How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

3209 posts
Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

by Plymouth_Royal » 12 Dec 2012 12:21

Everyone seems to be quite split on this one.

On one hand I agree that he has a poor squad to work with and can't do much about it, especially with injuries. We do not know how much or little he had to spend and his signings have not played well. However, on the other hand, this is why I think he should go.

He has been at the club for a long time in other capacities. He has seen the ups and downs of Coppells reign and had a big hand in the players he signed. So, why is it that we are making the same mistakes that we did 5 years ago? You would have thought he would have learned from then.

Our Style of football is clearly outdated and doesn't work. Wolves, Birmingham and Watford are other examples. A number of favourites that have played for too long in the starting 11. He has no plan B, which was another issue under Coppell. We also leave players who can offer another dimension to the team out for a number of weeks when the the game is screaming for something different.

I know he was worked miracles for this club and that will never be forgotten. But if we are going to continue to live in the past we will never go forward as a club. We made that mistake with Rodgers when a lot of you mocked his style and never gave him the chance. He ultimately got the sack. We then hire someone who was brought up and lived in the past success and look where we are now, still making the same mistakes of old.

New manager, fresh approach, moving forward.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Dec 2012 12:30

Royal Tezza I'm sorry Brian, but the talk of losing the dressing room is the final straw for me. It seems your position is untenable. Even the likes of Shorey and Tabb have been making negative noises in the press lately about style of play etc. I would much rather you walked because you recognise you've lost it rather than being sacked which would be cruel (and could only prolong the suffering of the club)

RT

Nothing particularly cruel about being sacked if they're obliged to give him a nice fat pay off. In fact, if I thought all was lost, I think I'd be tempted to make some seemingly irrational decisions to hasten the day!

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 12 Dec 2012 15:19

He needs to go ... if this was any other club via Ipswich with Paul Jewell he would of gone by now. AZ needs to come to a quick decision so if we are to replace him we can get a new manager in before January to assess the current squad.

Really don't see things majorly changing unless Mcd works a miracle in the transfer market. Even then though he would be trying to make players play the long ball.

If he is to save himself and our season he needs to bring in leaders to the middle of midfield and most importantly winners. Anyone even remotely similar to that of Scott Parker would go down really well.

But its a results based business if I were AZ I would want that extra money on offer this year so for me he has to go if our fortunes are to change at all.

RFCSPACE

The fans are turning

by RFCSPACE » 12 Dec 2012 15:22

A summary of the recent polls for whether or not Brian should be sacked:

under the tin

by under the tin » 12 Dec 2012 15:24

Ideal
Plymouth_Royal Our Style of football is clearly outdated and doesn't work.

No. There is nothing wrong with it. It worked fine last year.
The difference is simply that the level of opposition is stronger, while our players are the same.
If we had as good players as the other teams, we'd be overperforming compared to them, due to our style of play.

/\/\/\/\ Fully agree with this. An accurate appraisal.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 12 Dec 2012 15:30

Last year we gave away far too many chances and got away with it because Championship strikers were less clinical.

I said back then that we couldn't afford to give away so many chances and would be laced

What has surprised me is the fact that we HAVEN'T shipped a 5-0 defeat or worse

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Dec 2012 15:31

bracksroyal10 He needs to go ... if this was any other club via Ipswich with Paul Jewell he would of gone by now.

Bad example. Ipswich sacked Jewell a year l8r than they should've done.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Dec 2012 15:32

Plymouth_Royal I know he was worked miracles for this club and that will never be forgotten.

Wrong as it would be, I actually think that the longer we continue to spiral downwards out of control, and the more McDermott tells us 'we have never had it so good' after the latest appalling performance, the more likely that his miracles will be overshadowed and forgotten about.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The fans are turning

by akranes » 12 Dec 2012 15:37

omg i never knew it was this much these graphs are so unraveling

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 12 Dec 2012 15:38

The only thing we can hope for now with McD still in charge is that our form dramatically improves in the second half of the season as it has done for the last 3 seasons.

But this is a different league.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 12 Dec 2012 16:01

Pepe the Horseman
bracksroyal10 He needs to go ... if this was any other club via Ipswich with Paul Jewell he would of gone by now.

Bad example. Ipswich sacked Jewell a year l8r than they should've done.

Precisely my point with Mcdermott it will be months later than it should've been.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Dec 2012 16:16

good statistical analysis

Get Carter

by Get Carter » 12 Dec 2012 16:21

In today's Reading Post, there is an article which says the Pog has asked to see Anton to find out what is going on and McD has to resolve the situation with Guthrie - I would imagine both players are a little miffed at not being able to get into the current team, which looks well out of it's depth - five defeats on the bounce and counting.
Both players are flagship signings by Hammond/McD and the Pog is still the club's top scorer with 5 goals despite not starting since Fulham at the home and Roberts has scored 1 goal in the cup against Arsenal.
Tabby is doing his best, yet could not get into the team last year in the championship and Federici, when finally dropped, should not have been recalled IMHO.
I think I read that McD says the fans need a reality check!!
Anyway, there are parachute payments for teams who go into freefall.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 12 Dec 2012 16:21

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 12 Dec 2012 17:10

Does make you wonder what was offered to Guthrie and Pog to get them here. Clearly Bmc saw something in them and went after them, not with a bag of cash but maybe the assurance of first team football. As it turns out neither has set the world alight and have been dropped. Guthrie I have some sympathy for, I have to say I rated him as a player, although his actions yesterday weren't brilliant !
Don't really understand the negatives from Bmc about his style of play when he bought him in the first pace.
Pog has looked pretty awful at times and rightly so was dropped but now with this wanting a word with Anton is dies make you wonder what was offered.
Wether Bmc stays or goes is tricky. Has he reached the peak of his capabilities? Who knows but if he has then I think he should probably go. What's the point of staying and maybe getting promotion again next season only to have the same problem the year after? If Anton is gonna throw big money at it is Bmc the right bloke to spend it ( not overly impressed with his summer signings ?
I think what happens may well tell us more about Antons intentions than Brian's capabilities.
If Anton wants a new man then that new man will surely want decent money to spend. If the money isn't there then I suspect Brian stays........

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 12 Dec 2012 17:10

The Prisoner

troflgators... troflgators everywhere

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 12 Dec 2012 17:19

bracksroyal10 He needs to go ... if this was any other club via Ipswich with Paul Jewell he would of gone by now

Ipswich are certainly a club i'd look to emulate as my template for success.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 12 Dec 2012 17:21

Let's hope that BM doesn't morph into the current day Wenger...the man in denial

He's going to have to change the record on where we were one/two/three years ago .....it's where we are going that's most important...and that destination seems to be our normal stomping ground...no guarantee at all of a return ticket to Prem either...so club should be careful what they wish for ..

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 12 Dec 2012 17:32

If he is not gone by the arsenal game then I think he will be here for a while yet. There is no way we are expected to pick up points against the next 2 teams so I can't see the club sacking him because he couldn't win his next 2.

Champ kind

by Champ kind » 12 Dec 2012 17:56

surely BM wont leave/get the boot.....for starters he's the cheap option. he must be one of the lowest paid managers in the prem! can you see us splashing out on a new manager? i dont! for the money he's on i cant see someone else coming in and doing a better job than what he's doing already especially with the quality, or lack of it, we have. you know how tight we are with money!

3209 posts