Danny Guthrie - Refusing To Travel

464 posts
Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

Guthrie Apologises...

by Theroyalbox » 12 Dec 2012 22:11

http://bit.ly/Z0Rao2

Forgiven... Too me it seems all a load of bs in an attempt to win the fans back over... BUT we need arguably our best techniqually gifted player?

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Guthrie Apologises...

by Arnie_Pie » 12 Dec 2012 22:14

Did this actually need a new thread?

If you are wondering by the way, the answer is no.

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 12 Dec 2012 22:17

I love being at this club

No he doesn't.

DaveBanana

by DaveBanana » 12 Dec 2012 22:18

Online polls suggest new threads get 32% more views... I THINK I HAVE AN IDEA FOR OUR VERY OWN POLL GUYS!!!

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

Re: Danny Guthrie - Refusing To Travel

by urz13 » 12 Dec 2012 22:28

I've also heard that both Guthrie and the Pog will be flogged in January. I couldn't really care less about Guthrie but I will be slightly annoyed if the Pog leaves :x

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 12 Dec 2012 22:30

melonhead
RoyallyFcuked Yes Guthrie has acted like a bit of a twat (and I dont think he anything particularly special as a player), but fair play to him for not wanting to play the shit style of football that McD is still forcing on everyone. Blinded by the fact it worked for us last year, but Guthrie can see it wont work in the PL and he has more experience at this level than McD (LOL)

fair play to him my arse

and who do you/he think he is pep guardiola?
hes a thick as pigshit footballer.

No not at all, I was referring to Guthrie and McDs fall out in general. I agree it was wrong of him to refuse to travel but at the same time, if he wasnt going to play (which he probably wasnt) then it helps him prove his point. If he is involved in the next game then you could say it worked. McD needs to sit down with Guthrie and sort the problem out, because he needs to take Leigertwood's place in the starting 11 ASAP.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 12 Dec 2012 22:39

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 12 Dec 2012 23:27

Much too little, far too late for me. He's proven himself to not be a team player, not to have his mind on the job, and when he's played, not to be up to the job.

McDermott is right on this - we're better off having a shit player, who's a team player, than a technically gifted, individual, in the team. We all know Leigertwood is not up to the job at the moment. But if your boss tells you he's the one he wants in that position, you shut up, get on with it, work harder and make sure he sees the effort going on. If he continues to feel you haven't done enough, you shut up, get on with it, and work harder still. You do NOT throw your toys out of the pram.

He's meant to be a professional footballer (although the use of the word professional in the same sentence as him is oxf*rd laughable) - if the boss tells you that he wants you available and starting on the bench, you shut up, do what you're told, hope to get your chance, and shine when the opportunity presents itself.

Regardless of any of the details of this, Guthrie is a destructive force, who has the capability to destroy the confidence and the attention of the team. Right now, I'd rather go down, happy that I respect each of our players as a professional in what they do, than stay up with that tosser in the team.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Dec 2012 00:17

Absolutely this deserves a new thread because it's a big deal.

ItA not enough of an apology for me and in fact what he did was so awful I don't think there's anything short of an incredibly good explanation (like a real tragedy occurring that night) that can make me like or trust him.

HOWEVER we have bigger fish to fry than some overpaid kid. We need to try and stay up. The best/ONLY thing he can do now is STFU, keep a low profile and work his socks off to get into top form, get into the team on merit and hep us out of this. That for me would speak volumes and would show that he's grown up. We've all been young and stupid at some point.

Mills turned things round after being an idiot. Kebe turned things around after being out of form for too long. Cummings turned things around after being dreadful. All by just working hard and producing the goods. No hard feelings with Guthrie as long as he plays his part now when the club needs him.

My gut feeling though is that he won't do that any time soon and as far as I'm concerned needs to leave ASAP, but I hope I'm wrong.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 13 Dec 2012 07:38

Did Guthrie have a choice whether or not to apologise? The fact he has is rightly acknowledged. Time will tell which way his career will go and one of two things will happen:

1. He leaves in January
2. He stays and buys into the Reading Way

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 13 Dec 2012 08:01

Terminal Boardom Did Guthrie have a choice whether or not to apologise? The fact he has is rightly acknowledged. Time will tell which way his career will go and one of two things will happen:

1. He leaves in January
2. He stays and buys into the Reading Way

He'd be better off with 1. Our way is shit.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 13 Dec 2012 08:41

He still won't be selected on Monday... :roll:

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 13 Dec 2012 08:44

Turns8 He still won't be selected on Monday... :roll:

And should he leave in January, it will probably be for a nominal fee, go to the likes of Wigan or Fulham, then show what he can do and be successful. And if that happens, BMcD must take the blame along with Hammond.

Looking forward to the season's DVD already. The title?

The Reading Way or How Not to Survive in the Premier League

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 13 Dec 2012 08:59

biscuitman
I love being at this club

No he doesn't.

Let him follow the Matt Mills career path the arrogant fukker.

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 13 Dec 2012 09:10

His mrs is heavily pregnant. I think he didn't travel due to something happening regarding that. which is fair enough in my opinion. You all wanted an apology and now he's given one and for you its not good enough.

He has apologised, let's move on now.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 13 Dec 2012 09:22

The biggest thing for me with this whole Guthrie saga is that all season we have been missing someone in midfield who can hold the ball up and retain possession, which is exactly what Guthrie can do when played in the right position.

However, it seems that McD from day one has told Guthrie that he needs to play in another way ie. behind the lone striker etc...Liverpool away was a case in point...Guthrie hardly got a touch all game as he was too far upfield and Liverpool were on top of our back four for most of the game...once Jem got injured it was screaming out for Guthrie to be moved deeper...and be the one to collect the ball off the back four and look to advance with the ball on the floor...instead all we get is the same ol' Reading way of lumping it forward because 'it worked so well last season!' :roll:

All the games where we have conceded late on etc...would also be games where you need someone in midfield to have the confidence to hold the ball and pick a pass...yet McD seems so blinkered to this and instead always looks to bring a winger or a striker and go for another goal!!! leaving us wide open for the counter attack and more likely to concede....

The better players often have egos, which the manager has to deal with...you sometimes have to accomodate them rather than enforce strict rules on them...eg take Berbatov...probably the biggest ego around yet Jol seems to be getting the best out of him by playing him in his preferred position...with the money we are paying per week for Guthrie he should be playing and it should be down to McD to realise his best position and play him there...if he then has a few dodgy games then you have every right to drop him. The current situation is quite frankly a farce with each of them being as bad as the other...it's all abit juvenile and 'he said this, so I'm saying that' etc...

A good manager would be able to handle this situation...until this is the case then unfortunately, we will not be able to survive at the top level...that is the simple fact of the matter...to play in the top division you need quality and that is something we lack big time...

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 13 Dec 2012 09:25

moonwalklikebas His mrs is heavily pregnant. I think he didn't travel due to something happening regarding that. which is fair enough in my opinion. You all wanted an apology and now he's given one and for you its not good enough.

If this is true then McD is a complete c0ck for bringing the issue up and making out that Guthrie didn't travel because his 'head wasn't right', when he could have easily said it was due to family reasons...

Just highlights even more that the issue is a personal one between McD and Guthrie...what a joke! :roll:

SmellyAli

by SmellyAli » 13 Dec 2012 09:26

Never forgive, never forget. Let your hatred fester inside you until Monday night and then join me in burning effigies of Guthrie outside the East Stand. Anybody who disagrees is clearly not as much of a fan as me. #weloveyoubrianwedo

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 13 Dec 2012 10:00

So when a team is bashing out the same old tactics, with the same old faces, hoofing the ball longer and longer, losing game after game following a lack of investment pre-season, the answer is - sell the few players you did manage to bring in.

Can't wait to see what is next on Brian's To Do list.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Dec 2012 10:05

moonwalklikebas His mrs is heavily pregnant. I think he didn't travel due to something happening regarding that. which is fair enough in my opinion. You all wanted an apology and now he's given one and for you its not good enough.

If this is true he needed to say that was the case, it worked for gareth Bale. As he didn't say this then frankly it's bollocks

464 posts