So.... Was it a foul on Shorey? *POLL*

Did Gareth Barry foul Nicky Shorey in the build-up to City's winner?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 246
Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

Re: So.... Was it a foul on Shorey? *POLL*

by Super_horns » 23 Dec 2012 18:51

SCIAG I really don't think the opinions of ex-players are to be trusted. These are the same men who think that it is okay to kick someone in the chest if you aren't looking.

Who is that in relation to?

The 2 red cards at Upton Park yesterday...personally thought they were harsh TBH.

MrWestHam

by MrWestHam » 23 Dec 2012 19:06

Super_horns
SCIAG I really don't think the opinions of ex-players are to be trusted. These are the same men who think that it is okay to kick someone in the chest if you aren't looking.

Who is that in relation to?

The 2 red cards at Upton Park yesterday...personally thought they were harsh TBH.

Of course they were which is why they will both be rescinded tomorrow.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 23 Dec 2012 19:16

Neither will be rescinded.

LOL @ Fat Arrogant Sam - "All we want is consistency". Well Sam, your player went in high and aggressive, and got red carded. And so did theirs. How much more consistent do you want? oxf*rd tosser.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 23 Dec 2012 19:32

I've seen this three or four times and I can't make my mind up at all. The thing is it's one of those that can go either way. If Shorey jumps to try to defend the cross and Barry jumps into him then, if the goal had been given, I'd feel massively aggrieved. Shorey instead chose not to jump, chose to hold his defensive movement and attempt to block the run of Barry and that, for me, does for him getting the decision in his favour because the block could be deemed an infringement against Shorey.

BUT...Barry does jump into Shorey with a level of force that surely cannot be deemed safe? The so called "excessive force". Shorey in a way can be excused for taking evasive action in the face of such force, particularly with bArry raising his arms to gain leverage, elbows pointing forward. If a defender jumps in on an attacker like that from a goal kick then not only is it a free kick to the attacker but if the defender jumps in with his arms raised in similar fashion to Barry did then you're talking borderline red card territory.

So it's a question of interpretation for me. Personally I'd give a free kick to the defending team but I can see why some referees wouldn't.

Where's the option for "Don't know"?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Dec 2012 19:39

Could I have a 'Don't know' button please. I looks like a foul but then Shorey didn't jump. Oh I don't know :oops:

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 23 Dec 2012 19:41

It's a foul. There's no argument about it really. Anywhere else on the pitch, it's given as a foul.

People saying "Shorey should have jumped" - ever tried jumping with 15 stone of over priced tosser on your shoulder?

It's about time refereeing in this country was given an overhaul.... video and goal line technology should be being introduced - the pace of the game in this country has increased significantly over the last 10 years. The pace of those officiating, hasn't changed, so the system needs changing.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Dec 2012 19:45

Caskeys Lovechild Neither will be rescinded.

LOL @ Fat Arrogant Sam - "All we want is consistency". Well Sam, your player went in high and aggressive, and got red carded. And so did theirs. How much more consistent do you want? oxf*rd tosser.

:lol:

They were no more red cards than you are Uma Thurman.

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 23 Dec 2012 19:49

I play as a center back in amateur saturday league football, i always get them given against me from goal kicks on the half way line, so i don't see why that wouldn't be given.
Fair enough if they were already 4-0 up, but it changed the result.
For me 100% a foul. If that was on a 'keeper it would have been given, you can't even fart near the opponent goalie without conceding a free kick!

PS, a good performance, and how good is it to have Kebe and Karacan back!

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 23 Dec 2012 20:01

The way I see it, imagine the second minute of added time at the Etihad and Roberts scored in the same way to win the game. I think we all know there is no way that it would be given - it would be penalised as a foul on the City defender.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Dec 2012 20:06

^ yip

And events like that are the times when you just know that we may as well give up on any notions of staying within this exclusive (Premier) old boys club.

and lol at Kes's 83 votes

MrWestHam

by MrWestHam » 23 Dec 2012 20:13

Of course the other thing that didn't help was Shorey not flying to the floor like an extra from a Vietnam war film. Just one of the reasons why we can't eradicate 'simulation' from the game.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 23 Dec 2012 20:16

Elm Park Old Boy The way I see it, imagine the second minute of added time at the Etihad and Roberts scored in the same way to win the game. I think we all know there is no way that it would be given - it would be penalised as a foul on the City defender.

Stop it,stop it,stop it.
We defended well for 92 minuutes but lost the game-move on and let us hope that Booxing Day's ref (despite his Welsh name)sees us as the bigger club and gives us a dodgy decision to win the game and then we would only need to win about 8 more games for survival and as we won't be playing those nastyy big clubs every week maybe a 50/50 decision or two will go our way and so many self-pitying fans (I thought they were just from Liverpool according to some on here) can decide then whether life is fair.
Stop crying (and you Brian) and just get on with it.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Dec 2012 21:19

Couldn't give a shiny shit what the pundits say. As Michael Robinson once said they blame even the most stunning goal on defensive ''mistakes''. Definite foul and if it was the other way round it would have been disallowed.

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 23 Dec 2012 21:37

MrWestHam Of course the other thing that didn't help was Shorey not flying to the floor like an extra from a Vietnam war film. Just one of the reasons why we can't eradicate 'simulation' from the game.

Good point...against Wolves a guy got his red card redcinded because it was viewed by them that whilst he pulled back our striker Troy Deeney the latter was still able to get a shot in...

Had Deeney rolled around on the floor would they have won the appeal?

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 24 Dec 2012 04:14

I think it's a goal but you can be sure there will be one just the same over the next few weeks and the ref will give a foul.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 24 Dec 2012 07:30

Have not read all the other comments.

From a Reading fans perspective. If we score, its a goal. It they score its a foul.

From a neutral its one of those that can go either way I'm afraid.

NTRoyal

by NTRoyal » 24 Dec 2012 10:52

Genuinely amazed to see a whopping 60% think it was a foul.

Shorey made no effort to win the ball, and just stood still trying to block Barry's run, what was Barry supposed to do? He wanted it more, plain and simple. Never, ever a free kick.

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 24 Dec 2012 11:33

NTRoyal Genuinely amazed to see a whopping 60% think it was a foul.

Shorey made no effort to win the ball, and just stood still trying to block Barry's run, what was Barry supposed to do? He wanted it more, plain and simple. Never, ever a free kick.

Yeah, but you can't just run through people, that's a foul. If he's obstructing him, then it's an indirect free kick to them, other wise it's a direct free kick to us for the foul on Shorey. When a defender is shielding the ball out for a goal kick, a foul is given if the forward 'goes through him' to get the ball. What Barry did to Shorey was no different.
Too many people on this site don't know the rules of football, so shouldn't really comment. "wanting it more" doesn't mean you can take someone out i'm affraid.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 24 Dec 2012 11:52

Cant decide. But after seeing the penalty decision, we were unlucky to not have one of them go our way

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 24 Dec 2012 11:57

marcusopp Too many people on this site don't know the rules of football, so shouldn't really comment. "wanting it more" doesn't mean you can take someone out i'm affraid.

Fouls aren't a matter of fact, they're a matter of opinion. And the only person's opinion that matters is the referee's.

And they're Laws, not rules.