How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

3209 posts
Mr Controversial

Re: How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

by Mr Controversial » 18 Dec 2012 13:35

Lacoste Just sack the clueless chump.

and then what, who to replace him.....

there is no point replacing McDermott unless something drastic changes with the finances.....

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Dec 2012 13:39

All these comments about Fergie or Mourinho not being able to do more with this group of players are bollocks I'm afraid.

Neither of those managers have stuck to a ridgid and one dimensional system of play when it's blatently obvious they need to change things to affect the course of a game. We've been in good positions in a number of games (less so recently after the run of results and performances got us stuck into this rut of results) which we failed to see out. We wouldn't have kept all those leads but I'd put my mortgage on Fergie and Mourinho being able to cover our weaknesses in those winning positions to close out a number of wins and see us in a much better position as a result.

Neither manager would've gone into a season where they obviously had plans to try a 5 man midfield with such a lack of quality resources in both midfield and upfront to allow them to play it (remember McDermott basically said he'd have played a different formation had Hunt been fit for one game earlier in the year).

They'd have reacted to our gapping holes to pulg those gaps and they'd not have found themselves falling out with key players they needed to use to make their tactics work. I'm sure they'd have got more out of our players who are woefully underperforming too. That's why they're such good managers.

McDermott isn't showing any ability to do any of the above right now. All he's doing is shuffling his pack to hope he stumbles across a mix that works. With our resources that just ins't going to happen.

Mr Controversial

by Mr Controversial » 18 Dec 2012 13:41

ok, lets all assume that there is a minimal amount of money available in January - for arguments sake lets call it £5million.

Who do you think we should bring in to replace McDermott to spend this money, lets be honest who would want to come?

Thats the nub of the issue - it doesnt matter who we replace McDermott with the new guy will have the same crappy players and no money. Therfore, Replacing McDermott does not fix the problem, he just ends up being the scapegoat until such time as the new manager discovers he has exactly the same problem.

WestCoast Life
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by WestCoast Life » 18 Dec 2012 13:42

Mr Controversial

A cardboard cut-out.

Could'nt do any worse and might actually get on better with the players.

Mr Controversial

by Mr Controversial » 18 Dec 2012 13:46

WestCoast Life
Mr Controversial

A cardboard cut-out.

Could'nt do any worse and might actually get on better with the players.

wow, some people have such short fvcking memories...........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/reading/9211298/Reading-promoted-to-Premier-League-how-club-went-from-relegation-fodder-to-top-of-the-class.html

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Dec 2012 13:47

Mr Controversial ok, lets all assume that there is a minimal amount of money available in January - for arguments sake lets call it £5million.

Who do you think we should bring in to replace McDermott to spend this money, lets be honest who would want to come?

Thats the nub of the issue - it doesnt matter who we replace McDermott with the new guy will have the same crappy players and no money. Therfore, Replacing McDermott does not fix the problem, he just ends up being the scapegoat until such time as the new manager discovers he has exactly the same problem.

I think it's probably too late to avoid relegation but that doesn't mean it's not worth replacing the manager who is ripping apart all the good work he's done before.

If we don't replace him I can't see any way things are going to improve. If we bring new players in it'll be unlikely that they'll be significantly better than the ones we have (why would they join us?) and they'll be coming into a squad that's in pieces and losing confidence and spirit on a game by game basis.

Replace the manager and they may be able to attract different players and they'll certainly be able change the environment they're coming into. They can start to effectively build for next season and stop the rot that's set in.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Dec 2012 13:48

Mr Controversial wow, some people have such short fvcking memories...........

None shorter than yours it would seem.

royal madrid

by royal madrid » 18 Dec 2012 13:54

Strachan?
di Matteo?

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 18 Dec 2012 13:59

royal madrid Strachan?
di Matteo?

WTF is everyone going on about Di-Matteo? The bloke has achieved F'All. He took over AVB's team, and told them to "do what they want" - he destroyed WBA. The fact that he was named "Coach of the year" yesterday - is an absolute joke!

Gordon Strachan. You do make me laugh.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 18 Dec 2012 14:00

MC, we all know McDermott has done a phenomenal job at RFC, nobody is questioning that, but we have to stop looking in the past. This season he has made an absolute mess of premier league management, and with 9 points approching the halfway stage and the humilation of capitulating more than once in front of the world on tv, i personally think the fans have every right to question whether he's the right man.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 18 Dec 2012 14:07

Focher

MC, we all know McDermott has done a phenomenal job at RFC, nobody is questioning that, but we have to stop looking in the past. This season he has made an absolute mess of premier league management, and with 9 points approching the halfway stage and the humilation of capitulating more than once in front of the world on tv, i personally think the fans have every right to question whether he's the right man.

Absolutely NO right to challenge him. He got us here. He has the right to oxf*rd it up. If he fails to get us back up, THEN people can challenge him.
The problem in this country, is that there's far too many of these Championship Manager playing morons, who then come on here spouting off, thinking that it's as easy as pressing a few buttons. They forget that computer simulations are one dimensional - human beings are infinitely more complex.

royal madrid

by royal madrid » 18 Dec 2012 14:14

Caskeys Lovechild
royal madrid Strachan?
di Matteo?

WTF is everyone going on about Di-Matteo? The bloke has achieved F'All. He took over AVB's team, and told them to "do what they want" - he destroyed WBA. The fact that he was named "Coach of the year" yesterday - is an absolute joke!

How did di Matteo 'destroy' WBA?

So, who would you have? Employ a manager on a contract to the end of the season and offer them a sliding scale of compensation based on certain targets being met. It's a win-win situation for them.
Brian, although I like him as a person, isn't up to the job. If he wasn't offered the funds he needed or wanted then he may not me made of the right stuff to demand them of a chairman, and isn't up to the job. If he felt that the players he has were capable of performing when they clearly aren't, then he isn't up to the job. If he can't spot a losing formula without changing it, mid-match or between games - before it's too late then... are you seeing a pattern here?
If the club really want to keep him, fine. But I'd impose some sort of target upon him and suggest that we go out and hire a defensive coach with a bit of nous who can ensure we're better equipped - through foul means or fair - to stop shipping goals.
I sense that Brian has a Get Out of Jail Free card at the moment, as the fixtures haven't been particuarly kind. Unfortunataly, those are the fixtures and he needs to send out a team capable of dealing with whatever is in front of him.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Dec 2012 14:20

Brian now approaching even-money to be the next Prem manager to go

Second favourite is 4-1

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 18 Dec 2012 14:24

Caskeys Lovechild
Focher

Absolutely NO right to challenge him. He got us here. He has the right to oxf*rd it up. If he fails to get us back up, THEN people can challenge him.
The problem in this country, is that there's far too many of these Championship Manager playing morons, who then come on here spouting off, thinking that it's as easy as pressing a few buttons. They forget that computer simulations are one dimensional - human beings are infinitely more complex.

M8 that petrol must have been strong stuff!

anybody in any job or role in society should be questioned if they are doing a bad job, a huge LOL at the amount of people living in the past.

So, are you telling me that after an excellent season for Leigertwood last season he should not be challenged or dropped, simply because he was good last season :?:

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 18 Dec 2012 14:32

I've said it once and i'll say it again, I can abide the players being shite- not too much can be done about that bar spending £100m+ on a new squad
What can't be tolerated is a manager starting 4-4-2, and it being imemdiately obvious to all and sundry that we would barely get a kick playing that way. By the time he changes it, the game had ended as a contest. We should have gone 4-5-1 after 10 minutes!

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 18 Dec 2012 14:34

royal madrid
Caskeys Lovechild
royal madrid Strachan?
di Matteo?

How did di Matteo 'destroy' WBA?

So, who would you have? Employ a manager on a contract to the end of the season and offer them a sliding scale of compensation based on certain targets being met. It's a win-win situation for them.
Brian, although I like him as a person, isn't up to the job. If he wasn't offered the funds he needed or wanted then he may not me made of the right stuff to demand them of a chairman, and isn't up to the job. If he felt that the players he has were capable of performing when they clearly aren't, then he isn't up to the job. If he can't spot a losing formula without changing it, mid-match or between games - before it's too late then... are you seeing a pattern here?
If the club really want to keep him, fine. But I'd impose some sort of target upon him and suggest that we go out and hire a defensive coach with a bit of nous who can ensure we're better equipped - through foul means or fair - to stop shipping goals.
I sense that Brian has a Get Out of Jail Free card at the moment, as the fixtures haven't been particuarly kind. Unfortunataly, those are the fixtures and he needs to send out a team capable of dealing with whatever is in front of him.

I'd have the second most successful manager in the history of RFC in place, and then add Wally Downes back into the mix.

He doesn't NEED a get out of jail free card - anyone with any sense, knows that assuming we are doomed to relegation this year (which we are - not his fault that he extracted more out of the team than was theoretically possible last season) - then you stick with him, safe in the knowledge, that we won't watch him over take us at the reigns of Cardiff, or Leeds, or worse, Sw*ndon. He's proven he's capable of winning the championship. He's also a long term servant of the club, who deserves more respect than to have people calling for his head after he delivered the second promotion in this clubs history.

For the record - Bookies aren't all that intelligent. If Southampton were bottom of the league, Adkins would be shortest odds. If it was WHU, Fat Sam would be.....they fail to take into account the fact that Reading FC are not hire and fire merchants like many of our fans "parent" club.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Dec 2012 14:34

Absolutely

In business there are creators who can start companies but are useless when they grow
or move up to a higher level... and there are managing directors who can steer a ship
that someone else created but couldn't create toilet paper.

For one specific thing, I have to question Brian. Why no 4-5-1?

McCleary can play middle off the striker. I think Kebe could.
We looked decent with McAnuff there and HRK wide (and HRK
was a real threat)... and there are other 451/433 options

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Dec 2012 14:50

Caskeys Lovechild He doesn't NEED a get out of jail free card - anyone with any sense, knows that assuming we are doomed to relegation this year (which we are - not his fault that he extracted more out of the team than was theoretically possible last season) - then you stick with him, safe in the knowledge, that we won't watch him over take us at the reigns of Cardiff, or Leeds, or worse, Sw*ndon. He's proven he's capable of winning the championship. He's also a long term servant of the club, who deserves more respect than to have people calling for his head after he delivered the second promotion in this clubs history.

If this season continues I'm not sure McDermott will be able to turn things around next season in the way many like you seems to think he will.

When he took over from Rodgers he was the fresh voice with the fresh ideas. After a season of abject failure (where his lack of flexibility and man-management was a significant part of that failre) why would a squad of players believe in him? What players could he attract and how would he turn around the momentum that 9 months of losing created?

The way we're going I'm starting to worry as much about next season as I am this one!

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 18 Dec 2012 14:51

You know if we played that way I'd actually play HRK off the striker.

He's decent enough in the air if he has to flick it on.
He's probably got the best close control ball skills of anyone so can maneouvre his way in a tight spots.
Decent enough with both feet
Can definitely pick a pass
A decent finisher
Good pace so can make the odd driving run if required
Has a huge arse so can back in Dalglish style and be difficult to dispossess with his back to play. (Dalglish and HRK mentioned in the same breath BR2 and C'monurz will be having kittens)
The fact that he's useless at tracking back and following runners won't hurt us so much.
Last edited by Vision on 18 Dec 2012 15:09, edited 1 time in total.

Paulrmb

by Paulrmb » 18 Dec 2012 15:07

For FS. Leave him alone. He got us here, he deserves to take us down and bring us back up. You are all too bloody spoilt watching good football. I spent all last season listening to the radio here in Ozz. Brian will learn from this given the opportunity. We have all seen what he has done with an average side. Just imagine what he could do with quality.

Good work Brian, its not about your last ten games, its your average what matters.

3209 posts