Akpan's Amazing Assists - best passer at the club???

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Akpan's Amazing Assists - best passer at the club???

by winchester_royal » 30 Jan 2013 23:07

2 outrageously clever and composed assists. Already paid back the 300k. Shame on all who doubted Brian and Nicky.

RTG's 1 Mongs 0

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Jan 2013 23:09

winchester_royal 2 outrageously clever and composed assists. Already paid back the 300k. Shame on all who doubted Brian and Nicky.

RTG's 1 Mongs 0

Definitely. That's 4 points he's contributed to now.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Jan 2013 10:12

3 assists, in 30 minutes of play so far

the boy is mint

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 31 Jan 2013 10:18

JordCot Let's get things into perspective,for almost that whole first half chelsea looked nothing special. This system is working and I see no reason to start akpan YET. He has only played about 30mins of prem football lets not chuck him in the deep end with a start

Agree 100% with this. Legs might not be playing to his true best but if we are still keeping things solid during games and getting the points as we are at the moment I see no reason to change it. Akpan's time will come to start from the first whistle, its just not yet. He will be a big player for us but I think unless things are going completley wrong for us he will probably be looking at the last twenty minutes or so a lot of the time if we are chasing a goal.

Alfie and Hope combo off the bench is working brilliantly, if this was fifa ultimate team they would make up a fair bit of the team chemistry right now.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Jan 2013 10:45

I "hope" the manager who had the vision to sign Akpan will have the balls to start him on Saturday.

In my view, he has to replace Guthrie. Our bolshy midfielder will need to take it with good grace because the kid from Crawley will have thoroughly deserved it.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 31 Jan 2013 11:22, edited 2 times in total.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 31 Jan 2013 10:46

Leigertwood was about a billions times better than Akpan at Newcastle. Incredible people are now demanding he starts instead of him.

Lovely ball for the first last night though, hats off for that.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Jan 2013 10:46

not yet.way too early imo
keep easing him in.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 31 Jan 2013 11:30

Thank you Sir Coppell, once again you help us out.

Derbyshire Royal

by Derbyshire Royal » 31 Jan 2013 11:37

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Royal Ginger Lovely tackle in their box. Nothing came of it but he was suddenly stood there with it. He's a big unit.

Yes I saw that. Turned a developing counter attack from Chelsea on its head and could've been number 3. (or our first). Alfie's shot was just a yard out.

Akpan is a frikking legend.

Jesus he plays a couple of games and he is already a legend. It would be good to start using that word for those that really are. Akpan looked very good last night, two great assists, but legend? no not yet.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 31 Jan 2013 11:44

ManchesterRoyals
loyalroyal4life drop ledge for akpan

Agree Agree Agree but it wont happen :evil:

Agreed

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 31 Jan 2013 11:55

Lets not get carried away. The major reason for Akpans influence last night was Chelsea shutting down at 2-0. They totally destroyed us from 45 min to their 2nd goal, but Akpan was suddenly given space to work with. I think its harsh to judge the original 3 midfielders as they were faced with composed passing from a team looking worthy European champions whereas for the last 10 mins we were playing a team already on the bus home.

I don't want to take anything away from Akpan because he deserves the plaudits - it was a perfect pass for Alf and he got forward well throughout his cameo. But its harsh to dismiss our starting midfield - yeah all 3 were woeful, but look at what they were up against.

If I were to drop anyoen for him though it would be Guthrie. His passings his only asset and hes struggling with that right now. Our exciting new signings going to take his place though!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 31 Jan 2013 12:12

Guthrie is an interesting one. Clearly has ability
but 12 appearances, one goalkeeper-error goal
and, as yet, no assists.

Akpan looks like he can win the ball, AND make a pass, so that's +1 on Jem

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 31 Jan 2013 12:21

Z175 I think its harsh to judge the original 3 midfielders as they were faced with composed passing from a team looking worthy European champions

Chelsea did not look like worthy European champions at any point in last nights game. HTH

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 31 Jan 2013 12:22

I thought Legs played well last night, the problem was after winning tackles there was nobody to pass to so he invariably lost it. Karacan and Guthrie were pretty anonymous so few apparent mistakes or misplaced passes compared to Ledge.

I'd drop Karacan for Akpan in the Hope that Guthrie can regain some form by playing as he's the most talented midfielder we have.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 31 Jan 2013 12:31

Lets be honest, last night Karacan did what he always does. F*ck all apart from acting like a terrier in the park chasing a tennis ball.

Does a job but he isn't now, nor will he ever be, a premiership quality midfielder. Akpan did more in 30 minutes than Karacan has done in half a season.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Jan 2013 12:58

PieEater I thought Legs played well last night, the problem was after winning tackles there was nobody to pass to so he invariably lost it. Karacan and Guthrie were pretty anonymous so few apparent mistakes or misplaced passes compared to Ledge.

I'd drop Karacan for Akpan in the Hope that Guthrie can regain some form by playing as he's the most talented midfielder we have.

thought guthries petulant tantrum towards ledge last night just before the first goal was bang out of order
ledge stuck his foot in for a tackle on the edge of his own area, won the ball but since it was a tackle it didnt go directly to danny, who turned waved his arms and shouted at him for not making a tackle into an inch perfect pass , while the ball ran to a chelsea player who then had time to look up, and play a pass which ended up in a goal.

if danny had shut the oxf*rd up and closed him down like he should have we could have been 0-0 at half time

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Jan 2013 12:59

winchester_royal Lets be honest, last night Karacan did what he always does. F*ck all apart from acting like a terrier in the park chasing a tennis ball.

Does a job but he isn't now, nor will he ever be, a premiership quality midfielder. Akpan did more in 30 minutes than Karacan has done in half a season.

thats nonsense.

karacan has done way more than that this season.

last night he struggled.but was playing vs one of the best atatcking midfields in world football.
akpan came on for twenty minutes in a game chalsea had all but given up on, and had started to sit back.

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 31 Jan 2013 13:05

melonhead
PieEater I thought Legs played well last night, the problem was after winning tackles there was nobody to pass to so he invariably lost it. Karacan and Guthrie were pretty anonymous so few apparent mistakes or misplaced passes compared to Ledge.

thought guthries petulant tantrum towards ledge last night just before the first goal was bang out of order
ledge stuck his foot in for a tackle on the edge of his own area, won the ball but since it was a tackle it didnt go directly to danny, who turned waved his arms and shouted at him for not making a tackle into an inch perfect pass , while the ball ran to a chelsea player who then had time to look up, and play a pass which ended up in a goal.

if danny had shut the oxf*rd up and closed him down like he should have we could have been 0-0 at half time

Yes,I am glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that. Guthrie screamed for the ball to be played in front of him, Ledge fluffed the pass and Guthrie just stood there watching Chelsea score without making any effort to get involved. Couldn't fathom what he must have been thinking, beyond having a little sulk that got punished.

RoyalTank

by RoyalTank » 31 Jan 2013 13:11

loyalroyal4life drop ledge for akpan

Has everyone forgot that ball from ledge to kebe to set up our first at newcastle?!

akpan had a good 20 mins yesterday but i dont think that he is as good as legs at the moment!

legs offers much more than akpan does, he is our ball winner.

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 31 Jan 2013 13:17

Ledge will be out of his depth trying to stop players like Mata, Oscar, Cazorla, Wilshere (but who wouldn't) and will look ponderous on the ball when he has these athletic, quick and mobile are snapping at his heels. But against players not in that class, Ledge is still capable of producing the goods (as he has shown on more than a few occasions already this season).