How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

3209 posts
Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

by Avon Royal » 22 Dec 2012 17:51

Credit where credit is due, today his tactics were much better- it actually looked as if he had adapted our game to nullify theirs rather than go toe-to-toe.

He had a game plan and it was effective. Still has some way to go to convince me that he is the right man for the job, but today was a step in the right direction.

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 22 Dec 2012 18:11

Avon Royal Credit where credit is due, today his tactics were much better- it actually looked as if he had adapted our game to nullify theirs rather than go toe-to-toe.

He had a game plan and it was effective. Still has some way to go to convince me that he is the right man for the job, but today was a step in the right direction.

Largely agreed, we actually looked like a premier league team again today for the first time in quite a few weeks. This was what I wanted to see from McDermott. The players responded as well. Plenty of positives from the Man City game.

Divvy

by Divvy » 22 Dec 2012 18:49

The only thing missing today was Guthrie starting. I cannot name another side in the league that plays 3 defensive midfielders in a 5 man midfield. Yes brilliant if we want to stifle the game, but we've seen plenty previously to know Brian favours def.mids over attacking midfielders. When Chelsea or Man Utd play 4-5-1/4-3-3 they have a holding midfielder in there and a couple of attack minded players as well. Norwich have also done the same, as have Stoke, WBA and Wigan. But we go out there with three defensive midfielders. We've got to get the balance right and bring in some attacking quality as well, and that should begin with Guthrie starting IMO.

Today was a massive improvement though but I hope we are a bit more attack minded with the next two home games.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Dec 2012 18:55

Guthrie isn't an attacking midfielder as such though, so bringing him in won't really change the shape.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 22 Dec 2012 18:56

Last week, the drop was 100% certain IMO, but looking at the table today we can get that 17th place (at least) if we play like today.
Come On Urzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Dec 2012 19:17

...which pretty much shows up the irrationality of much of what has been posted on this thread in the last couple of months.

Divvy

by Divvy » 22 Dec 2012 19:26

Hoop Blah Guthrie isn't an attacking midfielder as such though, so bringing him in won't really change the shape.

He is a creative midfielder who has a great pass on him. No-one else in this squad has that ability. Karacan, who I rate, is more def.mid, as is Tabb and Leigertwood, and those two aren't good enough at this level in all fairness either.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Dec 2012 19:38

Divvy
Hoop Blah Guthrie isn't an attacking midfielder as such though, so bringing him in won't really change the shape.

He is a creative midfielder who has a great pass on him. No-one else in this squad has that ability. Karacan, who I rate, is more def.mid, as is Tabb and Leigertwood, and those two aren't good enough at this level in all fairness either.

Totally agree, but just pointing out the actual shape won't change if Guthrie is played in his most natural position.

His presence would add quality on the ball though and I hope his cameo today is the start of McDermott getting the best out of him.

Divvy

by Divvy » 22 Dec 2012 19:50

Hoop Blah
Divvy

Totally agree, but just pointing out the actual shape won't change if Guthrie is played in his most natural position.

His presence would add quality on the ball though and I hope his cameo today is the start of McDermott getting the best out of him.

Indeed, and I wouldn't want the shape to change. 4-5-1/4-3-3 works in the league and I quite fancy it in the Championship if we have the right players for it, but instead of three defensive midfielders, we need one in there with some creativity as well. Then it works for me.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Dec 2012 20:11

Hoop Blah I hope his cameo today is the start of McDermott getting the best out of him.

He looked different class. I love to see a midfield player with time and vision and we haven't been blessed with many over the last 3 decades. Brief hint today that he could provide it.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 22 Dec 2012 20:19

Brian did all the right things today to play against a good Man City team he made the right changes and even played for the draw ! For me he's the only man to keep us up or if we get relegated get us back up again

John Peel

by John Peel » 22 Dec 2012 21:16

Not sure how long he'll last but fair play Brian on your post match comments. Shows how much he cares. Those comments were from the heart. He's spot on with those comments for me.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Dec 2012 21:29

Divvy Indeed, and I wouldn't want the shape to change. 4-5-1/4-3-3 works in the league and I quite fancy it in the Championship if we have the right players for it, but instead of three defensive midfielders, we need one in there with some creativity as well. Then it works for me.

I think we're talking at slightly different purposes, but largely in agreement.

What I was meaning was that even bringing Guthrie back in should mean we're still playing with 3 deeper players (more defensive positions) but his style of playing there will be more cultured and creative. Earlier in the season he was asked to play further forward and struggled to get in the game and we failed to utilise his strengths.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Dec 2012 21:42

Although today is a minor success for McDermott, and a rare one he needs to cling onto this season, for me it highlights some of his mistakes this season. Today we saw how we can be resilient and tough to create chances against with this squad of players. Too many times this season that hasn't been the case, especially when defending those leading positions that have proven to cost us so dearly so far.

Having Karacan back must've helped of course, but I hope this is a lesson learned for McDermott.

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 22 Dec 2012 22:07

Hoop Blah Although today is a minor success for McDermott, and a rare one he needs to cling onto this season, for me it highlights some of his mistakes this season. Today we saw how we can be resilient and tough to create chances against with this squad of players. Too many times this season that hasn't been the case, especially when defending those leading positions that have proven to cost us so dearly so far.

Having Karacan back must've helped of course, but I hope this is a lesson learned for McDermott.

100% in agreement with this. This squad is not a strong one in this division....but today showed they are capable of being resilient against even the strongest teams in the division. We have been underperforming, but let us hope today was the sign of a corner turned.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 22 Dec 2012 22:27

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20828545

The best interview I've ever seen from McDermott!

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 22 Dec 2012 22:49

Mirror - Strife of Brian: Players baffled by McDermott methods as #readingfc boss faces sack!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... um=twitter

Nowhere in the article does it say he faces the sack though. :roll:

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 22 Dec 2012 22:59

If he keeps doing what he did today, I really don't see how we can call for his head. I am chuffed to bits he is starting to see the light - lets hope it continues. We need to set up like that every game from now on IMO home or away.

Tis a shame its come about after 18 games though as we are sadly still nailed on for relegation.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 22 Dec 2012 23:00

Royal91 http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20828545

The best interview I've ever seen from McDermott!

I agree, couldn't help but agree with everything. Love him.

SPARTA Mirror - Strife of Brian: Players baffled by McDermott methods as #readingfc boss faces sack!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... um=twitter

Nowhere in the article does it say he faces the sack though.

It hints to it though, mocking his management skills.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 22 Dec 2012 23:02

He should have been sacked after Villa, and I'm still amazed he didn't walk. However today he did well.

3209 posts