1%
Nick Hammond
1%

Total votes: 161
Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Best RFC 'keeper of all time

by Terminal Boardom » 13 Feb 2013 02:53

It is fair to say that Reading have been very fortunate to have had a considerable number of really good keepers on their books. One downside was that when Deathie was at his pomp, we had a more than capable standby in John Turner who played a good number of games in the 75/76 promotion run in.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 13 Feb 2013 06:29

When I first started watching Reading, Death was in goal. He seemed to be there forever and was disappointed when replaced (cannot recall who by though) :oops:
Death was a fantastic keeper who if I recall ended up as a groundsman at Mapledurham golf club.

I did vote for Shaka though as he was class

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 13 Feb 2013 10:47

Terminal Boardom It is fair to say that Reading have been very fortunate to have had a considerable number of really good keepers on their books. One downside was that when Deathie was at his pomp, we had a more than capable standby in John Turner who played a good number of games in the 75/76 promotion run in.

Why is that downside? Surely having 2 good keepers is an upside?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 13 Feb 2013 21:25

bobbybottler What match was it that Steve Death played in during his contract dispute with RFC, and he let him about six goals without trying to save a thing?

Lux if it was Chesterfield (1-7, around 1979), I was there. He did seem to make an effort

No, later, I'm thinking a 6-1er against Hudds. It might have been his last game for us.[/quote]

Yeah the 6-1 defeat was the Huddersfield game 1981/82. There were rumours at the time that Frank Waller was looking to sell any club assets he could (including the club flat where Death lived) to pay off escalating debts.

Death walked out for good after the following game, a 3-3 draw v Donny which was his last, which meant the game after V Swindon at home the club had no fit keepers on the books and had to call up a keeper I think from Andover Town.

The Royal

by The Royal » 13 Feb 2013 21:54

Never saw Steve Death play, but my grandad assures me he was the greatest by a country mile. From the ones I've seen, it has to be Shaka.

Quote " In a poll to compile the Royals' greatest-ever XI, Hislop was voted the best goalkeeper with 46.7% of the vote ahead of Steve Death and Marcus Hahnemann.[2] He was also voted joint third along with Death in a poll to decide the club's 'Player of the Millenium "

John Peel

by John Peel » 14 Feb 2013 00:02

Where's Chris Woods?? Not the best but should on the short list.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 14 Feb 2013 02:06

Scutterbucketz Who was the chap who we had on loan and then he went on to play for Man City?

Not our best but he was good.

Tommy Wright! I can't believe you bastards made me look up the answer to my own question.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 14 Feb 2013 02:18

West Stand Man
Terminal Boardom It is fair to say that Reading have been very fortunate to have had a considerable number of really good keepers on their books. One downside was that when Deathie was at his pomp, we had a more than capable standby in John Turner who played a good number of games in the 75/76 promotion run in.

Why is that downside? Surely having 2 good keepers is an upside?

This was in the days when only one substitute was allowed. It wasn't until the 90s that 3 subs were allowed and one was generally a goalkeeper. Deathie's record was astonishing and his fitness never in question until the latter days of his career. Perhaps what went against him was that he spent much of his career in Division 4.

Spud Gun
Location: I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you ...

by Spud Gun » 14 Feb 2013 10:31

I'm not sure what's funnier ... the name "Bobby Mihilovic" or the fact that 2 people have voted for him so far :lol:

Borislav Mikhailov was one of the worst keepers I have ever seen play for Reading, and I had the misfortune to watch Simon Sheppard.

Shaka was the best I have seen by far so he gets my vote.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 14 Feb 2013 10:33

Scutterbucketz
Scutterbucketz Who was the chap who we had on loan and then he went on to play for Man City?

Not our best but he was good.

Tommy Wright! I can't believe you bastards made me look up the answer to my own question.

page one mate :roll: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=117642&sid=b4547ba7f0766339f14d405d83b756f5#p3591168

Hertfordshire Royal

by Hertfordshire Royal » 14 Feb 2013 13:00

Steve Mautone

'Stevo's better than Bosnich'

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 14 Feb 2013 13:08

Steve Death and Shaka Hislop were both great keepers for Reading.

Shaka gets my vote because he was superb in one on one situations with the opposition strikers and normally the winner.

Steve Death considering his height did not lack courage.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Feb 2013 13:34

The Real Sandhurst Royal Steve Death and Shaka Hislop were both great keepers for Reading.

Shaka gets my vote because he was superb in one on one situations with the opposition strikers and normally the winner.

I seem to remember Steve Death being very similar in that respect?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Feb 2013 16:05

Shaka was incredible.

Marcus was similarly incredible.

I'd probably go with Shaka because he was better at dealing with crosses and high balls.

McCarthy has the ability to go beyond either of them though.

Mary Hinge

by Mary Hinge » 14 Feb 2013 21:40

royals6719 Seen the greats, ie Deathie, Shaka, Stevie Francis, USA and the not so greats Ronnie Fearon (omg), Tin Tin Hammond (nearly as small as Deathie) and think Shaka is No1 - whoever was at The Valley when Osborn scored that wonderful volley will not forget Shaka's one on one save when score was one all - that was World class.

Deathie/USA/Francis all great in their own ways - 2-3 defeat at Stamford Bridge in League Cup showed Francis' agility, Deathie had glue stuck to that green top as balls always ended up there and USA was superb in a time when our beloved RFC which the dizzy heights for the first time. They were all great in their own way.

One post script is statistically one player that never let in a goal in a Reading goalie shirt was Trevor senior, so ..............

What about Danny Honey

dean horrix legend

by dean horrix legend » 15 Feb 2013 13:52

Goalkeepers of the past had a much harder time of it then the modern keeper. Goalkeepers are so protected nowadays,Death and Francis (and Westwood) never had that protection.

My vote goes to Steve Death.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 15 Feb 2013 19:57

Mike Dixon , I remember as a kid he worked also in the Post Office in Tilehurst as well as being Reading's keeper , most won't have clue what I'm on about

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Feb 2013 20:11

Gunny Fishcake Mike Dixon , I remember as a kid he worked also in the Post Office in Tilehurst as well as being Reading's keeper , most won't have clue what I'm on about

Somewhere in one of the boxes we've got from our last house move I've got a brilliant picture of a Mike Dixon save against Dagenham in a Cup game in the 60's

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Feb 2013 20:14

Yes we have been blessed.

But it all starts and ends with Steve Death for me.

Good shouts for Francis and Westwood amongst the "obviouses" tho'