Team for Wigan

Lovely hot donuts!
Location: Lower Earley and/or Birmingham. Feckless student. Twitter: @RussellLParker

Re: Team for Wigan

by Lovely hot donuts! » 21 Feb 2013 18:24

RockheadRumple Same team as the one against Sunderland, I reckon, since that was pretty much our best performance of the season.

-------------Federici------------

Kelly - Pearce - Mariappa - Harte

----------Leigertwood-----------

Kebe - Akpan - McAnuff - McLeary

-----------Pogrebnyak-----------

I'm slightly worried, however, that McD might go 442 after a decent display vs Manchester United...

Yeah, I totally agree this would be the best. Earlier in this thread people said we should go 4-4-2 over 4-5-1 because we need to go more attacking but IMO this version of 4-5-1 that we used against Sunderland is just as, if not a bit more, attacking than our 4-4-2 system.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 21 Feb 2013 19:53

RockheadRumple Same team as the one against Sunderland, I reckon, since that was pretty much our best performance of the season.

-------------Federici------------

Kelly - Pearce - Mariappa - Harte

----------Leigertwood-----------

Kebe - Akpan - McAnuff - McLeary

-----------Pogrebnyak-----------

I'm slightly worried, however, that McD might go 442 after a decent display vs Manchester United...

I am sure that if they are all fit that this will be close to the team selected - although Karacan might come back in for Akpan or Legs (if he is injured).

jonboy29red

by jonboy29red » 21 Feb 2013 20:11

saw the pog today in dunden

jellytot

by jellytot » 21 Feb 2013 22:46

Think 4-4-2 would be silly as Wigan are a good passing team. Stick to 4-5-1 and put Jobi out wide with Jem coming in. Hope stays in. Hope Kebe is fit!!! We really need him for the next month or so if we are to stay up.

Pog to start up front. Start fast and get the crowd behind us.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 22 Feb 2013 00:35

I will be disappointed if we go with Ledge, Turk and Akpan in midfield. I'd stick with Jobi in the attacking midfield role he adopted against Sunderland, as he gives that attacking option running beyond the back four the others don't. The big question for me yet again is where is our star signing?

So 4-5-1, stick with the Sunderland team, it was our last win.

One thing is for sure, we need to impose ourselves on the game and not sit back and let Wigan play.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 22 Feb 2013 00:43

Scarface One thing is for sure, we need to impose ourselves on the game and not sit back and let Wigan play.

I'm not so sure we do. Inviting Wigan on isn't a bad idea. They play 3 at the back so will be naturally more susceptible to a quick counter.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 22 Feb 2013 08:21

Royal Ginger
Scarface One thing is for sure, we need to impose ourselves on the game and not sit back and let Wigan play.

I'm not so sure we do. Inviting Wigan on isn't a bad idea. They play 3 at the back so will be naturally more susceptible to a quick counter.

But we make very few chances with 4-5-1. In fact, most games we make next to no chances until the final 20 minutes when we throw the kitchen sink at it. Sitting back is exactly what we'll end up doing, but not necessarily through choice, but through our lack of ability to get forward and support our lone striker.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 22 Feb 2013 09:12

.................Feds....................

Kelly Pearce Marriapa Harte

....... Karacan Ledge Akpan.......

Mcanuff Pog HRK

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Feb 2013 10:35

loyalroyal4life
sandman :|

Leigertwood's just finding some form and you want to drop him?

He has had all season to find form, dont think you can class a couple of ok games as finding form. Most people class finding form as playing better than his diabolical performances previously.

Jem>>Ledge

Legs started terribly but he's much much better now and his strength and tackling is crucial to us. He also knows how to keep our shape. Karacan has been distinctly mediocre all season. About all he offers is running around getting out of position. His passing goes less spectacularly wrong but it also goes less well and he has a lot fewer touches.

Our midfield is really Legs or Carrico. One or two of Akpan, Karacan and Guthrie. Or McAnuff instead of one of them in a more advanced role.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 23 Feb 2013 12:21

Pearce dropped for Morrison.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 23 Feb 2013 12:34

AirRaidSiren Pearce dropped for Morrison.

? :|

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 23 Feb 2013 12:36

Federici

Harte
Pearce
Mariappa
Kelly

McAnuff
Akpan
Karacan
Guthrie
Kebe

Pog

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 23 Feb 2013 12:36

AirRaidSiren Pearce dropped for Morrison.

Why? He's been our player of the season (again)

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 23 Feb 2013 13:06

winchester_royal
Colin Cheeselog
winchester_royal That you believe Noel Hunt to be more of a goal threat than Pog. The same Noel Hunt with 2 goals from 17 appearances this season, and 8 goals from 41 appearances in the Championship last season. That you believe Noel Hunt would be able to hold the ball up better than Pog despite that fact that our big fcuking Russian has been an absolute titan in that respect over the past few games and Hunt has the touch of a rapist. That you believe Noel's style of movement which is 'stay offside and hope the lino doesn't notice' would be at all useful when playing 4-5-1.. etc.

The thing is though, he really isn't that big, commanding or intimidating, not compared to most centre backs. You may think he's been "a titan", but personally I think he's pretty poor in the air. He's very good at backing into defenders then falling over, or throwing his hands in the air and looking at the ref, but he really doesn't win that many headers. I believe Hunt is better in the air than Pog.

I'm not saying Hunt is an outstanding candidate to play upfront in a 4-51, I think he's a relatively poor option, but I do think he's a better option than Pog.

I didn't say Pog was particularly good in the air, but there isn't any point in being good in the air when you have nobody around to flick the ball on to. Pog is excellent at holding the ball up for a few seconds while midfielders try and join him or winning a free-kick. Personally I can't see Noel doing that effectively. Yes, Noel is the best we have in the air, but on the ground he is an exceptionally limited footballer.

Noel does great back flips.

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 23 Feb 2013 19:39

winchester_royal
Colin Cheeselog Personally i'd like to see Hunt play ahead of Pog. I know Pog ‘does a job’ for the team, and undoubtedly since he came back in and we changed formation we have been better. BUT, i personally think Pog doesn’t actually play the ‘big man’ role very well. He doesn’t win many headers, his control isn’t great, he doesn’t appear to give defenders a particularly hard time, and he hasn’t really looked like scoring in a quite a few games.

I think Hunt is better in the air, can hold the ball up better, is quicker, closes down defenders and defends from the front better, and his movement and agility means he’s looks more likely to score.

Bring on the inevitable abuse...

No abuse, just total incredulity.

:shock:

Hunt's better at tackling too...