How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

3209 posts
holsgrove breaks a leg

Re: How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 10 Dec 2012 11:01

In all honesty you can look as far back as BM's introduction as RFC manager to see where things have slipped as they have now. Having the likes of Siggurdson and Long as bright lights in a side short of confidence under BM paid dividends. The season BM took over and also the Playoff season saw a team where he was able to employ different and effective formations ( actually having a plan B especially away from home) whilst also shaking off the lack of confidence left by the dealings of Brendan Rodgers. Kebe was also able to benefit from the more pressing nature of our game at this time as well and was as highly effective as the two i mentioned. You always need two or three 'enigma' players who possess that quality on the ball,speed and skill. The loss of Long and Sigurdsson coupled with Kebe's huge inconsistencies and inuries i feel has finally caught up with us as we have clearly not replaced these two in any way (this pre season was crying out for it with alarms ringing) and now have to resort to employing a workman like ethic you would consistently see in the lower divisions. Of course part of that ethic was a reason for our unexpected promotion last season, but the frailties were there too see and to act and improve on.

When i look back at the last season we got relegated under Coppell, yes we could also have spent better in certain areas to have got us clear of relegation but at least we pressed teams and ultimately were pretty unfortunate to go down, a costly January the main reason for our relegation and we were clear in March only to tail off again. As things stand we are relegation material right from the off and bar a massive upturn in fortunes will be so until the end,employing a workman like ethic that is clearly not effective or enjoyable in this division. I do feel that BM came in and did was was needed at the time post Rodgers with a decent Championship squad,this was rewarded with an un expected promotion but the failure to replace the likes of Long and Siggy particularily at the start of the season have become all too evident.This coupled with BM's insistence to employ a workman like team since Siggy and Long left has ultimately opened up huge question marks in how he presents a team on the pitch. Would firing BM now make any difference in our bid to stay up, probably not but football after all is entertainment which is severly lacking now and its clear his mantra would not change in the championship. I cannot see how a squad that already appears to be breaking away from BM's 'close knit ethos' would be prepared to fight in the championship like they did in our promotion season.It is almost like we need a clean break away from anything RFC related since many appointments in the last 10-15 years have had connections already.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 10 Dec 2012 11:06

also the lack of depth in terms of coaching staff is quite alarming, where are the fresh new ideas that BM can look to if things are not going well?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 10 Dec 2012 11:13

Great post HBaL. I reckon the Kebe injury has really had an effect on the way we play.

Anyone got any news about the Kebe situation?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 10 Dec 2012 11:15

Harpers So Solid Crew
andrew1957 According to SJM's interview on BBCRB this morning he would like Brian here for the long haul so don't get too excited about getting rid of him.

Personally I agree. Absolutely no point in replacing him and better to back him in the Championship next year. We now know that more than half our players cannot cut it at this level so I would use the next two transfer windows to offload as many of the old guard as I could and bring in fresh younger talent to replace them.

Who really wants another season of hoofball.

Exactly the current lot will just keep playing hoofball in the Championship next season. We need to change the style of play but we don't have the players at the moment. McD proved he could make 4-2-3-1 work when we had Siggy but we have never replaced him - as established players of his quality are out of our price range.

You either spend tens of millions to buy established ones or you buy and develop youngsters. I would go for the second option. I think the likes of Obita and Samuel could be big players for us and also Edwards and Tshibola. Obita could in time play the Siggy role - although too early to say if he can ever be good enough. And we should buy in other younger lower league talent to supplement our own. Then next time we get promoted we have a chance. I don't think that 4-4-2 can work in the PL now unless you have very good players. Most top teams are playing 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. We just don't have the players for anything but 4-4-2 which is why Brian is being forced to stick with it.

What I want from Zingarovich is not to sell the next Long and Sigurdsson when we have developed them.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 10 Dec 2012 11:36

andrew1957
Harpers So Solid Crew
andrew1957 According to SJM's interview on BBCRB this morning he would like Brian here for the long haul so don't get too excited about getting rid of him.

Personally I agree. Absolutely no point in replacing him and better to back him in the Championship next year. We now know that more than half our players cannot cut it at this level so I would use the next two transfer windows to offload as many of the old guard as I could and bring in fresh younger talent to replace them.

Who really wants another season of hoofball.

Exactly the current lot will just keep playing hoofball in the Championship next season. We need to change the style of play but we don't have the players at the moment. McD proved he could make 4-2-3-1 work when we had Siggy but we have never replaced him - as established players of his quality are out of our price range.

You either spend tens of millions to buy established ones or you buy and develop youngsters. I would go for the second option. I think the likes of Obita and Samuel could be big players for us and also Edwards and Tshibola. Obita could in time play the Siggy role - although too early to say if he can ever be good enough. And we should buy in other younger lower league talent to supplement our own. Then next time we get promoted we have a chance. I don't think that 4-4-2 can work in the PL now unless you have very good players. Most top teams are playing 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. We just don't have the players for anything but 4-4-2 which is why Brian is being forced to stick with it.

What I want from Zingarovich is not to sell the next Long and Sigurdsson when we have developed them.

I would argue that Siggy wasn't established at the time! I think what is clear is that BM's mindset seemed to change after Siggy and Long left from utilising different formations and having the players to do so to firmly using the workmanlike ethic come what may.Granted the lack of money might have been the issue at the time when they both left, but it doesn't mean that BM should have firmly changed his tactical decisions (despite our un expected or even untimely promotion!) or, using his chief scout experiences to scour the market for cheaper replacements for similar types of players. I would like to see Samuel or Obita given a little run in the first team, but BM's history at RFC suggests that he doesn't blood any new youngsters in (save for D'ath's cameo in a cup game ditto for obita). Whether that is just how he sees it or whether the youngsters are not actually cutting it for first team action is another matter.However if we are to look to youth players to step up in order that money is not thrown at new signings, it is clearly not working out that way throughout his tenure.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Dec 2012 11:41

Who is the next Prem Manager to go?

Bookies starting to think Tuesday Night's game might be a clincher for McD or MoN

MoN is 13/8 favourite. McD is 4-1 second favourite.

For me that defies logic. IMO MoN is a top manager, has a better squad, team is at home
so Sunderland should be strong favourites for a win.

I can only think that the bookies believe the McD-Anton love-in stuff.

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 10 Dec 2012 11:44

I would argue that Siggy wasn't established at the time! I think what is clear is that BM's mindset seemed to change after Siggy and Long left from utilising different formations and having the players to do so to firmly using the workmanlike ethic come what may.Granted the lack of money might have been the issue at the time when they both left, but it doesn't mean that BM should have firmly changed his tactical decisions (despite our un expected or even untimely promotion!) or, using his chief scout experiences to scour the market for cheaper replacements for similar types of players. I would like to see Samuel or Obita given a little run in the first team, but BM's history at RFC suggests that he doesn't blood any new youngsters in (save for D'ath's cameo in a cup game ditto for obita). Whether that is just how he sees it or whether the youngsters are not actually cutting it for first team action is another matter.However if we are to look to youth players to step up in order that money is not thrown at new signings, it is clearly not working out that way throughout his tenure.[/quote]

I would think that the fact neither D'Ath nor Obita have had any great success whilst on respective loan spells thus far would suggest that they are not yet ready to be near our first team.

In fact I do worry that the current crop of youngsters all seem to be really struggling to cut the mustard on their lower division loans. Doesn't bode over well for the medium term future....

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 10 Dec 2012 11:46

There does appear to be a touch of the Neville Roachs about the current lot. :cry:

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 10 Dec 2012 11:52

Morning Pcunts

I'm looking forward* to the dribble you're going to post today

Yours
CU1

*i'm really not

Divvy

by Divvy » 10 Dec 2012 12:09

cmonurz There does appear to be a touch of the Neville Roachs about the current lot. :cry:

They've all got kids they refused to pay CSA for?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 10 Dec 2012 12:19

creative_username_1 Morning Pcunts

I'm looking forward* to the dribble you're going to post today

Yours
CU1

*i'm really not

POTD

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Dec 2012 23:04

He's not exactly shown a great deal of skill in building a quality team. His transfer activity is either poor or reactive. The players he's brought in successfully have largely filled holes in-season, rather than built on foundations. Why do you think we're in a situation where we don't have the players to play anything but shitty hopeful direct bollocks. Because McDermott built us that way.

He's repeatedly binned players with passing ability after short periods where the team was struggling to adjust to better football and just reverted to kick and rush in a clear case of short-termism.

McDermott's a decent to great manager in a relatively level playing field when guts and team spirit can do almost as much as quality. Especially when we could afford to have some of the best players in the league.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 10 Dec 2012 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

Forest Gump

by Forest Gump » 10 Dec 2012 23:17

to all those who argue in favour of giving a bit more time please answer this:

If he can't motivate his players to give it their all against Premier League oppostion how exactly is he going to motivate them to do it in the Championship?

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 10 Dec 2012 23:57

My money is on Wednesdy morning he will gt his marching orders after another debacle against Sunderland.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 11 Dec 2012 00:05

Forest Gump to all those who argue in favour of giving a bit more time please answer this:

If he can't motivate his players to give it their all against Premier League oppostion how exactly is he going to motivate them to do it in the Championship?

By offering them a oxf*rd MASSIVE BONUS on promotion you idiot.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 11 Dec 2012 02:26

To those arguing for nmore time, then it seems like kicking the can to put off the harsh reality that Brian is not up to the job. We all agree he is a great guy and has given his all fro the club, but he just does not appear up to it. He has had enought time and he hasn't delivered, In any job that should mean only 1 thing.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 11 Dec 2012 07:50

Who Moved The Goalposts?
paultheroyal All I will say In this whole debacle is careful what you wish for!

For what it's worth I am now looking to see a change at the top. 1/3 season gone and apart from 2 games, let's be honest our football has been woeful and there will not be a miracle Christmas cure to turn this season around. I want us to stay in the premier league and can only see that happening with a change and fresh ideas.

It's then a case of who? Who is available? Would we entertain someone like Hughes, Souness, Hoddle even Coppell for instance to try and steer this ship to safety on a six month contract?

If that then fails turn to Eamon Dolan and do it all over again the Reading way.

Sadly I agree.

When you look at that performance on Saturday, the biggest, most nagging question I have is "What the fook do they do in training all week". They can't pass, ball control is woeful and they seem to be backing off more than ever and losing shape in the process.

Whatever they do work on in training, it doesn't address any of the above! And that's the main gripe - all this bullshit we're fed after games about moving on and learning from the experience; we seem to be going backwards rather than making small, steady but noticeable improvements.

Whether he really has lost the players is hard to prove; no one really knows what's said behind the dressing room door, but the evidence that something isn't right is mounting.

We're going backwards because we've been Prozoned to death and every other team now goes into each game knowing exactly how to nullify us.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Dec 2012 08:15

Ideal
Big Ern To those arguing for nmore time, then it seems like kicking the can to put off the harsh reality that Brian is not up to the job. We all agree he is a great guy and has given his all fro the club, but he just does not appear up to it. He has had enought time and he hasn't delivered, In any job that should mean only 1 thing.

Is it your opinion that any manager on earth could possibly do better with this lot of turds?
I am just questioning your judgement here, if you have a keeper who causes 6 goals conceded for no reason, and a midfield hopefully out of its depth, could you possibly do better than our points tally?

If anything he is overachieving with the current squad, there is no way on earth anyone could get better results with this lot.
Well, maybe Warnock could motivate them more, but a more attacking-sexy-football type manager would cause us to lose 10-0 every single match.

McDermott was responsible for assembling this squad, did have some money and is also responsible now for team selection, tactics and motivation. He has not done very well since June!

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 11 Dec 2012 08:20

I was mildly amused with BMcD's comments over the weekend with reference to transfers in January, he is looking for players who have played at this level and know the league ???? we got a couple of those in the summer and he doesn't 'kin select them, instead he keeps turning out mostly the championship winning side out of loyalty, sod loyalty what are we in this league for to succeed or be canon fodder for the other 19 teams ? c'mon Brian man up and kick some bloody ass and prove you have the ability to get us out of this crap position your championship side has put us in.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 11 Dec 2012 08:40

howser I was mildly amused with BMcD's comments over the weekend with reference to transfers in January, he is looking for players who have played at this level and know the league ???? we got a couple of those in the summer and he doesn't 'kin select them, instead he keeps turning out mostly the championship winning side out of loyalty, sod loyalty what are we in this league for to succeed or be canon fodder for the other 19 teams ? c'mon Brian man up and kick some bloody ass and prove you have the ability to get us out of this crap position your championship side has put us in.

Agreed. And if you listen to the interview after the game, when on the odd occasion Dellor gives him the chance to answer his question without already having given him an answer, BMD is starting to talk in riddles.

3209 posts