Arsenal: Back from the procession

197 posts
royal_ross

Re: Arsenal: Back from the procession

by royal_ross » 18 Dec 2012 08:31

pea What is the record for consecutive losses in this division?

I'm sure we went 8 without a win in 07/08? Could be mistaken?

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 18 Dec 2012 08:31

Was summed up by text from the bf - Carzola is 5ft 4 and you let him score a header....

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 18 Dec 2012 08:35

First of all I would like to congratulate my wife for correctly getting the score, next time place a bet will you? I must admit I thought she had the right score for Arse but they were very nice in handing over a couple of Christmas pressies. So what of the game? Shit. What to discuss next? Seriously, we were dump. I actually thought Pog was doing quite well until he saw the rest of them just couldn't be bothered. Can someone please tell Mikele that it is R-U-G-B-Y where you kick for position, in football we P-A-S-S. Gorkss was beaten to a header by one of the shortest men on the field. Tactics were shit, team selection, oh just give up. I don't think we came back into the game in the Second Half at all, Arsenal took their foot off the gas and mind off the wheel, and reapplied themselves after we scored the second.

The most depressing thing for me was Gary Neville's analysis before the game. Showing how the back four drop back too close to goal and leave the space at the edge of the penalty area free for runners from midfield, and then to have live examples straight afterwards :x . He also stated that we lead the Premier League in crossing, however, as we all know an awful lot of our goals have come from dead balls. We may put in the most crosses, but it would also seem a lot of them are crap. Finally, there was a QPR statistic. Since Harry came in they are conceding a quarter of the scoring chances they did under Hughes, we had 19 chances, Soton had 20 but in the last two games it has been 5 and 7. If they can shut up shop, why the f*** can't we???!!!

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 18 Dec 2012 08:56

Elm Park Pasty First of all I would like to congratulate my wife for correctly getting the score, next time place a bet will you? I must admit I thought she had the right score for Arse but they were very nice in handing over a couple of Christmas pressies. So what of the game? Shit. What to discuss next? Seriously, we were dump. I actually thought Pog was doing quite well until he saw the rest of them just couldn't be bothered. Can someone please tell Mikele that it is R-U-G-B-Y where you kick for position, in football we P-A-S-S. Gorkss was beaten to a header by one of the shortest men on the field. Tactics were shit, team selection, oh just give up. I don't think we came back into the game in the Second Half at all, Arsenal took their foot off the gas and mind off the wheel, and reapplied themselves after we scored the second.

The most depressing thing for me was Gary Neville's analysis before the game. Showing how the back four drop back too close to goal and leave the space at the edge of the penalty area free for runners from midfield, and then to have live examples straight afterwards :x . He also stated that we lead the Premier League in crossing, however, as we all know an awful lot of our goals have come from dead balls. We may put in the most crosses, but it would also seem a lot of them are crap. Finally, there was a QPR statistic. Since Harry came in they are conceding a quarter of the scoring chances they did under Hughes, we had 19 chances, Soton had 20 but in the last two games it has been 5 and 7. If they can shut up shop, why the f*** can't we???!!!

Because they have a manger who knows how to manage in the Prem and we haven't ...

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 18 Dec 2012 09:12

Feds 6--------------------played ok, but looks an accident waiting to happen
Cummings 2-------------So much out of his depth
Gorks 2------------------Shocking Performance, No way good enough
Mariappa 2--------------Gave nothing, out of his depth
Shorey 6-----------------The one bright light
Kebe 3-------------------Apart from 10 mins in the 2nd half, diabolical, looks disinterested, out of his depth
Ledge 2------------------A part of the weekest central midfield in the league, well out of his depth
Tabb 3 ------------------Runs around a lot giving the ball away, not considered good enough for the Championship, but first choice in the Prem ??
McAnuf 3----------------Out of his depth
Pog 6 --------------------Must wish he had never heard of Reading, much to good for this bunch of crap
Hunt 5--------------------Runs around and jumps, simply not good enough for the prem

SUBS:-

Le Fondre 6-------------will score in any league
McLeary 2---------------Did he touch the ball
HRK 5--------------------Getting better,

McD 1--------------------Very poor again

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 18 Dec 2012 09:17

Nothing has changed really - it was no worse a performance than Sunderland or Villa, and anyone expecting a <3 goal margin was deluding themselves tbf.

When I got back from the game about 10 i decided to watch it again on Sky+. It doesn't get any better on second viewing. Legs, Kebe, Cummings and Jobi constantly giving the ball away and Tabb (try as he might) came off worse in pretty much every tackle he made. Hunt was anonymous, and although Feds did ok, everything he saved either hit his bulk or was a nice height and pace for him to punch clear. Thought he could have come abd claimed a couple of the crosses that they scored from.

Also - Used to like Jack Wilshere when i've seen him for England, but after that falling over and whinging display, especially when he got out jumped by Tabby for a header and wouldnt shake his hand, then rinsed for our first goal and feigned an injury after slipping over, he can f*ck himself the jumped up litle c*nt.

I think we need to accept our fate now, keeb Brian, sign some top drawer young Championship-hungry players and change our style of play ready for coming up as the next Swansea or Norwich.

Effectively we need to take the money from this season and run.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 18 Dec 2012 09:17

muddyfeet Was summed up by text from the bf - Carzola is 5ft 4 and you let him score a header....

If you didn't reply with "luckily for you, size isn't everything", then you're going straight onto iggy.

runrunrunrungilksey

by runrunrunrungilksey » 18 Dec 2012 09:19

We literally got it handed to us last night live on the telly, my worst fears were confirmed when I saw the line ups of the teams, it was inevitable that something like last night would happen, I actually managed to predict 2-6 before the game and I was relieved when Giroud missed at the end after I decided not to hand my slip and a couple of quid to the bookies.

In my opinion, the current team put out by McDermott is a weaker one than title winning team last year and yes last night it was Arsenal, yes this is the premier league and yes before the season started these types of games (Arsenal, Man City, Man U, Chelsea) were written off however in not being able to beat any of the teams around us I now look at these types of games with a renewed sense of hope “to dream the impossible dream” however all this has lead too is a new kind of disappointment, oh and can the club stop playing that song before the game, it leaves the fans open to mocking from our opposing supporters.

As Reading fans we have to face facts the “Reading way” doesn’t work in the Premier League but am I surprised, after all it didn’t work last time either. I understand that the club won’t go and spend silly money and get players in on big time contracts but at the same time, not dipping in a bit more than we have will leave us with only one outcome, the current situation.

I often wonder, is it me that needs to be realistic or the club?

What I can’t understand is why did we sell to Anton? I was filled with optimism of a bright future and an ever evolving football team when it was announced and why shouldn’t I have been, after all it was Sir John himself who said he would only sell to “deep pockets” and to someone who could take the club to the next level well................Stage 1 complete, we got promoted to the “promised land” but what’s the point if we don’t progress to that next level, is that not why he sold the club in the first place?

It’s clear Hammond, McDermott and the scouting network have made mistakes in the transfer market, trying to buy from the championship (within our budget) and a couple of free transfers (I don’t include Shorey in this as he has been decent) but it was summed up for me this morning when I heard none other than Jimmy “steal a living” Kebe talking on Talksport “If the club wants to stay in the premier league they have to spend the money and sign the players, I’m sure the Chairman has the money so he needs to spend it”. (clever bloke) Yes I was surprised to hear him speaking.

There is no doubt we have some emerging talent in the youth team who are already playing the likes of Arsenal and beating them but what’s the point in it if we then don’t add to that in the future the same as they do?

We need to pick up seven or eight wins if we want to survive and stay in the league and for some reason the club still have me believing that it is achievable. Should McDermott stay or should he go? Well it’s clear he is still learning his trade at the top level, I just hope that our continuing need to back him pays off.

Anyway we move on............................. Manchester City. *gulp*

URZ

REMTARDROYAL

by REMTARDROYAL » 18 Dec 2012 09:24

Looking at the goals

Podolski

poor angle, but a cross from the left finds a guy running in from deep.

Cazorla's first

In the absence of drawing a line, have a look at his run from the start of the gif. He's level with Leitgerwood. The gap between centre back and left back is made by a little dummy from the front striker and Cazorla runs through unmarked. Another cross from their left.

Cazorla's second

poor angle, a longer cross knocked back in from the left. He is surrounded by Reading players yet still gets the shot away.

Hat-trick

cross. from. the. left.
I would also like to point out our defensive midfielder's sterling efforts to get back, barely in the box when the ball goes in. Defender in the middle gets sucked in a bit, perhaps a call that he had a player lurking just behind him.

Fifth

Pisspoor angle. It doesn't show the midfield play where Arsenal were put under almost no pressure in the build up.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 18 Dec 2012 09:25

muddyfeet Worryingly over the weeks we seem to be getting worse instead of better and for that something must be wrong in the training department,

It's also just as much that all the opposition now know exactly how to play against us.

clauski

by clauski » 18 Dec 2012 09:29

It's frustrating that we were well beaten yesterday because of our failings, rather than because of the opposition's strengths. We've been outplayed by Arsenal in the past due to their abilities, but this performance could have been against any other Premier League team and unless we fix those weaknesses soon we will need to get even more used to this.

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 18 Dec 2012 09:32

runrunrunrungilksey
I often wonder, is it me that needs to be realistic or the club?

It's you that needs to be realistic.

We can't spend money we don't have.

We could have gambled on future income by spending 20-30 million like Saints, but remind me where they are in the table again? Is their future in the top flight in any way assured for next season?

If we gamble that money we are no better off next year for our unexpected promotion, perhaps even worse off for it. Instead we can reap the full harvest of 4 years (?) parachute payments allowing us to compete above our level in the champ wages wise.

With regard to the investment made by our new owners, I think its pretty clear we spent more in the summer than we would have done under Mr Madejski.

2 steps forward, 1 step back....still leaves you ahead of the game. Mind you that's easy for me to say....I went to a gig last night, good call all round...

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 18 Dec 2012 09:39

Jano Didn't see Shorey getting exposed at all, everything was going down the other side!

Watch Gary Neville's analysis. Liked the way he commented on how a team as good as Utd wouldn't commit as many men forward as Reading against Arsenal

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 18 Dec 2012 09:40

royal_ross
pea What is the record for consecutive losses in this division?

I'm sure we went 8 without a win in 07/08? Could be mistaken?
Yep

clauski

by clauski » 18 Dec 2012 09:46

The Beardy Man We could have gambled on future income by spending 20-30 million like Saints, but remind me where they are in the table again?

Outside of the relegation zone. Exactly where we need to be. And competing to stay up, unlike us.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 18 Dec 2012 09:47

Platypuss
muddyfeet Worryingly over the weeks we seem to be getting worse instead of better and for that something must be wrong in the training department,

It's also just as much that all the opposition now know exactly how to play against us.

That's the thing. We played even more narrow than usual assuming that Arsenal will do what they usually do and try to pass through the middle, yet against us they just went wide and put balls in the box for players running from deep. OK that's a little tactical thing that can happen but the worrying thing is when it was repeated constantly for a whole hour until some bright spark suddenly realised we'd have to change it.

Much like the rather gung-ho attacking formation to start the game I don't have an issue with trying something like that tactically. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's our total reluctance or inability to adjust that's infuriating.

We were always going to be fighting a rearguard action this season given how we run the club off the pitch and the resources we have but bloody hell we really are our own worst enemies on the pitch.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 18 Dec 2012 09:56

The thing that still really pisses me off today (no, not playing Liabilitywood) is that BMcD is so naive, arrogant or just damned right oblivious that he thinks he can take arsenal on at their own game and win. Norwich & Bradford got something from Arsenal by stopping their passing game & stifling their creativity. It may not be pretty, but it is effective.

What do we do? Bomb forwards at every opportunity, leave huge gaps for them to counter into and try and encourage more Basketball style end to end entertainment. That works in the championship simply because the counter attacking footballers for the other side are not as good. In the prem you will score goals, but the improved quality of attacks mean you will concede chances at an alarming rate, and ultimately get tonked by the ruthless sides.

We have not evolved our style one iota. Last night was an opportunity for Brian to show he had learnt something, but "more of the same" really is in danger of ending our season by the end of the month. Until he either steps aside or learns to adapt the playing style to protect the defence and grind out results (which will be at the expense of entertaining 6-7 goal games) we are in danger of struggling to get to 20 points.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 18 Dec 2012 10:00

clauski
The Beardy Man We could have gambled on future income by spending 20-30 million like Saints, but remind me where they are in the table again?

Outside of the relegation zone. Exactly where we need to be. And competing to stay up, unlike us.

It's irrelevant anyway. Financially comparing ourselves to a side with one of the wealthiest men in football prepared(at the moment at least) to finance that sort of outlay is pointless. You might just as well compare us to Man City.

We have to deal with it on our terms with what qualities we possess. It can be done, Swansea and Norwich are showing that with (on paper) a group of players that mostly would have fallen into the journeyman category before they hit the Premiership.

Even with the limited resources available though, can we honestly say we've made the most of our transfer dealings or utilised the players we do have to the best of our ability?

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 18 Dec 2012 10:06

Also, did we really play the goal music for our two goals?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 Dec 2012 10:07

I don't remember hearing it, although I didn't even bother standing up after our first one.

197 posts