Jason Roberts on 606 tonight

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Jason Roberts on 606 tonight

by RoyalBlue » 15 Dec 2012 19:38

MmmMonsterMunch Didn't he say we're not thinking about relegation too?

Hmm.....

Maybe that's why we are where we are. Get a copy of the table printed off and stuck everywhere around the training ground and the Mad Stad - hopefully it will wake a few people, on and off the pitch, up to reality!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 15 Dec 2012 19:43

SPARTA
MmmMonsterMunch
SPARTA Someone please call him and ask why he goes on about being grateful for where he's come from and what he's got, but has turned into a kunt arguing with the manager at a time we need him to be a leader to the others? Cheers.

Sorry what? He is one of the few players that has shown a glimmer of PL class IMO. (This coming from someone who does find him a bit annoying to quote the other thread!)

How has he shown any PL class? He's been as poor as the next man. He backs into his marker, calls foul, doesn't get it and moans to the officials.

This ^^^^ completely.

murof

by murof » 17 Dec 2012 09:56

SPARTA
MmmMonsterMunch
SPARTA Someone please call him and ask why he goes on about being grateful for where he's come from and what he's got, but has turned into a kunt arguing with the manager at a time we need him to be a leader to the others? Cheers.

Sorry what? He is one of the few players that has shown a glimmer of PL class IMO. (This coming from someone who does find him a bit annoying to quote the other thread!)

How has he shown any PL class? He's been as poor as the next man. He backs into his marker, calls foul, doesn't get it and moans to the officials. Yes he's done one or two things right and shown a bit of class here and there but on the whole he's been a massive disappointment. His strongly rumoured outburst at McD after the Southampton defeat, and then subsequent 'hip injury'/punishment just add to the poor attitude he's showing at present.

Sparta's comments are spot on. For a player with so much premier league experience behind him, Jason Roberts has for me been the biggest disappointment of the team this year. If he just got off his highly paid backside and played football instead of having slanging matches with the referees about not getting free kicks, and maybe jumping for the odd ball here and there, we might get somewhere as a team.
My gut feeling is that he know this is his last season in the big league, so what's the point of giving his all for a team that's not likely to win anything anyway. Better just coast to the end of the season, avoid serious injuries and concentrate on his media work.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 17 Dec 2012 10:21

^^ in a nutshell. Good post.

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 17 Dec 2012 10:45

:|

Whilst disappointing in his last appearance, Roberts has been a loooong was from our worst player this season. In fact our (very slight) upturn in results coincided with his coming back into the starting 11. When he was unavailable in our last game we were utterly unable to retain possession in the opposition half.

He remains our best option to my mind.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Dec 2012 11:30

I'm no great fan of Roberts for all the reasons already stated (backing in, not jumping, moaning) but to say he is coasting is an insult. He has never been gifted but has always worked hard and made decent use of his relatively limited talents; I see no difference this season.

Throughout his career he would have been an excellent Championship player but not quite good enough to set the PL alight. At 34 years old the fact he's still doing what he does with his talent is the mark of a thoroughly good pro.

(He still irritates me though!) :mrgreen:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Dec 2012 11:37

Royal Lady ^^ in a nutshell. Good post.

Not enough :| in the world.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Dec 2012 11:38

MmmMonsterMunch Didn't he say we're not thinking about relegation too?

Hmm.....

Yep, maybe the players should all think like the belmonts on here and just jack it all in for the rest of the year?

Idiots

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 17 Dec 2012 11:39

He's not an idiot. He's feeding off complete scraps at the moment and knows that getting under opponents skin, backing in and trying to get free kicks is about our only chance of causing the opposition problems.

To suggest he's not giving it his all and isn't focused is complete nonsense. He's not the player he was but he's making about as good a fist of things as he can given what he's got to work with.

murof

by murof » 17 Dec 2012 12:08

Vision He's not an idiot. He's feeding off complete scraps at the moment and knows that getting under opponents skin, backing in and trying to get free kicks is about our only chance of causing the opposition problems.

If his tactics of backing in and trying to get free kicks was working, than it would be great. But its not working at all. Premier league refs aren't that stupid. All he's doing is making himself (and the rest of the team) look very stupid.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 17 Dec 2012 12:29

murof
Vision He's not an idiot. He's feeding off complete scraps at the moment and knows that getting under opponents skin, backing in and trying to get free kicks is about our only chance of causing the opposition problems.

If his tactics of backing in and trying to get free kicks was working, than it would be great. But its not working at all. Premier league refs aren't that stupid. All he's doing is making himself (and the rest of the team) look very stupid.

Unless we improve then set pieces are pretty much our only weapon. If he gets 1 in 3 given then it gives us a chance. I dont like it any more than you but I'm not sure theres much else Roberts can do under the circumstances.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 17 Dec 2012 12:30

murof

I think that is a fair point-his backing-in and Jobi's diving aren't getting us the free-kicks that appear to be the major part of Brian's strategy.
I don't like Roberts that much off the pitch as a football pundit but on the pitch I feel that he does work hard but just like the rest of the squad he lacks the ability needed at this level.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Dec 2012 12:56

Played one game less we have had 70 free kicks (13th position) compared with Man Utd's 75 (they are 7th)

QPR are on an amazing 105

Newcastle, Everton, Wigan are on 90 each, Chelsea 86, Swansea 82

So getting free kick's doesn't seem to correlate with much

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 17 Dec 2012 13:01

Snowball Played one game less we have had 70 free kicks (13th position) compared with Man Utd's 75 (they are 7th)

Our plan is to get them in the other half and I suppose you can't get that sophisticated a breakdown?
It also feels as though our goals come from set-pieces generally-is that actually so?

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 17 Dec 2012 13:06

murof If he just got off his highly paid backside and played football instead of having slanging matches with the referees about not getting free kicks
Brian McDermott claims one referee this season told him to his face that the team don't argue enough and that's why the decisions were not going their way.... maybe we need Roberts to voice his opinions if nobody else is doing so.

I'm not saying we should turn into Manchester United (although being awarded a penalty every other week would be nice), but clearly voicing opinions to the officials does influence things, one way or another.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 17 Dec 2012 13:07

Snowball Played one game less we have had 70 free kicks (13th position) compared with Man Utd's 75 (they are 7th)

Thats only relevant if it's free kicks in attacking areas. I'd say we're pretty high up on % of goals scored from set plays this season. We've had less possession that nearly every side this season yet up until a couple weeks ago only Man Utd had put more crosses into the box. It's our main source of threat hence why Shorey and Macanuff figure quite highly on the assists chart.

With reference to Roberts specifically it would be interesting to see how many free kicks he's actually won himself. Added to that of course is that as our main tactic is hit the channel and pressure the defenders, I'd say he's responsible for forcing a lot of corners too.

Certainly far more relevant than just producing a total figure which could include dozens of fouls on the keeper for all we know and which bear no relavence to the discussion.

Personally I'd drop him and at least try to play some more football to feet but that doesn't mean I think he's more concerned about what goes on off the field than on it or that he hasn't given his best under pretty difficult circumstances for a forward.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 17 Dec 2012 17:14

For me, apart from Shorey and Tabb, he has been our best performer this season.