SIGNED - Stephen Kelly

308 posts
royalZILLAAA

Re: Rumour - Stephen Kelly

by royalZILLAAA » 11 Jan 2013 15:34

No Hoops
SPARTA And another 6ft'er. I'm more than happy with this. some of our fans are unbelievably unrealistic. He's chosen to come here with relegation staring us in the face. Experienced, played in europe as well for Fulham, ROI euros etc. Big improvement in that problem position.

+1

Should mean jimmy can get forward a bit more.

For some reason that got me really excited.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 11 Jan 2013 15:35

madreadingfan Rumours are that Cardiff are looking at Gunter.

Seems plausible.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 11 Jan 2013 15:36

noelgallagher Will be announced tonight and on the team sheet tomorrow.

Is he match fit? Hasn't played much this season.

jellytot

by jellytot » 11 Jan 2013 15:37

Also see Arshavin (see thread) may be back on. Now that would
Excite! I doubt it though. It would signal a new era for me and intent from the club. Signing established world class players we have mot done before. Ok Arsenal want himnout but
You know what i mean.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 11 Jan 2013 15:38

Kelly / Morrison / Pearce / Shorey is pretty decent first choice defense tbf. Got some height back as well.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 11 Jan 2013 15:44

jellytot Also see Arshavin (see thread) may be back on. Now that would
Excite!

It's awful what those people on twitter do to the terminally credulous.

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 11 Jan 2013 15:54

Another Andy Griffin savior moment by the sounds of it.

RFCUK

by RFCUK » 11 Jan 2013 15:55

RFCSPACE Another Andy Griffin savior moment by the sounds of it.

This

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 11 Jan 2013 16:05

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 48145.html

Sorry if this has already been posted but looks like its happening tonight. "Major Signing"

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jan 2013 16:11

Only one Trevor Morley Pleased - for those saying we now have 3 right backs, I do wonder if Cummings is being seen as a potential alternative to Jobi on the right wing going forward - he played well there in the play off match against cardiff....

1) McAnuff plays left wing.
2) One good game when we had no alternatives makes you think he's seen as a potential winger? When he's not actually that good going forward as a full back?

Looks a bit like a Guthriesque signing... very promising, but could prove to be a bit of a damp squib. It's an area we've needed to improve, but also an area where we have depth. Given our lack of big signings to keep us up, and the fact that Cummings and Gunter are both easily good enough for the Championship, I'm not sure this is the best idea.

But he will almost certainly bea good player for us and improves our 11 NOW. And between him and Cummings we may already have our future left backs as both seem able to play there...

I'd really, really like to see us sign at least one more midfielder who is there to pull the strings, or score goals and attack. We're still rather one dimensional there. Albeit with a lot more choice and probably a bit more quality.

noelgallagher

by noelgallagher » 11 Jan 2013 16:13

M Brook
noelgallagher Will be announced tonight and on the team sheet tomorrow.

Is he match fit? Hasn't played much this season.

Misleading, apologies. Just something me and the old man refer to when a new player is signed.
With that said his knee injury is sorted, but whether or not he's match fit is anyone's guess. I doubt it.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Jan 2013 16:17

Ian Royal
Only one Trevor Morley Pleased - for those saying we now have 3 right backs, I do wonder if Cummings is being seen as a potential alternative to Jobi on the right wing going forward - he played well there in the play off match against cardiff....

1) McAnuff plays left wing.
2) One good game when we had no alternatives makes you think he's seen as a potential winger? When he's not actually that good going forward as a full back?

Looks a bit like a Guthriesque signing... very promising, but could prove to be a bit of a damp squib. It's an area we've needed to improve, but also an area where we have depth. Given our lack of big signings to keep us up, and the fact that Cummings and Gunter are both easily good enough for the Championship, I'm not sure this is the best idea.

But he will almost certainly bea good player for us and improves our 11 NOW. And between him and Cummings we may already have our future left backs as both seem able to play there...

I'd really, really like to see us sign at least one more midfielder who is there to pull the strings, or score goals and attack. We're still rather one dimensional there. Albeit with a lot more choice and probably a bit more quality.

I'm going to disagree with you there IR, think we have most bases covered in midfield now.

Defensive bruiser - Ledge
Someone to sit deep and distribute - Carrico
High energy - Tabb and Karacan
Box-to-box powerhouse - Akpan
Passer - Guthrie

Would like to see us bring in another winger (possibly Arshavin) though. Our game relies on getting the ball out wide, with the new midfielders hopefully we'll be able to do that quicker and with more accuracy now, but so far this season none of our wingers have consistently impacted on a game. Defensively we're looking more solid and Kelly coming in should only aid that, I like the look of our midfield options, and up front in Pog we have a guy who is really starting to show what he's all about. It's just on the wings that we're falling slightly short IMO.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 11 Jan 2013 16:18

Ian Royal 2) One good game when we had no alternatives makes you think he's seen as a potential winger? When he's not actually that good going forward as a full back?

Just because he doesn't go forward much doesn't mean he's not good at it. I'd say that Cummings is a far better crosser of the ball than any of our four wingers.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 11 Jan 2013 16:19

winchester_royal Think this is a decent signing, hopefully he'll be able to do the same kind of job that Andy Griffin did when he came in.

Slightly unexpected though given Cummings has just been given a new contract. Presumably he'll be sent out on loan.

Surpriused it doesn't bother you that he hasn't been playing much.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 11 Jan 2013 16:23

Cummings is stilll at the stage where he will only get better and better so it will do him no harm to go out on loan for the rest of this season if we keep Gunter.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 11 Jan 2013 16:27

3 veesinarow
LoyalRoyal22 Reserve judgement until i see him play. Hopefully they will get rid of Cummings and let Gunter and Kelly compete for the right back position

Brian is a deluded nobody if he cant see we need some creativity in the midfield though. Should have been our priority.

Awfully kind of you to defer your valuable opinion rather than just calling him shit now. We'll await your verdict with bated breath.

As for the midfield, January has still only been on the go for 11 days and, remarkably, still has 20 days to go.

No problem. You will be able to see my views exclusively on HNA after his debut :arrow:

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 11 Jan 2013 16:28

pea
Ian Royal 2) One good game when we had no alternatives makes you think he's seen as a potential winger? When he's not actually that good going forward as a full back?

Just because he doesn't go forward much doesn't mean he's not good at it. I'd say that Cummings is a far better crosser of the ball than any of our four wingers.

Disagree. When Kebe has time he delivers a good ball 90% of the time. However, he's also always looking to get a ball in so sometimes puts a slightly poorer one in when under pressure or from difficult positions. I'd say he's our best crosser by far. HRK second, McAnuff 3rd and crossing isn't one of mcClearys strengths, so him fourth

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Jan 2013 16:28

cmonurz
winchester_royal Think this is a decent signing, hopefully he'll be able to do the same kind of job that Andy Griffin did when he came in.

Slightly unexpected though given Cummings has just been given a new contract. Presumably he'll be sent out on loan.

Surpriused it doesn't bother you that he hasn't been playing much.

Knew you'd bring that up :P

Kelly was brought in as a squad player and has done the business for Fulham whenever asked but can't get regular football ahead of the excellent Riether. Stoke paid £6m for Palacios and he can't get near their very average midfield. Plus RB is an area of our team that needed strengthening more than DM.

Are the circumstances that make it different for me.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 11 Jan 2013 16:32

bracksroyal10 http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-defender-stephen-kelly-undergoing-medical-at-reading-8448145.html

Sorry if this has already been posted but looks like its happening tonight. "Major Signing"

Great journalism that one - I quote:

"We will try to get one or two players in," Jol said of his January transfer plans. "One example is right-back as Stephen Kelly, who went for a medical at Reading today. It is close to completion.

Either Jol is a complete idiot who confuses bring a player in and shipping one out or the journo mixed up a quote by McD with another one with by Jol.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 11 Jan 2013 16:38

Royalwaster
bracksroyal10 http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-defender-stephen-kelly-undergoing-medical-at-reading-8448145.html

Great journalism that one - I quote:

"We will try to get one or two players in," Jol said of his January transfer plans. "One example is right-back as Stephen Kelly, who went for a medical at Reading today. It is close to completion.

Either Jol is a complete idiot who confuses bring a player in and shipping one out or the journo mixed up a quote by McD with another one with by Jol.

Isn't he saying one example of a player he will get in is a right back, because Kelly is close to completing a move to Reading? :|

308 posts