If we service the strikers....

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

Re: If we service the strikers....

by Reading4eva » 13 Jan 2013 11:21

Extended-Phenotype We keep dissing the central mids for lacking creativity, but their game is to defend and break up play. Creativity is supposed to come from our wings - at that isn't happening for the majority of the game.

If we want to bitch about creating goals, the focus should be on Kebe and McAnuff who aren't doing their jobs. They may be doing some things right; tracking back and mucking in, but when you play defensive centrally as we do, the responsibility of driving the attack falls on the wings; neither of these fellas seem to want take a player on, and neither seem capable of putting in a good cross. If changes need to be made, using the bench or even bringing in new players, it's this area we need to look at.

Don't knock Kebe. Was fantastic yesterday, remember he's Jimmy Kebe he does what he wants

brewcity77

by brewcity77 » 13 Jan 2013 13:30

Double edged sword. McAnuff and Kebe haven't generally provided enough quality service, but they also have been stuck back because the fullbacks have been bad. Either we need better wing options that can competently play both ways or we need fullbacks that can capably defend and not rely on help from the wingers. Considering the type of wings I described would be world-class and out of our price range, the answer is probably better fullbacks. Hopefully we've addressed that a bit in the window.

One guy who has disappointed me a bit is Shorey. I feel like I'll get some new-guy-stick for this, but he's starting to show his age. A step too slow and his delivery doesn't make up for his lapses. If you're going to be slow, you have to be able to get the ball in reliably.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 Jan 2013 14:43

brewcity77 Double edged sword. McAnuff and Kebe haven't generally provided enough quality service, but they also have been stuck back because the fullbacks have been bad. Either we need better wing options that can competently play both ways or we need fullbacks that can capably defend and not rely on help from the wingers. Considering the type of wings I described would be world-class and out of our price range, the answer is probably better fullbacks. Hopefully we've addressed that a bit in the window.

One guy who has disappointed me a bit is Shorey. I feel like I'll get some new-guy-stick for this, but he's starting to show his age. A step too slow and his delivery doesn't make up for his lapses. If you're going to be slow, you have to be able to get the ball in reliably.

I think the "problem" with Kebe and McAnuff is that we don't have the players to suit them. Under Coppell we would have Kitson, Doyle and Sidwell piling into the box to get on the end of crosses, all of them were capable in the air and on the volley. We also had the other winger coming in on the far side for a volley, or a header if it was Stephen Hunt. In our 4-5-1, Kebe can aim for Pogrebnyak, or else McAnuff on the far side of the six yard box. Essentially he has one player to aim for. McAnuff has things a bit better because Kebe can credibly attack crosses. None of our midfielders (except maybe Legs and Akpan) have anything like Sidwell's scoring ability.

No offence, but are you sure you aren't confusing Shorey and Harte? Shorey hasn't been shown up for pace very often (even though he's clearly not lightning) and his delivery has been very good, directly creating four goals this season.

brewcity77

by brewcity77 » 13 Jan 2013 15:32

SCIAG No offence, but are you sure you aren't confusing Shorey and Harte? Shorey hasn't been shown up for pace very often (even though he's clearly not lightning) and his delivery has been very good, directly creating four goals this season.

I've been disappointed with both of them. Setpiece delivery has been okay, but run of play I haven't been impressed. Of course, I'm only able to see about one out of every three matches on this side of the pond, but I'm hoping Kelly can spur a bit more positivity from the back, even if it's in the form of putting more pressure on the other fullbacks to perform.

working class hero

by working class hero » 13 Jan 2013 22:33

Pog is improving.... but wasn't the winner an
own goal?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Jan 2013 09:32

Have to admit I'm warming to Pog. It's taken a while but he is playing with his head up, he looks confident, and he looks happy and settled into the team and like he actually wants to be here / cares... love the emotion from him when he scored and how happy the entire team were for him. What a finisher too.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 14 Jan 2013 10:01

The problem is that if we play with strikers (i.e. two up front) we lose the midfield and ship goals at the back. But to have 5 in midfield we have to lose one striker, and Pog just isn't good enough in the "lone striker" role - too easily bullied off the ball when trying to hold it up, and doesn't have a quick turn or pace to create something for himself.

The only compromise between these two conflicting states is more or less what McDermott has done a lot of his time here in one way or another - keep it tight for an hour or so and try not to concede (with 5 in the middle), and then switch to 4-4-2 with an extra, fresh, striker and go for goals, hoping that for that last 15-20 minutes we won't get stuffed by the opposition breaking quickly.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 14 Jan 2013 10:13

2 world wars, 1 world cup Pog, quite possibly the most amazing finisher I've seen for Reading and I watched almost every Cureton game.

phenomenal.

Jimmy Quinn was a bl**dy good finisher as well.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 14 Jan 2013 10:19

Extended-Phenotype We keep dissing the central mids for lacking creativity, but their game is to defend and break up play. Creativity is supposed to come from our wings - at that isn't happening for the majority of the game.

If we want to bitch about creating goals, the focus should be on Kebe and McAnuff who aren't doing their jobs. They may be doing some things right; tracking back and mucking in, but when you play defensive centrally as we do, the responsibility of driving the attack falls on the wings; neither of these fellas seem to want take a player on, and neither seem capable of putting in a good cross. If changes need to be made, using the bench or even bringing in new players, it's this area we need to look at.

It's a team game, everyone is involved in creating chances. If you only expect chances to come from the wings, then you are going to be a very predictable team and easy to defend against.

Shaka Hislop used to get chances going just by throwing the ball out to the half way line and we would be counter attacking from there. Federici used to do something similar with his low trajectory kicking until he got sussed out and marked in the penalty area. I think Shaka's throws were more accurate than Feds low flying arrow kicks, but creativity can start with the number one.

It can come from overlapping full backs. I think the wingers are far more effective when they have quality full backs overlapping them. It is much harder to defend against than a winger going at you which you can double up against.

Sidwell was a great all round player, breaking up play one minute and then driving forward and spraying the ball out wide and then piling into the box for the created chance.

Creativity is a team effort and you can't only rely on the wings. McAnuff had his best season when Bertrand was helping him out, that was a nightmare to defend against. McAnuff on his own is half the player he is when he has quality overlapping him.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Jan 2013 10:21

ZacNaloen

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 14 Jan 2013 10:31

2 world wars, 1 world cup Pog, quite possibly the most amazing finisher I've seen for Reading and I watched almost every Cureton game.

phenomenal.

weird timing of comment when the goal was either a straight o.g., or heavily deflected.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Jan 2013 10:57

run timed to perfection, great movement, nice finish. regardless of whether it hit someone else