BFTG - West Ham

157 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - West Ham

by Ian Royal » 29 Dec 2012 22:41

Maguire
Ian Royal Harte - 6 miss jumped on two occasions letting them in, plus beaten for pace on at least one other. Don't know why Shorey was dropped for him really

We were letting in shitloads of goals and since Harte came back three games ago we've only let in one. And that was when he wasn't on the pitch.

I think he's incredible to be honest. Given his age and the level he was playing at, he's enjoyed a remarkable Indian summer since his move to Reading.

He was ok,. I don't think Shorey was really the problem though and bar a couple of errors in the more recent goals has been one of our standout players. I think the bigger difference to our resilience to conceeding is the switch to a 5 man midfield. That's why I wasn't particularly generous to the defence, because I thought it was only a slightly improved performance defensively, but one where they really got the help they needed from the players in front of them.

zingo

by zingo » 29 Dec 2012 22:44

SCIAG I would agree with a powerful ball winner or a genuine anchorman to "replace" Legs and a new first choice right back (which would probably mean selling Cummings, because he'll be easier to shift than Gunter- sorry Shaun).

It's not as if we've just tied him down to a new 2 and a year new deal though is it

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 29 Dec 2012 22:45

Arnie_Pie
LoyalRoyalFan 1-0...... 4-2...... 3-0......

Forever in our shadows.

6-0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx657ON0ePU

Cheers, That was great to watch that again.
"Reading goal scorer, WEST HAM UNITED" :lol:
Here's the link to that magical moment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx657ON0ePU&t=2m52s

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 29 Dec 2012 22:51

The great thing about West Ham is.....no....fcuk it, it's gone.

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 29 Dec 2012 22:55

Ian Royal
Maguire
Ian Royal Harte - 6 miss jumped on two occasions letting them in, plus beaten for pace on at least one other. Don't know why Shorey was dropped for him really

We were letting in shitloads of goals and since Harte came back three games ago we've only let in one. And that was when he wasn't on the pitch.

I think he's incredible to be honest. Given his age and the level he was playing at, he's enjoyed a remarkable Indian summer since his move to Reading.

He was ok,. I don't think Shorey was really the problem though and bar a couple of errors in the more recent goals has been one of our standout players. I think the bigger difference to our resilience to conceeding is the switch to a 5 man midfield. That's why I wasn't particularly generous to the defence, because I thought it was only a slightly improved performance defensively, but one where they really got the help they needed from the players in front of them.

Shorey had an alarming dip in form for his last few games. He made mistakes and his positional play was very suspect. Although BM didn't name names, he said a few times we needed experience at the back. Theres no coincidence that Harte and Pearce returning has brought stability.

Shorey wasn't as much as a liability as Ledge, but with an experienced LB waiting in the wings, it was a no brainer. I can only assume Ledge is still in the team because BM thinks Tabb doesn't have the height or strength to defend set pieces.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Dec 2012 22:57

brighton_royal The great thing about West Ham is.....no....fcuk it, it's gone.

League
P 11, W 7, D 1, L 3, F 21, A 9

That's what's great about West Ham. They're so bloody generous with points.

Cayenne - missed the last few games before today, although I'd noticed Shorey's form was dipping. Didn't know it was that bad. Thoroughly agree on your guess for Legs, that's my thought, but I think I'd rather see Tabb rewarded for good performance and risk the lack of height and weight (he's plenty strong) than keep playing a Leigertwood that I counted make 3 successful passes in the second half.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Dec 2012 22:59

cannot disagree with that Ian

But did you bother counting the amount of WetSham attacks that he broke up over the 90?

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 29 Dec 2012 23:01

AthleticoSpizz cannot disagree with that Ian

But did you bother counting the amount of WetSham attacks that he broke up over the 90?

Probably not...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Dec 2012 23:02

No, I can't multi-task. Yes, he did do a decent job defensively, but that is somewhat ruined by being incapable of playing an accurate pass unless it's under 5 yards, or backwards and under no pressure.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 29 Dec 2012 23:03

Ian Royal

No, I can't multi-task. Yes, he did do a decent job defensively, but that is somewhat ruined by being incapable of playing an accurate pass unless it's under 5 yards, or backwards and under no pressure.

Agreed, if he breaks up attacks, then loses the ball with a poor pass to a West Ham player, it ruins the whole point of him winning the ball back to begin with.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Dec 2012 23:05

Readingfanman
Ian Royal

Agreed, if he breaks up attacks, then loses the ball with a poor pass to a West Ham player, it ruins the whole point of him winning the ball back to begin with.

In his defence - to play devils advocate - it does at least mean they have to start again from deeper usually.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Dec 2012 23:08

of course...but did you bother counting how many times we lost pocession via Kebe, Harte, Pog etc?

no

Worse still, was the set piece throw ins, free kicks where we gifted pocession straight back to them

Ian gave legs a 4

I give him a 6

I love Tabb but you cannot change a winning team etc

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Dec 2012 23:13

AthleticoSpizz of course...but did you bother counting how many times we lost pocession via Kebe, Harte, Pog etc?

no

Worse still, was the set piece throw ins, free kicks where we gifted pocession straight back to them

Ian gave legs a 4

I give him a 6

I love Tabb but you cannot change a winning team etc

I didn't count any other player's successfull passes, because I didn't notice any other of our players giving the ball away as much or playing as badly in the games I've seen this season. Except Gorkss, who wasn't on the pitch. And we're back to multi-tasking.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Dec 2012 23:16

Ian Royal
Maguire

Harte's done pretty well yes, but Ian's right the change in fortunes is about a lot more than just Harte coming in at left back.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Dec 2012 23:17

Keith Jones had fans like you Ian

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 Dec 2012 23:19

Hoop Blah Harte's done pretty well yes, but Ian's right the change in fortunes is about a lot more than just Harte coming in at left back.

Nobody suggested otherwise.

It is partly because Harte has come in at LB though, which is a decent response to the initial statement that he couldn't see why Harte was playing.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Dec 2012 23:20

AthleticoSpizz Keith Jones had fans like you Ian

I didn't like Keith Jones.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Dec 2012 23:21

a full hardy Slammed-like :lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Dec 2012 23:24

He said that he couldn't understand why Shorey was dropped, which is slightly different of course. Like last season, Harte started the season quite poorly so I was surprised to see McDermott make the change despite Shorey not being quite so good during his last couple of games.

I'd still take Shorey over Harte but I agree his Indian summer has been quite something and he's done his bit during our mini-revival.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 29 Dec 2012 23:29

Fantastic result. Although Leigertwood can't appear to pass and wants about an hour on the ball he was very good at breaking up West Ham's attacking play.

That was Mariappa's best game for the club (IMHO). He and Pearce seem to have a good understanding and getting Morrison back should keep the competition for CB places alive.

West Ham were poor, but it does show that there's not such a gap between ourselves and teams dirextly above us. Let's hope we move swiftly in the transfer market and have one or two before our next league game after the FA Cup competition.

It still seems we will get relegated - all I ask is that we give it a go and play as a team. The last three games have demostrated there is fight and a will to survive. I'm not sure with the squad we have we can ask for much more at the moment.

157 posts