QPR v Reading Observation

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dragpeace

QPR v Reading Observation

by dragpeace » 30 Dec 2012 20:16

We're here from the States for the holidays and went to the last three matches (I'm a lifelong RFC supporter who grew up going to Elm Park every other week, but moved to the USA in the 80s - Steve Death is still my favorite Royal!). As we don't leave until tomorrow, we also went to today's QPR-Liverpool match. The difference between the teams and supporters was marked, and it made me proud to be a Royal. The QPR players clearly had more athleticism and quality than the Reading players, but their play as a team was appalling. After Liverpool's 2nd, the players were arguing, and the supporters were yelling insults. The effort on the pitch was pitiful, and the level of gloom and frustration palpable. It was a tremendous contrast from our two games at the Mad Stad (and the game at Man City), where I felt the players were giving their all, and the supporters were backing them up.

Prior to this trip, I thought we were doomed and QPR had too much quality to go down. I'm now convinced QPR is going down, and that we have a chance to stay up, although we have a lot to do.

Stevie G

Re: QPR v Reading Observation

by Stevie G » 30 Dec 2012 20:30

Welcome home and thanks for the insight. After 2 years away in Canada we've returned to season tickets and are enjoying every minute of it. Yep, we'd like the team to be doing better, but we're doing so well as a club. You can't fault the effort in the team, it's just the standard that needs a bit of patching up and perhaps the overall management should have given a little more leadership in the summer. I had QPR, Saints and Norwich for the drop, I still think QPR, but I think Saints and Norwich will be safe, perhaps Villa imploding all the way through leaving just one last slot. Hope it's not us.

Have a great new year and a safe journey back.

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 30 Dec 2012 20:33

dragpeace We're here from the States for the holidays and went to the last three matches (I'm a lifelong RFC supporter who grew up going to Elm Park every other week, but moved to the USA in the 80s - Steve Death is still my favorite Royal!). As we don't leave until tomorrow, we also went to today's QPR-Liverpool match. The difference between the teams and supporters was marked, and it made me proud to be a Royal. The QPR players clearly had more athleticism and quality than the Reading players, but their play as a team was appalling. After Liverpool's 2nd, the players were arguing, and the supporters were yelling insults. The effort on the pitch was pitiful, and the level of gloom and frustration palpable. It was a tremendous contrast from our two games at the Mad Stad (and the game at Man City), where I felt the players were giving their all, and the supporters were backing them up.

Prior to this trip, I thought we were doomed and QPR had too much quality to go down. I'm now convinced QPR is going down, and that we have a chance to stay up, although we have a lot to do.

It must be good for you to see some real sport again for a change! I could never live outside of europe because the sports are so shit, but the USA is worst of all! Good to have you back buddy, even if it's for two games. The difference between quarter pound of rubbish and us is that we have a good set up and good manager, none of which are egomaniacs.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 30 Dec 2012 20:33

dragpeace We're here from the States for Christmas

dragpeace I'm now convinced QPR are going down

Fixed that for you.

dragpeace

by dragpeace » 30 Dec 2012 20:36

blueroyals
dragpeace We're here from the States for Christmas

dragpeace I'm now convinced QPR are going down

Fixed that for you.

LOL! I've been in the States too long. ;)

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 30 Dec 2012 20:43

QPR were dire and I'd take our side man for man over theirs.

Without some amazing Harry magic in the transfer window they're doomed.

Royal Bahamas

by Royal Bahamas » 30 Dec 2012 21:12

marcusopp
dragpeace We're here from the States for the holidays and went to the last three matches (I'm a lifelong RFC supporter who grew up going to Elm Park every other week, but moved to the USA in the 80s - Steve Death is still my favorite Royal!). As we don't leave until tomorrow, we also went to today's QPR-Liverpool match. The difference between the teams and supporters was marked, and it made me proud to be a Royal. The QPR players clearly had more athleticism and quality than the Reading players, but their play as a team was appalling. After Liverpool's 2nd, the players were arguing, and the supporters were yelling insults. The effort on the pitch was pitiful, and the level of gloom and frustration palpable. It was a tremendous contrast from our two games at the Mad Stad (and the game at Man City), where I felt the players were giving their all, and the supporters were backing them up.

It must be good for you to see some real sport again for a change! I could never live outside of europe because the sports are so shit, but the USA is worst of all! Good to have you back buddy, even if it's for two games. The difference between quarter pound of rubbish and us is that we have a good set up and good manager, none of which are egomaniacs.

Dragpeace, it'a great to see your perspective, and I appreciate your insight. It makes the 'optimistic' fans on this site just a little more happy, that just maybe they are not as deluded as some would have us think.

Marcusopp, I have to disagree with you about all of the States sports being "egomaniacs". I remember watching my nephew play in a 'Schoolboys Soccer Tournament' in Washington D.C., some 20 - 25 years ago. He was playing for Southampton Schoolboys, and it was a really well run and very fair and 'even spirited' event. A real pleasure to watch. Unfortunately they lost in the rounds, as the level of play was much higher than I expected.
What you have experienced are the 'Elite' 'Money Oriented' of the sports. I believe you'll find those everywhere these days, including Europe.
Part of that is to do with the "results oriented" viewpoint of the Owners, where 'LOYALTY' has become a thing of the past. Something I do not agree with. That is one of the reasons why I am so pleased that RFC are sticking with Brian. The mentality is a 'throwback' from a former era, yet I believe that given time, it will be the correct decision.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 31 Dec 2012 08:21

Thanks for the insight and welcome home!

I would imagine the problem for the QPR fans is that they care passionately for their club but see their current players as being massively over paid mercenaries that they believe have the required quality and ability to get them out of trouble but are simply not putting the shift in.

It is much more difficult to get behind the team in that situation than ours which is an honest bunch that are giving their all but the squad needs that little bit more quality and top level experience. That is hopefully something that is easier to address next month than QPR's current malaise. Harry slagging them off in public is also not going to help in my opinion!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 31 Dec 2012 10:08

QPR are rubbish, as has been said overpaid mercenaries, all the glare that Arry has given them over the time since he joined has been embarrassing for them.

Pundits ignoring the reality, arry will not save them, no one could.

Meanwhile RFc just get on with things, just thankful that Arry did not tempt Anton.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 31 Dec 2012 11:34

The other thing with QPR was the pre-season announcements by their owner and (then) manager, that they weren't going to be in a relegation battle this season, allied to some big name players coming to their club, so fan expectation was sky high (some were optimisitcally looking at a possible push for the Europa Leagye places....) which makes their current state that much more difficult to bear.

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 31 Dec 2012 11:47

Marcusopp, I have to disagree with you about all of the States sports being "egomaniacs". I remember watching my nephew play in a 'Schoolboys Soccer Tournament' in Washington D.C., some 20 - 25 years ago. He was playing for Southampton Schoolboys, and it was a really well run and very fair and 'even spirited' event. A real pleasure to watch. Unfortunately they lost in the rounds, as the level of play was much higher than I expected.
What you have experienced are the 'Elite' 'Money Oriented' of the sports. I believe you'll find those everywhere these days, including Europe.
Part of that is to do with the "results oriented" viewpoint of the Owners, where 'LOYALTY' has become a thing of the past. Something I do not agree with. That is one of the reasons why I am so pleased that RFC are sticking with Brian. The mentality is a 'throwback' from a former era, yet I believe that given time, it will be the correct decision.[/quote]

I just meant QPR players are egomaniacs!

westongeezer

by westongeezer » 31 Dec 2012 11:54

QPR All the gear and no idea, how not to run a club, thank god we dont throw money around to win trophies,

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 31 Dec 2012 11:54

Can't stand all these plastics, as soon as we get relegated they'll be flying back to North America again no doubt :wink:

When I saw the topic title I was kinda hoping the OP would just say "their shirts look the same"

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 31 Dec 2012 16:40

marcusopp

Maybe if you like Cricket, Formula 1, or Rugby. If you don't like the NFL, then yes, sport here in the USA is not very fun. But please don't get me started on the lack of competitiveness of the EPL vs. that in the NFL. There is no comparison. NFL is much more exciting from that standpoint.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 31 Dec 2012 20:29

TheSiege A side issue;- QPR have a shedload of decent players and they currently appear to be mis-using most of them whilst the few on the pitch fail to gell as a team. Knowing Harry's penchant for moving players on and bringing others in, is there a bargain there waiting for us? One or two of their better players might do very well in a team that plays like a team!

Was thinking the same thing to be honest

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1