Danny Guthrie - Refusing To Travel

464 posts
Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Danny Guthrie - Refusing To Travel

by Extended-Phenotype » 14 Dec 2012 12:06

Maguire
Extended-Phenotype LOLCOP runs in from another room - far quicker than I guessed.

Seriously, what is it that I did to ya that has had you stalking me like a bitter asshole from day one? Must have been something serious. Perhaps someone laughed at what I posted or something.

That's some weak shit right there m8. You might try throwing a few swearwords in, I hear that's hilarious.

It's not material, mate. It's genuine. Trying to work out what it was...

Seem to recall it was around day 1; I posted a joke, a few people had LOL'd, and then you popped up sobbing and telling everyone I wasn't funny. Or that time you broke down because someone said they liked my graph?! :lol:

All I did was make a cheap crack. Like I always do. Wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes. But that's what people with low self-esteem think, I guess.

Precious, precious internet.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 14 Dec 2012 12:24

Fukk me you've completely made that up :lol: Let's walk you through it, assuming your memory fail isn't deliberate.

It was me who loled at your graph (go on, stroke yourself off over that). It was funny, and I dropped you a PM to say so.
You said you'd prefer me to post it on the board rather than via PM. I thought that a bit weird but put it down to some deep-seated desire for public praise. Anyway, i didn't.

You then went onto AE and posted on THREE separate occasions (that I saw, maybe they were more) that Maguire had sent you a PM saying one of your posts was funny. "Fukk me", thought I, "this bloke *really* wants people to like him".

Never one to turn down an opportunity to dig someone out, I poked this obvious weakness by replying to two of your posts (just two, that's all it took) saying something along the lines of "yeah that was ok" or "hmm, 6/10 maybe". Right on cue you exploded and posted your giganti-post swearing your head off at me.

"Well that was easier than expected", thought I, and went on my merry way.

And here we are. Hope this adds a bit of clarity for you, and that you understand why I might have a little dig at you every now and again given you're pretty good value on the angry replies per post front.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 14 Dec 2012 12:29

"He [Guthrie] asked me if he could speak to the entire group before training. It took a lot of courage for him to do that and he deserves respect for his reaction," McDermott.

As I said earlier a little moral-fibre could save us from disaster. Promising development.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 14 Dec 2012 12:30

Oh yeah back on track, obviously I hope Guthrie sorts himself out, gets fit, and helps keep us up.

Even if he is a tit.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 14 Dec 2012 12:37

Maguire Fukk me you've completely made that up :lol: Let's walk you through it, assuming your memory fail isn't deliberate.

It was me who loled at your graph (go on, stroke yourself off over that). It was funny, and I dropped you a PM to say so.
You said you'd prefer me to post it on the board rather than via PM. I thought that a bit weird but put it down to some deep-seated desire for public praise. Anyway, i didn't.

You then went onto AE and posted on THREE separate occasions (that I saw, maybe they were more) that Maguire had sent you a PM saying one of your posts was funny. "Fukk me", thought I, "this bloke *really* wants people to like him".

Never one to turn down an opportunity to dig someone out, I poked this obvious weakness by replying to two of your posts (just two, that's all it took) saying something along the lines of "yeah that was ok" or "hmm, 6/10 maybe". Right on cue you exploded and posted your giganti-post swearing your head off at me.

And here we are. Hope this adds a bit of clarity for you, and that you understand why I might have a little dig at you every now and again given you're pretty good value on the angry replies per post front.

Jesus, that really is utter bullshit mate. Not really keen in having a lovers tiff in public, but can't really let you get away with that.

Firstly, you did compliment me (in private!!) for a diagram about racism; but prior to that you got huffy because people had mentioned my graphs on another thread. Pretend otherwise, but I can dig it out (if it's really that important?).

Secondly I replied to your PM with:

"Ta bud, I appreciate your appreciation, even if you don't feel ready to do it in public yet! :wink:"

...as a joke. The rest, you've made up which is quite sad. Quite an explosion of bitterness towards what was no more than harmless comment.

I don’t think anything. I don’t try hard. I just write some shit into a box to pass the time at work, raise a couple of grins, stir up a debate or stick up for something I believe in. I know it’s not for everyone but some seem to get the joke and gathering by quite a few mentions in those kinda cringey ‘Popularity Polls’ that spring up from time to time, it would appear I’m not totally clueless.

You don’t dig it. Fair enough. You aren't alone. I know. But you really don’t have to run around prefixing everything I say with a sweaty red cross because you don’t have the self-esteem to cope with me getting the odd nod.

I promise I’m not here to steal the internet from you.

Have a good xmas.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Dec 2012 12:39

Wot, no jokes?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 14 Dec 2012 12:51

lol, do you think if you just repeat something ad nauseum it makes it true? :lol:

You're right, I really hate it when people make me laugh on the internet :|

You'll forgive me if I don't continue this on here - it's both tedious and not the place for it - but everything in my previous email is true. I dug you out, you bit hard, that's the end of that.

Have a hilarious Xmas

x

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 14 Dec 2012 12:53

Maguire Fukk me you've completely made that up :lol: Let's walk you through it, assuming your memory fail isn't deliberate.

You two should get a room and sweat it out. Seriously though, you PM'd him to tell him he made you laugh? That's a tad homoerotic.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 14 Dec 2012 12:56

SPARTA

You two should get a room and sweat it out. Seriously though, you PM'd him to tell him he made you laugh? That's a tad homoerotic.

I do like cock, what of it?

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 14 Dec 2012 13:41

MmmMonsterMunch Southbank - he was the same when he used to post on 606. Every post has to be some 'look at me' anecdote or quip.

He's the only 606 member I can still remember, precisely for that reason. What a c*nt.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 14 Dec 2012 14:04

He was hit and miss back then too.

Some of his shit was funny, some really not.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 14 Dec 2012 14:17

in the season of goodwill it breaks my heart to see fellow Reading fans going at each other hammer and tongs like this.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 14 Dec 2012 14:17

MouldyRoyal He was hit and miss back then too.

Some of his shit was funny, some really not.

Still puts him a long way ahead of just about every other TB regular

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 14 Dec 2012 14:27

leon in the season of goodwill it breaks my heart to see fellow Reading fans going at each other hammer and tongs like this.

I'd like to go at you hammer and tongs :!:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 14 Dec 2012 14:39

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 14 Dec 2012 14:52

Maguire
leon in the season of goodwill it breaks my heart to see fellow Reading fans going at each other hammer and tongs like this.

I'd like to go at you hammer and tongs :!:

understandable, you have a pulse afterall

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Dec 2012 16:31

I've stayed away from this for the last couple of days, but I still think, like a decent proportion of those who've posted, that McDermott has to carry a certain amount of blame for the way this has developed. He's not got the best out of Guthrie and his place in the squad still looks a bit of an oddity with the way we and he play.

I'm not sure I can forgive and forget the way a player has let the club down whatever the circumstances but, something that entered my thinking that I don't think has been mentioned is what if his state of mind really wasn't suitable for playing and being the Guthrie that the team needed? Dirk alluded to him already being switched off from the team and at this level I don't think you can be a useful player if you're not committed. Perhaps he really did think he would be better off staying away? Perhaps he felt that might be what McDermott thought with the way he's treated him recently and his comment about him not being fit enough to come off the bench at St Mary's.

The other thing is that there's been a lot of talk ove the last few years about mental health in sport and the effects of depression that can often go unnoticed in football and brushed under the carpet. Now anyone who's had kids will know that it can be a stressful time dealing with a pregnant wife and waiting for your world to be turned upside down. Add that to relocating down south, not playing amazingly well, having a fall out with your new boss, getting an injury that stops you doing the one thing that makes you feel worth something for 4 weeks at a time when it looks like your club really needs you and perhaps there's a strong case for Guthrie having a bit of a tough time mentally.

It doesn't matter how much you're paid, we've seen and heard over the last few years how depression can hit these young men in a highly pressured environment. Perhaps, and I'm not sure I quite buy this myself yet, he deserves and needs a bit of support from his manager and teammates to get his head right and it wasn't just a petulant F**k You I'm not playing that made him miss Tuesdays game.

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 14 Dec 2012 16:45

Hoop Blah I've stayed away from this for the last couple of days, but I still think, like a decent proportion of those who've posted, that McDermott has to carry a certain amount of blame for the way this has developed. He's not got the best out of Guthrie and his place in the squad still looks a bit of an oddity with the way we and he play.

I'm not sure I can forgive and forget the way a player has let the club down whatever the circumstances but, something that entered my thinking that I don't think has been mentioned is what if his state of mind really wasn't suitable for playing and being the Guthrie that the team needed? Dirk alluded to him already being switched off from the team and at this level I don't think you can be a useful player if you're not committed. Perhaps he really did think he would be better off staying away? Perhaps he felt that might be what McDermott thought with the way he's treated him recently and his comment about him not being fit enough to come off the bench at St Mary's.

The other thing is that there's been a lot of talk ove the last few years about mental health in sport and the effects of depression that can often go unnoticed in football and brushed under the carpet. Now anyone who's had kids will know that it can be a stressful time dealing with a pregnant wife and waiting for your world to be turned upside down. Add that to relocating down south, not playing amazingly well, having a fall out with your new boss, getting an injury that stops you doing the one thing that makes you feel worth something for 4 weeks at a time when it looks like your club really needs you and perhaps there's a strong case for Guthrie having a bit of a tough time mentally.

It doesn't matter how much you're paid, we've seen and heard over the last few years how depression can hit these young men in a highly pressured environment. Perhaps, and I'm not sure I quite buy this myself yet, he deserves and needs a bit of support from his manager and teammates to get his head right and it wasn't just a petulant F**k You I'm not playing that made him miss Tuesdays game.

That's an interesting take on it, certainly one I hadn't really considered. Good post.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Dec 2012 17:35

glenroyal "He [Guthrie] asked me if he could speak to the entire group before training. It took a lot of courage for him to do that and he deserves respect for his reaction," McDermott.

As I said earlier a little moral-fibre could save us from disaster. Promising development.

sounds good.

well done guthrie, and brian for his reaction to it

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Dec 2012 17:56

melonhead
Ian Royal
melonhead
he played badly in those two games.and was dropped
up to the manager.
and tbf, hed hardly played like maradonna in the other two

And Leigertwood has played badly in about 10. If not 16.

Guthrie's acted like a fukwit, but Brian's utterly inept management this season has sparked it. I'd be more inclined to support McDermott if he'd done anything this season to show any degree of competence.

what like, taking us from the bottom of the championship to almost a play off spot in one season
getting to a play off final in the next
and winning the championship the one after that?
while losing his best players every year?
:roll:

ledge has had a few very bad games, but has been undroppable only due to no other options. as soon as the other option is approaching fitness again he blows it by acting like a twat

Try reading, you druggled addled loon.

There are other options. There's Guthrie. And before Karacan got injured there was Tabb. There's also your second favourite player Gunnarsson. And if that wasn't enough then he bloody should have signed someone else as well. The point is you can't be happy that Guthrie did enough to be dropped when he had two bad games in a team having bad games when Leigertwood has had more terrible games and been consistently worse.

And you're taking the injury as gospel. Under the circumstances its a pretty convenient excuse. And he was only ever supposed to have had a dead leg or a strained thigh or something. Hardly a major fitness issue. It's not like other players haven't come back in quicker.

464 posts