Relegation the Reading Way

542 posts
Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Do we have what it takes to maintain premiership footbal

by Archie's penalty » 15 Dec 2012 19:46

bobbybottler
Archie's penalty I also don't think we should throw money around in order to stay up. I'm already looking forward to the championship in August.

I agree. The squad looks too thin in too many areas to justify spending the many millions which wouldn't keep us up anyway.

I'm looking forward to McDermott still being there in August as well.

I've been angry at McD recently, I hope he ups his game but I'd reluctantly agree that he should stay and be with us in August.

redscot

by redscot » 15 Dec 2012 19:50

Maybe it is right for him to go and let someone else try their hands. If it fails then he could always come back. Might do him good. (Unless some other championship side take him....)

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 15 Dec 2012 19:51

Norwich?
Wigan?
Swansea?
QPR?
Southampton?
Fulham?
West Brom?

If they have the budget, then why can't we?

ROFLeading Way

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 15 Dec 2012 19:56

Archie's penalty
bobbybottler
Archie's penalty I also don't think we should throw money around in order to stay up. I'm already looking forward to the championship in August.

I agree. The squad looks too thin in too many areas to justify spending the many millions which wouldn't keep us up anyway.

I'm looking forward to McDermott still being there in August as well.

I've been angry at McD recently, I hope he ups his game but I'd reluctantly agree that he should stay and be with us in August.

I haven't been angry at all.

I think though that he, along with the rest of the club and supporters including almost everyone on here, has been guilty of spectacular naivety about the level of talent needed to play / stay at this level.

I'm not going to fault the level of desire, commitment (in general), or effort made so far, I don't (with a few Guthrie obvious exceptions) think that they could have given much more, but as a squad they (we) aren't good enough to stay up and aren't going to.

jellytot

by jellytot » 15 Dec 2012 20:07

No

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 15 Dec 2012 20:11

Great post Bobby. Could we have done anything different in the summer to prepare?

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 15 Dec 2012 20:39

Archie's penalty Great post Bobby.

All of my posts are top class, and I don't need the likes of you pointing it out.

Archie's penalty Could we have done anything different in the summer to prepare?

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 15 Dec 2012 20:49

Norwich? - Additional seasons in the Premier League. Bigger club than us. = More budget
Wigan? - Somehow, additional seasons in the Premier League = More budget
Swansea? - Additional season in the Premier League + Built on SERIOUSLY solid footballing foundations = More budget + better starting point.
QPR? - Massively bankrolled by that tosser Fernandez - Tin Pot, and gambling with their future + Additional Premier League Seasons = More budget
Southampton? - Bigger club than us, desperate to stay = More budget. An absolute prime example that money buys oxf*rd all.
Fulham? - 11 years in the Premier League (so rough income of £300million over and above us!) = More budget
West Brom? - Additional seasons in the Premier League = More budget.

It's not that hard really....

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 15 Dec 2012 21:19

Infrastructure - maybe

Ambition - we are trying to run an Aston Martin on a Yugo budget

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 15 Dec 2012 21:33

Archie's penalty Do we have what it takes to maintain premiership football?

Spud Gun
Location: I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you ...

by Spud Gun » 15 Dec 2012 21:36

SPARTA

Why is there a tackle button? Surely it should be "back off player until the edge of the box and then let him shoot or run by"! :wink:

Divvy

by Divvy » 15 Dec 2012 21:40

SPARTA

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 15 Dec 2012 21:41

Spud Gun
SPARTA

Why is there a tackle button? Surely it should be "back off player until the edge of the box and then let him shoot or run by"! :wink:

Very good. :lol:

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 15 Dec 2012 21:46

SPARTA

:lol:

I was hoping after 6 weeks away in Oz and away from any telly, radio or internet that things would have improved for us, but 20 mins of reading on here has kicked the christmas spirit out of me. :cry:

I can understand sticking with Brian, but try something new? 5-3-2, 4-3-3, 3-5-2.. just not stick with the same set-up we know that is failing us is so frustrating.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Dec 2012 23:39

bobbybottler
Archie's penalty Great post Bobby.

All of my posts are top class, and I don't need the likes of you pointing it out.

Archie's penalty Could we have done anything different in the summer to prepare?

bobby, you're coming across as quite the cunt

No Fixed Abode

Re: Relegation the Reading Way

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Dec 2012 16:19

Only 2 teams in Prem history have survived the drop with getting 9 points from 16 games.

jellytot

evening post article on transfers

by jellytot » 17 Dec 2012 16:53

Brian admits that they 'probably' should have spent more in the summer! What an understatement.
In late December and after a pathetic 9 points collected and countless goals conceeded!

Even if we wanted to spend in Jan we cannot because we are well adrift. We should have signed 2 more in the summer or bought in less staff for more quality.

The season has been completely mismanaged by the club.

Countless supporters had hoped we had learnt from the last season in the pl. We needed to buy quality and yet we are doing the same again. This time the result has been worse. Last time we were
competitive and had a chance of staying up all season. Not this time sadly.

Lovely hot donuts!
Location: Lower Earley and/or Birmingham. Feckless student. Twitter: @RussellLParker

Re: evening post article on transfers

by Lovely hot donuts! » 17 Dec 2012 17:03

jellytot Brian admits that they 'probably' should have spent more in the summer! What an understatement.
In late December and after a pathetic 9 points collected and countless goals conceeded!

Even if we wanted to spend in Jan we cannot because we are well adrift. We should have signed 2 more in the summer or bought in less staff for more quality.

The season has been completely mismanaged by the club.

Countless supporters had hoped we had learnt from the last season in the pl. We needed to buy quality and yet we are doing the same again. This time the result has been worse. Last time we were
competitive and had a chance of staying up all season. Not this time sadly.

oxf*rd off

There is no direct proportionality between money spent and points gained. otherwise Southampton & QPR would be at least mid-table whilst Stoke and Everton would be near the bottom!
The main reason we've done shit is because the players we do have, have performed well below what they did last year in the championship!
At the end of the day we brought in Danny Guthrie & Pavel Porgrebnyak on the big money and that's turned to shit! Why would more players of that ilk not also turn to shit??

Mr.T10

Re: evening post article on transfers

by Mr.T10 » 17 Dec 2012 17:06

To be fair, I would rather him say that than...

We don't need to strengthen or we are good enough. Both ridiculous statements for any manger to say at an extent.

You should always be aiming to improve.

I think our problem this season has been more selection and tactics than *cross out buying the right people* more expensive but shown by Norwich and Swansea you don’t need to spend 10 million+ to be doing well.

Not having or selecting our best 11 is a major disaster. Injuries don't help but even when they were fit it was too late or just don't/didn't get selected.

To be honest if we brought in a CAM who was attacking like a Gylfi or a Ramirez and a CDM who would just sit behind the defence like a Diame or Tetley than we would be doing a lot better. Well if McDermott is going by what he has done he still wouldn't play them.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Relegation the Reading Way

by floyd__streete » 17 Dec 2012 17:34

No Fixed Abode Only 2 teams in Prem history have survived the drop with getting 9 points from 16 games.

Gr8 grammar m8.

542 posts