Someone Else
29%

Total votes: 297
stickywhisky

Re: Poll -next manager

by stickywhisky » 13 Mar 2013 11:17

Eaststandman
Uke
Eaststandman AZ for manager would be sweet revenge for BM, real players, crossing the real white line, playing real football, for real points! It would serve him right, a bit like all the 'Johnny Come Lately' experts who pontificate about how the game should be played and by whom and how BM got it so, so very wrong. Based presumably on fantasy football or league manager success and dextrous thumbs! :roll:

He may have played a game in the park once too.

Expect the introduction of a rush goalie as a tactic

"Jumpers for goalposts" 17 a side, rush goalies and a scuffed leather ball.......those were the days! :lol:

Yes they were, scramble keepers!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Mar 2013 12:14

melonhead
Ian Royal
Z175 I don't get why a third of people want Adkins when half were happy to hound poor Brian out. Who won the championship? And who spent 35million this year?

He's won three promotions, survived one relegation with a club most would have written off, was looking like he had a good chance of surviving another - doing a better job than McDermott was at the same level and has been involved in a third he lost. His sides play decent football. He's intelligent and he's articulate. He's worked his way up to become a manager and he should understand fitness and injuries from his time as a physio.

He's free at the moment and he'll bring new perspective.

And Brian wasn't hounded out. There only seemed to be significant boos starting in the last two or three games.

lol at that last sentence.
yes, there were significant boos in the last couple of games, and then he was sacked.
why is it you cant see that as some sort of link?

also lol at adkins doing a much better job than brian.
he spent 35 million quid. id oxf*rd well hope so

I didn't say there wasn't a link. I said he wasn't hounded out. He was given far more support than most managers get and it was his poor performance that lead to the fans just starting to turn against him. He'd already said he was under a lot of pressure, so the combination of losing two must win games and losing the fans meant his position was untenable. In no way was that hounding him out. Kean was hounded out. Benitez is being hounded out. Completely different.

Also, I never said Adkins did a much better job than Brian. I said he did a better job. And he did. Saints adapted better to the PL and performed better than Reading in the PL under him. If that's not a better job, I don't know what is. Yes, he spent a lot of money. Because he recognised his squad needed it. Did he spend it brilliantly? No, not really. But at least he recognised the need to spend and try to improve his squad. Something Brian singularly failed with.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 13 Mar 2013 12:15

at no point did i mention hounding out

i still think that when you compared budgets brian did a better job

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Mar 2013 12:17

melonhead at no point did i mention hounding out

i still think that when you compared budgets brian did a better job

No but you took issue with me arguing he wasn't hounded out because someone else said it.

:lol: better job! Utter failure is a better job than marginal success just because utter failure was bought with a quarter of the money? Do me a favour.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 13 Mar 2013 12:25

didnt.

when i said last sentence. i clearly meant the last sentence
There only seemed to be significant boos starting in the last two or three games.

and the difference in league position between the two teams, does not justify the 30 million extra spent imo
therefore........

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 13 Mar 2013 12:26

Ian Royal Yes, he spent a lot of money. Because he recognised his squad needed it. Did he spend it brilliantly? No, not really. But at least he recognised the need to spend and try to improve his squad. Something Brian singularly failed with.

It's this kind of comment which amazes me. He did better because he spent money, even though he didn't spend it well? Really? REALLY?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Mar 2013 18:11

mr_number
Ian Royal Yes, he spent a lot of money. Because he recognised his squad needed it. Did he spend it brilliantly? No, not really. But at least he recognised the need to spend and try to improve his squad. Something Brian singularly failed with.

It's this kind of comment which amazes me. He did better because he spent money, even though he didn't spend it well? Really? REALLY?

He did better because his team did better.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Mar 2013 11:14

:| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Mar 2013 11:17

melonhead and the difference in league position between the two teams, does not justify the 30 million extra spent imo
therefore........

But come the end of the season the difference in league position is potentially worth 60m..... therefore......

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Mar 2013 11:36

lets see if they stay up first.

and if they do, its down to the new bloke :lol: :lol: :lol:

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Mar 2013 11:37

melonhead lets see if they stay up first.

and if they do, its down to the new bloke :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm working on the basis that if they stay up Adkins laid the foundations, and if they go down Pinocchio destroyed them. :lol:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Mar 2013 11:39

:lol:
ok, thats fair

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Mar 2013 11:47

I'm not convinced Graham Poll is the man for the job either.

fruits

by fruits » 14 Mar 2013 12:17

What a boring list,and none of them really an improvement on McDermott- apart from this lot of also rans there is one name that stands out to me, in football, Manuel Pelligrini, presently manager of Malaga CF. I know he has never worked in Britain but his record is fantastic.

In case the link below doesn´t work just Google, Manuel Pellegrini. It is a long report but interesting and I reckon we should pressure the club to contact him. A stumbling block will be that Malaga beat Oporto last night so are still in Europe. I think it would be best to let Dolan act as caretaker until the end of the season anyway, as we are down and out. Pelligrini would not be too proud to manage a Championship side, when he took over at Malaga they looked likely to go down to the Spanish Second Division.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Pellegrini

The man is a genius,what he has done at Villareal and Malaga is nothing short of miraculous. I know he was sacked by Real Madrid, but that was only to let the "Special One" in.
The recent history of Malaga cf, makes interesting reading he has had to sell players like Cazorla,Monreal ,Rondon etc and they still qualify for the final eight of the European Cup. He speaks perfect English, I watch Malaga a lot and at times they resemble Barcelona ,SO NO LONG BALL RUBBISH. He has been extremely loyal to Malaga who have treated him really badly by selling players for large amounts to pay debts and he has signed players like de la Cruz, Saviola who were not exactly setting the world alight at their former clubs . The players seem to love him, due to the debts it´s possible even if Malaga finish in the top four of La Liga they will be banned from playing in Europe next season,so if we could prise him away playing in Europe would not be a barrier. I know he is 59 but seems to have an appetite of someone 10 years younger.

Before the usual knockers on this site shoot me down in flames, "he wouldn´t come, money could be a problem, he´s too old, he´s from Chile so supported Pinochet and we don´t want anyone like that in the club,Malaga is a large city he wouldn´t come to a small town like Reading" - Villarreal´s population is a third of Reading´s !!-look at the man´s record.

In two words his record is- Very Impressive. His teams play really attractive football, lots of neat triangles and a fantastic defence. Malaga beat Real Madrid at home and nearly beat Barcelona in the Cup.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Mar 2013 12:19

will be managing at one of the worlds massive clubs in the near future imo

would love him to come here.
but lets be a little bit realistic.

reckon we could probably gazump bayern for pep if we really wanted

Melton Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Melton, New York, Paris & Dubai - but mostly Melton and just outside the lockdown zone

by Melton Royal » 14 Mar 2013 12:34

Saw Phil Brown on the telly yesterday and had forgotten about his exploits at Hull - don't think anyone's mentioned him yet but could be worth a try

TTC

by TTC » 14 Mar 2013 12:34

I can't see Advicaat joining, isn't he at PSV Eindhoven?

Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

by Badger Finger » 14 Mar 2013 12:36

Melton Royal Saw Phil Brown on the telly yesterday and had forgotten about his exploits at Hull - don't think anyone's mentioned him yet but could be worth a try

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Mar 2013 12:38

melonhead reckon we could probably gazump bayern for pep if we really wanted

He doesn't start until next season. Should take control of us for the 8 games after Man U until the end of the season, just so he doesn't forget how to manage in the interim.

the taphouse

by the taphouse » 14 Mar 2013 13:08

di canio for me ,got swindon fired up playing decent football.we need someone with the fire.in.the.belly 2 stick a rocket up numerous backsides!

123 posts