In your heart, do you think we are already down...?

Does any part of you still cling to the tiniest hope that we won't be relegated?

Yep, we're f*cked so enjoy the ride back to the Championship
73%
No, I still retain belief and hope that Brian, Jobi and the boys can pull off a miracle...
27%

Total votes: 240
Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

Re: In your heart, do you think we are already down...?

by Big Ern » 02 Mar 2013 13:32

I am quite envious of those who still think we have a fighting chance of staying up, however I fear it is more out of blind hope that reality.

Fact is, we have failed to beat a single team convincingly in the league all season. We have not won a league game by more than 1 goal all season and when we have won, we were dominated for large periods of the games and could be considered fortunate by many for holding on or snatching it. In reality, we need 5 more wins in the next 11 games at least to give ourselves a fighting chance of staying up. So far it has taken 27 games to achieve that tally. I simply cannot see this squad or manager capable of producing the sort of upturn in form required.

As always, I would love to be proved wrong, but there is simply no evidence to suggest we are going to be able to turn our fortunes around so dramatically.

BenSmith91

by BenSmith91 » 02 Mar 2013 13:52

Big Ern I am quite envious of those who still think we have a fighting chance of staying up, however I fear it is more out of blind hope that reality.

Fact is, we have failed to beat a single team convincingly in the league all season. We have not won a league game by more than 1 goal all season and when we have won, we were dominated for large periods of the games and could be considered fortunate by many for holding on or snatching it. In reality, we need 5 more wins in the next 11 games at least to give ourselves a fighting chance of staying up. So far it has taken 27 games to achieve that tally. I simply cannot see this squad or manager capable of producing the sort of upturn in form required.

As always, I would love to be proved wrong, but there is simply no evidence to suggest we are going to be able to turn our fortunes around so dramatically.

Regrettably you are so right. Well said.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 02 Mar 2013 14:27

Big Ern I am quite envious of those who still think we have a fighting chance of staying up, however I fear it is more out of blind hope that reality.

All true, but given that other teams around us are in the same position - i.e. in terms of number of games they 'need' to win - we have a fighting chance; same chance as us winning the Championship at the end of the season when we were mid-table around Xmas ... but I agree that in my heart, I'm pretty resigned to the fact that it's unlikely.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 02 Mar 2013 14:37

Royalwaster

All true, but given that other teams around us are in the same position - i.e. in terms of number of games they 'need' to win - we have a fighting chance; same chance as us winning the Championship at the end of the season when we were mid-table around Xmas ... but I agree that in my heart, I'm pretty resigned to the fact that it's unlikely.

When one of those teams around us beats us so convincingly like last week, it s hard for even the most optimistic supporter to have hope. We have also lost ,albeit away, to all but one of the teams we are fighting to stay up with so. You are right though about not being out of it yet, still hard to see where the improvement will come from.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 02 Mar 2013 14:44

Looking at the starting line up today we are in for a pretty horrible end of season.

Sure these players will work their socks off for each other but the lack of quality gets exposed in this league. We'll get a few wins through pure grit and determination, probably enough grit and determination to get promoted from the championship which will also be enough to get relegated from the Prem.

Unfortunately the words loyalty, budget and Premier league are not often found in the same sentence. I suppose as a Reading fan it's which of those words is most important to us. I do think however we can feel a little short changed this year.

redscot

by redscot » 02 Mar 2013 14:48

I thought QPR had quality, they seem exposed down there at the bottom....

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 02 Mar 2013 14:49

We do have a chance of staying up & it's not blind hope. There are at least 3 other teams in just as much sh1te as us.

We played very well in the Sunderland fixture, our best performance of the season in fact. 2 or 3 replicas of that performance plus a few backs to the wall points thrown in for good measure & we could get over the line.

We are always crap in the must win games so I think we should be thankful we have a tough run in as it will heighten their concentration. Last year we had the toughest run in on paper, everyone said we'd balls it up & we won the bloody league.

It is far from over & I find it so sad that people are just giving up with 11 games left.

Lets have a bit of positivity for a change. What good does moaning, moping, slagging Brian & the players off do? I'll tell you what - absolutely fcuk all - it just spreads negative vibes around the club & becomes a self fulfilling prophecy in the end.

We were all over the moon a month ago. We've since lost 2 league games & everyone is slitting their wrists all of sudden - Why?? Surely those of sound mind realise things don't change that much over 2 games?!

Get behind them FFS.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 02 Mar 2013 14:53

redscot I thought QPR had quality, they seem exposed down there at the bottom....

To be honest with the exception of a couple of players I don't really look at them and think, Wow what quality. In agreement with your point though I did look at much of the Wigan line up last week with a certain amout of envy.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 02 Mar 2013 16:06

Just reading the BBC website Reading are the only Premiership side not to have keep a clean sheet away all season....all bodes well for that miraculous escape.

Waylenstreet

by Waylenstreet » 02 Mar 2013 16:32

We've gone.
The focus now should be on the whole ownership fog. What is their intention ? How serious are they ?

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 02 Mar 2013 16:40

while mathematically there is still a chance, last weeks result was massive and I feel will have had a huge impact on defining the outcome of our season

Forest Gump

by Forest Gump » 02 Mar 2013 16:51

I think Brian must have voted no several times which is why it appears that some people have hope of a miracle.
The thing is that the reason we are going down is that BMcD is deluded.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 02 Mar 2013 16:56

weybridgewanderer while mathematically there is still a chance, last weeks result was massive and I feel will have had a huge impact on defining the outcome of our season

Could be overtaken by a defeat to Villa next week. That really would demostrate we cannot compete with the teams around us. Loe to Villa next week and we will go into freefall and would not be surprised to see QPR overtake us.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 02 Mar 2013 16:57

Big Ern
weybridgewanderer while mathematically there is still a chance, last weeks result was massive and I feel will have had a huge impact on defining the outcome of our season

Could be overtaken by a defeat to Villa next week. That really would demostrate we cannot compete with the teams around us. Loe to Villa next week and we will go into freefall and would not be surprised to see QPR overtake us.

I do agree. Villa really is must win. No fcuking about!

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 02 Mar 2013 17:05

We're going to finish last.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Mar 2013 17:12

maffff We're going to finish last.

starting to look that way.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 02 Mar 2013 17:15

maffff We're going to finish last.

Been convinced of this since the defeat away to Sunderland.

JordCot

by JordCot » 02 Mar 2013 17:16

MmmMonsterMunch We were all over the moon a month ago. We've since lost 2 league games & everyone is slitting their wrists all of sudden - Why?? Surely those of sound mind realise things don't change that much over 2 games?!

Three losses, in a row.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 02 Mar 2013 17:19

JordCot
MmmMonsterMunch We were all over the moon a month ago. We've since lost 2 league games & everyone is slitting their wrists all of sudden - Why?? Surely those of sound mind realise things don't change that much over 2 games?!

Three losses, in a row.

March was always going to be sh1t though. My god what will HNA be like in 3 weeks time?! :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Mar 2013 17:19

JordCot

Three losses, in a row.

four including the cup.