How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

3209 posts
maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

by maffff » 14 Dec 2012 13:44

The Beardy Man Are our current youngsters being brought up to play in any kind of a noticeable style?

The under 21's when Angus MacDonald was there was very much hoooooooooooof, hit and hope. Like a young Matt Mills - when he was out on loan the squad seemed to be a lot more free flowing. Up front we have the likes of Tanner and Samuel both of whom like the ball to feet.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Dec 2012 15:08

Extended-Phenotype I don't want Brian to go, I want Brian to change.

If he won't change, then I do want him to go.

I used to feel as you did i.e. didn't want Brian to go but did want him to change.

Sadly I think it is now far too late for him to change. There are increasingly strong signs (Pog's desire to talk to Anton being the latest) that Brian has lost the dressing room. Once that happens any manager is toast. The club need to recognise this and act.

Even Nicky Forster (who is an experienced and very bright guy) tweeted
I'm not having that Guthrie refuses to play last night for Reading ! There is more to this story than we know at present !

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Dec 2012 15:45

RoyalBlue

I used to feel as you did i.e. didn't want Brian to go but did want him to change.

Sadly I think it is now far too late for him to change. There are increasingly strong signs (Pog's desire to talk to Anton being the latest) that Brian has lost the dressing room. Once that happens any manager is toast. The club need to recognise this and act.

I'm not having that Guthrie refuses to play last night for Reading ! There is more to this story than we know at present !

LOL. There's always more to it than a simple statement but given that Guthrie has come out himself and said he refused to travel because his "head wasn't right" then I'd say that it's safe to assume he refused to travel. The reasons for his head not being right are open to debate of course but the fact he refused to travel isn't unless you're an outsider who doesn't know the facts or a serial conspiracy theorist.

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 14 Dec 2012 15:56

maffff
The Beardy Man Are our current youngsters being brought up to play in any kind of a noticeable style?

The under 21's when Angus MacDonald was there was very much hoooooooooooof, hit and hope. Like a young Matt Mills - when he was out on loan the squad seemed to be a lot more free flowing. Up front we have the likes of Tanner and Samuel both of whom like the ball to feet.

That's interesting, cheers Maffff.

Seems a shame that MacDonald is not progressing exactly as once seemed hoped. I seem to remember he was a highly thought of Emgland u16 player (or is that my imagination?). He doesn't appear to have been able to really push on in any of his recent loan spells, though I guess as a centre back could be a late developer physically.

Good to know that a number of the youngsters seem to have been brought up to move the ball on the deck from the sounds of it.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Dec 2012 16:28

Vision
RoyalBlue

LOL. There's always more to it than a simple statement but given that Guthrie has come out himself and said he refused to travel because his "head wasn't right" then I'd say that it's safe to assume he refused to travel. The reasons for his head not being right are open to debate of course but the fact he refused to travel isn't unless you're an outsider who doesn't know the facts or a serial conspiracy theorist.

Or it could be that as an excellent and model professional footballer in his time, a former RFC employee of longstanding (probably still with contacts at the club) and now a manager himself (IIRC), he knows far more about what goes on behind the scenes than either of us and has a pretty damn strong feeling that blame is certainly not a one way street in this particular saga.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 14 Dec 2012 23:52

We didn't spend enough! Reading boss McDermott bemoans lack of summer spree

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... witterfeed

Reading owner Anton Zingarevich did not invest enough in the summer, according to manager Brian McDermott.

The Russian took over the club in May and had the summer to provide funds to prepare them for a return to the Premier League for the first time in four season. But McDermott only spent £5million on defenders Adrian Mariappa and Chris Gunter who both cost £2.5m.

The 51-year-old also took on five players signed for free – including Danny Guthrie and Pavel Pogrebnyak on big wages.

But following Reading's dire start to the season, with only one win in the league and sitting second-from-bottom, six points from safety, McDermott is unsure if they spent enough.

He said: 'In the summer time we didn't really invest, possibly we should have done more. We have to find available players that have played and know the level. It's really important. January's coming so we'll see what happens. We've always had a sensible approach to transfers, never spent money particularly.'

Only 17 days before the January transfer window opens the Reading boss is still unsure of the budget he has to spend.

He is seeking talks with Zingarevich when he is next in the country to discuss plans to improve the squad but admitted there are many factors that will make it difficult to get the players they need.

He added: 'January is never an easy window but I'm going to have a conversation with the owner when he comes across, see where we are, and see who we can get from who's available. My feeling is if you can find two or three players with Premier League experience I think we need to do that. But they're never cheap.

'Whether you can get them is a different story. We're in a situation where we're down where we are.
'

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 15 Dec 2012 00:04

He says in this article that he should have done more buying in the summer but contradicts that from his article below..??

Reading boss Brian McDermott says this summer's signings are all his.

McDermott hasn’t been short of agents contacting him offering their clients’ services since promotion to the Premier League and Anton Zingarevich’s £25million buyout either.

“I’ve had a lot of agents in touch, loads even,” said McDermott to Getreading.

“But each and every player that I have got have all been targets of mine. All the players I went for, I got. Anyone I didn’t want I didn’t go for.”

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 15 Dec 2012 00:10

We knew he was bullshitting when he said that though. He always tries to make the group feel important, which is only right, but too many on here take his every word as gospel.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 15 Dec 2012 00:20

I'm sure I have seen quotes along the lines of "Me and Anton talk all the time" and SJM saying "Brian and Anton get on really well". This might have been the case on the lead up to promotion but you kind of get the feeling Brian has been left to his own accord since the start of the season.

Nowhere in that Daily Mail article does Brian accuse Anton of not investing enough in the summer. :|

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 15 Dec 2012 06:07

SPARTA We didn't spend enough! Reading boss McDermott bemoans lack of summer spree

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... witterfeed

Reading owner Anton Zingarevich did not invest enough in the summer, according to manager Brian McDermott.

The Russian took over the club in May and had the summer to provide funds to prepare them for a return to the Premier League for the first time in four season. But McDermott only spent £5million on defenders Adrian Mariappa and Chris Gunter who both cost £2.5m.

The 51-year-old also took on five players signed for free – including Danny Guthrie and Pavel Pogrebnyak on big wages.

But following Reading's dire start to the season, with only one win in the league and sitting second-from-bottom, six points from safety, McDermott is unsure if they spent enough.

He said: 'In the summer time we didn't really invest, possibly we should have done more. We have to find available players that have played and know the level. It's really important. January's coming so we'll see what happens. We've always had a sensible approach to transfers, never spent money particularly.'

Only 17 days before the January transfer window opens the Reading boss is still unsure of the budget he has to spend.

He is seeking talks with Zingarevich when he is next in the country to discuss plans to improve the squad but admitted there are many factors that will make it difficult to get the players they need.

He added: 'January is never an easy window but I'm going to have a conversation with the owner when he comes across, see where we are, and see who we can get from who's available. My feeling is if you can find two or three players with Premier League experience I think we need to do that. But they're never cheap.

'Whether you can get them is a different story. We're in a situation where we're down where we are.
'

Sounds like he is already getting the excuses in.

Comments like these are hardly going to endear him to our Russian overlord, however he probably thinks he has nothing to lose at this point. Next 2 games are certain defeats, only a couple of managers in the PL could survive that run of results.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 15 Dec 2012 13:00

He's saying that, in hindsight, we possibly didn't invest enough. What's the issue?

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 15 Dec 2012 13:12

Now that Brian has questioned our lack of investment in the Summer, I fully expect Brendy, Monstermunch and chums to tell him to fuck off and manage Chelsea.......

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 15 Dec 2012 13:17

Avon Royal Now that Brian has questioned our lack of investment in the Summer, I fully expect Brendy, Monstermunch and chums to tell him to fuck off and manage Chelsea.......

Afternoon Avon :wink:

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 15 Dec 2012 13:19

The $64000 question is what was Brian given I suppose?

If he didn't spend all of his budget then in hindsight that was a mistake.

Sir Dodger Royal
Location: Cyberspace - pulling the strings. You know it makes sense.

by Sir Dodger Royal » 15 Dec 2012 13:54

No doubt he will be sacked too late for any replacement to make a difference. Probably promote Gibbo or give it to Eamonn Dolan. Basically the cheap 'Reading Way' option. Won't make any difference. RFC need to act after the Arsenal/Manchester City defeats. However they then can't spend two months looking for a replacement. However we are talking about RFC who will talk the normal bo**ocks until they find a cheap option who is a YES man and doesn't want to spend any dosh.
Hopelesssssss

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Dec 2012 14:02

10 years of hopelesssssss failure.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 15 Dec 2012 14:09

Sir Dodger Royal No doubt he will be sacked too late for any replacement to make a difference. Probably promote Gibbo or give it to Eamonn Dolan. Basically the cheap 'Reading Way' option. Won't make any difference. RFC need to act after the Arsenal/Manchester City defeats. However they then can't spend two months looking for a replacement. However we are talking about RFC who will talk the normal bo**ocks until they find a cheap option who is a YES man and doesn't want to spend any dosh.
Hopelesssssss

The Reading way ended as we know it when AZ took over. We're paying wages, signing on fees, and agent fees we would never have paid for under SJM's ownership.

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 15 Dec 2012 14:56

Chairman - - 49% - SJM

Manager - Never sacked, until Mad Stad freezes over in 2500 foot of Ice.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 15 Dec 2012 15:00

Vic_Flange Chairman - - 49% - SJM

And why would you think that ? SJM has never been shy at sacking managers

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 15 Dec 2012 15:09

72 bus
Vic_Flange Chairman - - 49% - SJM

And why would you think that ? SJM has never been shy at sacking managers

He likes to live by a "Gentlemans handshake" and his sackings have the same timing quality and hilarity as Brians subsitutions

3209 posts