield around. I can't be bothered to count it properly, but look at how many of our goals come from set pieces, 2x Utd, 1 x Wigan, QPR, Stoke, 1 x Chelsea, 1 x Everton. That's almost half our goals off the top of my head.

It's great that we can score from set pieces, but my god have we started to look particularly toothless otherwise. And when you're haemoraging goals at the back because you can't retain possession, win the ball back or defend your back line what does it matter?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Dec 2012 23:14

bcubed
ZacNaloen Yes. Its pathetic that McDermott has lost it so completely this year.

Agree but to be fair it's a bit late after you've signed someone to realise he's a twat and he's not going to fit in

But is he a twat, or have his complaints been the same as the fan's and utterly justified? Because to me, if anyone's been a twat it seems its McDermott.

181 posts