Thank you Brian!

yappy

Re: Thank you Brian!

by yappy » 11 Mar 2013 19:41

SLAMMED This time last year we were outside the playoffs...

Thanks Brian.

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/fixtures-results/match-report/index.aspx?matchid=3409231

On the 10th March we went level with West Ham in 2nd :S

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 11 Mar 2013 19:53

Thanks for the memories. Some great times. It's been emotional.

All the best for the future.

Hope he gets the ROI job soon.

Christof

by Christof » 11 Mar 2013 19:55

Brian McDermott, Steve Coppell, Maurice Evans, the 3 best managers in my Reading FC history. Brian, you deserve your place at the top table.

Thanks for the memories as mentioned by others, especially that run against West Ham, Brighton and Southampton last season, possibly the finest 3 awaydays in recent memory.

I only hope that the club will always welcome you back to the Madejski as you were welcomed back at Slough Town recently - the word legend has been devalued through inappropriate use and overuse on false idols, celebrities and other assorted arseholes, but it seems to fit here.

I don't like modern football.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 11 Mar 2013 19:56

Good luck Brian.

You deserved so much better than this.

Hope you find a good club soon and thank you for all you have done for us.

cpmurph

by cpmurph » 11 Mar 2013 19:57

maffff

Double this, am Irish and think he would be much better than Trap.

This is really sad... :cry:

Western Royal

by Western Royal » 11 Mar 2013 20:08

Brian got more out of a squad of players than any other Reading manager; quite how someone who spoke so quietly and avoided eye contact managed to create a team that never knew it was beated I'll never know. saved us from Brendan's mess; 2 FA Cup quarters; the championship; play-off final; so many great memories. I'm was looking forward to see what he could do with the last 9 games of this season - he hasn't had a bad end to a season yet. Brian deserved more loyalty than this, but that doesn't seem to be in the vocabulary of current chairmen. A great man manager and a great scout, we'll miss him and live to regret this decision.

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 11 Mar 2013 20:54

Western Royal Brian got more out of a squad of players than any other Reading manager; quite how someone who spoke so quietly and avoided eye contact managed to create a team that never knew it was beated I'll never know. saved us from Brendan's mess; 2 FA Cup quarters; the championship; play-off final; so many great memories. I'm was looking forward to see what he could do with the last 9 games of this season - he hasn't had a bad end to a season yet. Brian deserved more loyalty than this, but that doesn't seem to be in the vocabulary of current chairmen. A great man manager and a great scout, we'll miss him and live to regret this decision.

Gone get over it move on Next please

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 11 Mar 2013 20:56

cpmurph
maffff

Double this, am Irish and think he would be much better than Trap.

This is really sad... :cry:

Good idea get him over there out of the way

Glory Boy

by Glory Boy » 11 Mar 2013 21:08

Could have waited till at least October to see how he would fare in the Championship. Real sad news. Good luck Brian.

Kingsley Junior

by Kingsley Junior » 11 Mar 2013 21:11

Legen.... wait for it... dary!

Didn't think I'd love another manager as much as I did Sir Stevie Coppell but then Brian came along... thank you Brian, and best wishes.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 11 Mar 2013 21:16

maffff

Going to hang it on my wall.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 11 Mar 2013 21:19

You have been a great Reading manager Brian, I'd say the best. I remember when you were given the caretaker role that pretty much the whole of this board were mocking you and calling you names but I just had a feeling that you were going to do a good job. As it is I was wrong, You did a great job!

Beating Liverpool at Anfield and the run that followed, the decision to build the team around Gylfi when the previous manager had no idea what to do with him and saving us from relegation was nothing short of a miracle. Then in the Summer you had him taken away from you, a running theme, but you soldiered on and built another team based around Shane Long a player that many felt you were too loyal to but a player who repaid that loyalty over and over helping us to the play off final. One cruel loss in that final followed by another one in losing Longy yet once again you got on with it, built your third team and sent us on that amazing run to win the league.

This season has been a disappointment but I firmly believe that no one could get anymore out of the team than you and even if the seemingly inevitable happened you should've been the one to get us back up.

I had hoped with a new owner that the trend of losing your best players would cease and you would get the financial backing that you didn't have before, unfortunately only one of those things happened and you were only given the backing when the new owner panicked in the last few days of January.

Best of luck and thanks for the memories, you'll be sorely missed.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 11 Mar 2013 21:29

Desperately disappointed for Brian this evening. He's a genuine nice guy, and this will no doubt hurt him! Sadly though I think it was the right time. A slow start next season, and the loss of a very important pre-season, and he would have gone anyway, and it could be even more costly for the club then. At least this way the incoming manager, whom ever that may be, gets a full pre-season and transfer window to do what ever he can with what he inherits.

Perhaps Brian will get a shot at the Republic of Ireland job soon, with GT coming under fire recently. Leeds too are rumoured to be close to losing patience with Neil Warnock. He certainly wont be short of admirers wanting him at their clubs.

Thank you for everything you have done for us, both as a scout and a manager. Without Brian McDermott we wouldn't have seen any Premier League football at all, such is the importance of his roles at this club. He can go with his head held high, and feel very proud of his achievements here.

Now we have to hope his successor doesn't take us down the Wolves route.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 11 Mar 2013 21:33

yappy
SLAMMED This time last year we were outside the playoffs...

Thanks Brian.

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/fixtures-results/match-report/index.aspx?matchid=3409231

On the 10th March we went level with West Ham in 2nd :S

I couldn't be bothered to look it up to be honest. Must have been right at the end of our 8 game winning streak?

It was only a month before that we were 7th though.

by 666 » 11 Mar 2013 21:34

Farewell Brian. A Reading legend of the last 13 years and never again will a man with a head that looks so much like an egg and a thumb at the same time manage Reading FC. :( Shocked he didn't get (at least) until the end of this season...

barelylubedcock

by barelylubedcock » 11 Mar 2013 21:38

Maguire FAO BRIAN - if you're reading this and you fancy going out and getting completely shitfaced in Reading this week then let me know and they are on me.

Fancy the Fox and Hounds for the United game seeing as you won't be there?

This might be the gayest post ever but reading that made me well up. Because that's what I want to do. I am actually gutted.

Easily my favourite manager, for that feeling at HT vs Villa, for Liverpool and Everton away, for the run of games in Spring 2012, for not being your usual touchline fodder. Not the best, but definitely the one I will remember most fondly.

friday fan

the ex manager, the players,the fans

by friday fan » 11 Mar 2013 22:22

firstly i would like to thank Brian for another crack in the premier league, a fantastic effort considering the wealth or lack off to achieve this. I hope Brian finds his niche and a chairman who will respect his efforts.

Secondly the players. I think most of them have played to their limits and beyond and the gulf in class between the championship and premier league has found them out and when time runs out with squeeky bum time here we are floundering. Sure some players have been booed but to be fair they can't compete with the riches of this league - an act most fans I'm sure will agree.

Fans get to the stage where enough is enough, the manger and players are frontline and are the first to get the impact - the boardroom sit in the shadows, make the decisions and give the reasons. I would advise the boardroom to support the new manager and put the money where their mouth is as I am sure the right money was not available last August. It is nice to hear other fans on Sky Sports supporting Brian, in my view he should have been given until the end of the season. One important issue is, who invited Dicanio to the Villa game, one might perhaps conclude that Brian's time was up prior to that game, win or lose. All the best Brian and thanks for a championship that I never expected :)

Perhaps a new thread not needed but I feel there is more than meets the eye over this sacking, by the way did Sir John not have a comment to make or is silence golden?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Re: the ex manager, the players,the fans

by WoodleyRoyal » 11 Mar 2013 22:25

:|

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Mar 2013 22:37

Shocked and very much saddened by this. Shocked because I didn't expect it to happen at this time. Sad that Brian's time at the club had to end like this. He did do so much for us and gave us so many great times for which I genuinely thank him.

Sadly, however, this season and the PL seemed to be just one step too far for him and the worrying thing was that he increasingly seemed lost as to what to do about it. I suspect his January signings just added to the doubts that those above him were beginning to have.

In the end, I feel that the decision is for the best. It was almost a case of putting him out of his misery. The situation was rapidly deteriorating for everyone concerned. Pressure on the team and Brian was beginning to increase significantly. On Saturday he was very upset at his players being jeered and it then can not have been pleasant for him to watch MOTD have a good laugh at his team's expense. It would have been dreadful had the point finally been reached when the crowd really started shouting for Brian's dismissal during matches.

I'm sure some on here will have a go about crocodile tears etc. I am not going to hide, nor am I ashamed of the fact that I questionned whether he should remain as our manager. That doesn't mean that I can't acknowledge and be grateful for so much of what he did for the club during his time at Reading FC. It is just unfortunate that things had to end this way. A while back I said it would be ideal if a situation could be created whereby he could move into another role at the club and remain a hero. Sadly that was an unrealistic hope.

However, it would be nice to put aside all the bad events and memories of this season and remember him as the hero that he was.

A genuinely nice guy who defied all of the odds and with very limited financial backing from above somehow got us into the Premier League for only the second time in the club's history.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

Re: the ex manager, the players,the fans

by southbank1871 » 11 Mar 2013 22:37

friday fan Perhaps a new thread not needed

Spot on.