Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

2614 posts
Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Next Reading Manager

by Scutterbucketz » 13 Mar 2013 22:21

They chose a new Pope in less than 48 Hours! What the fukk is going on?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Mar 2013 22:42

Ian Royal Anyone who can't admit that Adkins' CV is very impressive is mental.

In just over six seasons of management he's achieved 3 promotions, two of which were back to back with the same team. He's won 1 relegation battle he was expected to lose, lost another he was expected to lose and been on track to win another. He's done it with a fairly big club with money and he's done it with a small club without money. He's been sacked once and that was a dubious decision.

His record is P 323, W 150, D 69, L 104. That's a 46.4% win percentage. That's excellent.

This.

Curbs>Adkins for me but still I agree, a good post.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Mar 2013 22:47

I know he's not coming but just to stop Reading fans talking sh*t, lets take back some of the BS about Di Canio.

The player who-

Rather than scoring a goal decided to catch the ball and stop play because the opposition keeper was injured

The manager who-

Offered to spend £30000 of his own money to pay for players wages the board couldn't afford

Stays up all night allegedly clearing the ground of snow so his side could play the next day, buying pizza for fans who helped him out.

--

The guy's a nutter yes, but it works both ways. And if anyone thinks doing a Nazi salute means you're a racist you don't understand racism. There are more fans clearly bitterly racist on this very forum and even in my civilised educated place of work than some eccentric guy who does a few silly things.

Just in defence of the loon, in case he ever does join us.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 13 Mar 2013 22:54

In just over six seasons of management he's achieved 3 promotions, two of which were back to back with the same team. He's won 1 relegation battle he was expected to lose, lost another he was expected to lose and been on track to win another. He's done it with a fairly big club with money and he's done it with a small club without money. He's been sacked once and that was a dubious decision.

His record is P 323, W 150, D 69, L 104. That's a 46.4% win percentage. That's excellent.

He has to be the obvious choice with records like that. He has done it in the championship as well, so I can't see us doing a Wolves with him in charge.

But he wants to take Southampton to court to get his money and signing with us would prevent that from happening. Maybe we could get some pre-contract sorted!

E. Andrew

by E. Andrew » 13 Mar 2013 23:00

2 world wars, 1 world cup

This.

Curbs>Adkins for me but still I agree, a good post.

Yes, well said.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 13 Mar 2013 23:20

I really hope we get Adkins, in his short career he has already achieved 4 promotions. He took Scunthorpe (a very small club) up to the Championship in 06/07, and when they went down the following season, he took them straight back up via the playoffs. He managed to keep them up in 09/10 before joining Southampton and gaining two successive promotions. The guy was a physio at Scunny before he got the mangers job, he has done brilliantly. I would be delighted if he was our new boss. That record speaks for itself and whats more, he had Saints playing good football ,which in that respect is far more than McD did for us.

At least next season, we could be playing good football and go back up. In fact I would rather we didnt go up and played good football, than get promoted playing as we have. Because as we have seen, it just doesn't work and shows we are not ready/good enough. Just as long as its not fcuking shite to watch I'll be happy.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 13 Mar 2013 23:27

RoyallyFcuked I really hope we get Adkins, in his short career he has already achieved 4 promotions. He took Scunthorpe (a very small club) up to the Championship in 06/07, and when they went down the following season, he took them straight back up via the playoffs. He managed to keep them up in 09/10 before joining Southampton and gaining two successive promotions. The guy was a physio at Scunny before he got the mangers job, he has done brilliantly. I would be delighted if he was our new boss. That record speaks for itself and whats more, he had Saints playing good football ,which in that respect is far more than McD did for us.

At least next season, we could be playing good football and go back up. In fact I would rather we didnt go up and played good football, than get promoted playing as we have. Because as we have seen, it just doesn't work and shows we are not ready/good enough. Just as long as its not fcuking shite to watch I'll be happy.

I'd happily take another play-off defeat with Adkins in charge playing attractive football and then get our squad fully oiled for the next title winning season, and then really attack the PL. My realistic dream

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 13 Mar 2013 23:36

Royal91
But he wants to take Southampton to court to get his money and signing with us would prevent that from happening. Maybe we could get some pre-contract sorted!

No it really would not stop him signing, he has lodged his case and is free to take up employment..

Source, The Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... rtese.html

Adkins will face Cortese, the Southampton executive chairman, in court this summer after failing to reach an agreement over the terms of his exit, following his controversial dismissal in January.

The 48 year-old guided Southampton from League One to the top flight with successive promotions but was sacked with the club three points clear of the relegation zone.

Adkins, who is being represented by the League Managers’ Association, attempted to settle the dispute with Cortese amicably but has been unable to finalise his pay-off and is now taking legal action over what he believes to be a breach of contract.

Adkins is free to work again now the process has started and is understood to be keen on making a swift return to management.

Huddersfield Town were interested in speaking to him earlier this year after the sacking of Simon Grayson but Adkins was still negotiating with his old club and was effectively on gardening leave. But he has been cleared to return and could be in the frame to take over at Reading, who parted company with Brian McDermott on Monday.

Royal Rebel

by Royal Rebel » 13 Mar 2013 23:44

I like Adkins. Seems a man of integrity (like Brian ?). Certainly would seem to be a better "Reading" fit than a certain right wing Italian.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 14 Mar 2013 00:24

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2292973/Paolo-Di-Canio-unwanted-Reading-players.html

This is the best bit of news to come out of the club in a long while.....

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 14 Mar 2013 00:28

Caskeys Lovechild http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2292973/Paolo-Di-Canio-unwanted-Reading-players.html

This is the best bit of news to come out of the club in a long while.....

Only because he might require them to put a shift in

PeteH1985

by PeteH1985 » 14 Mar 2013 01:03

2 world wars, 1 world cup I know he's not coming but just to stop Reading fans talking sh*t, lets take back some of the BS about Di Canio.

The player who-

Rather than scoring a goal decided to catch the ball and stop play because the opposition keeper was injured

The manager who-

Offered to spend £30000 of his own money to pay for players wages the board couldn't afford

Stays up all night allegedly clearing the ground of snow so his side could play the next day, buying pizza for fans who helped him out.

--

The guy's a nutter yes, but it works both ways. And if anyone thinks doing a Nazi salute means you're a racist you don't understand racism. There are more fans clearly bitterly racist on this very forum and even in my civilised educated place of work than some eccentric guy who does a few silly things.

Just in defence of the loon, in case he ever does join us.

The pizza, snow clearing Nutter is a self confessed racist and is in the middle of a disciplinary with the fa for racially abusing his own player and the players there are testifying to this.
A nazi salute does not make you racist but is very ill judged, insensitive and down right irresponsible. I don't want a man who does that to manage my team.
Also read up on the Italian fascist party he is a ember of; it makes the BNP seem like a bunch of lefties

DON'T BACK THE GUY HE'S AN IRRESPONSIBLE LOVEABLE NUTTER

PeteH1985

by PeteH1985 » 14 Mar 2013 01:07

72 bus
Royal91

No it really would not stop him signing, he has lodged his case and is free to take up employment..

Source, The Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... rtese.html

Adkins will face Cortese, the Southampton executive chairman, in court this summer after failing to reach an agreement over the terms of his exit, following his controversial dismissal in January.

The 48 year-old guided Southampton from League One to the top flight with successive promotions but was sacked with the club three points clear of the relegation zone.

Adkins, who is being represented by the League Managers’ Association, attempted to settle the dispute with Cortese amicably but has been unable to finalise his pay-off and is now taking legal action over what he believes to be a breach of contract.

Adkins is free to work again now the process has started and is understood to be keen on making a swift return to management.

Huddersfield Town were interested in speaking to him earlier this year after the sacking of Simon Grayson but Adkins was still negotiating with his old club and was effectively on gardening leave. But he has been cleared to return and could be in the frame to take over at Reading, who parted company with Brian McDermott on Monday.

NOW THIS IS GREAT NEWS, we aren't going to get RDM so let's get Adkins before Huddersfield do.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Mar 2013 01:08

Only thing concrete so far is that TBM has notched up yet another potential colossus. A while to go yet before we hit 262 pages of the TSI thread tho.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 14 Mar 2013 01:28

Broxroyal
No disrespect Libertine, but that is the American business way of doing things. I worked for an American company years ago and my boss saw his own job advertised in the newspaper. Then he knew the writing was on the wall; - nice chap too.

An American thing, huh? No, I was thinking more like a Swansea City thing (as much as I hate them I am impressed with the team they built). The owners there had a plan, they brought Brendan in and he got them promoted. Once there they continued to improve and add the players who fit into their style/vision. Once Brendan jumped ship they hired little heralded at the time Michael Laudrup, who shared the same vision that the team has and Brendan had, and kept on bringing in players (and even better ones) who fit with their style. Now they won their first major trophy in 100 years and have an outside chance at a European spot. Impressive, even if I still hate the f'ing pcunts...

That is what I call having a plan. But if you want to characterize my opinion as "an American thing" to try to (politely) tell me I don't "know" what I am talking about feel free. But Swansea City seem to "know" what they are doing...

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 14 Mar 2013 01:56

Libertine
Broxroyal
No disrespect Libertine, but that is the American business way of doing things. I worked for an American company years ago and my boss saw his own job advertised in the newspaper. Then he knew the writing was on the wall; - nice chap too.

An American thing, huh? No, I was thinking more like a Swansea City thing (as much as I hate them I am impressed with the team they built). The owners there had a plan, they brought Brendan in and he got them promoted. Once there they continued to improve and add the players who fit into their style/vision. Once Brendan jumped ship they hired little heralded at the time Michael Laudrup, who shared the same vision that the team has and Brendan had, and kept on bringing in players (and even better ones) who fit with their style. Now they won their first major trophy in 100 years and have an outside chance at a European spot. Impressive, even if I still hate the f'ing pcunts...

That is what I call having a plan. But if you want to characterize my opinion as "an American thing" to try to (politely) tell me I don't "know" what I am talking about feel free. But Swansea City seem to "know" what they are doing...

Your missing the point here, all of Swansea city's recent managers since Roberto Martinez installed their playing philosophy, with the exception of paulo Sousa who left by mutual consent AKA sacked, have chosen to leave of their own accord.
That is very different to courting another manager before you have sacked your incumbent manager.

Apologies if you have not been following football all that long and are struggling to keep up

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 14 Mar 2013 02:09

72 bus
Libertine
Broxroyal

Your missing the point here, all of Swansea city's recent managers since Roberto Martinez installed their playing philosophy, with the exception of paulo Sousa who left by mutual consent AKA sacked, have chosen to leave of their own accord.
That is very different to courting another manager before you have sacked your incumbent manager.

Apologies if you have not been following football all that long and are struggling to keep up

LOL! No the point isn't the courting a new manager before you sack the current one. It is about having a plan and continuing with that plan even if a manager leaves, or is sacked. I doubt they had Laudrup lined up before hand just in case Rodgers jumped ship. But once Rodgers did leave they took their time, looked around and found someone who would seemlessly fit in with what they were trying to do there.

Do keep up? LOL! That one wasn't as polite as Broxroyal's put down. :lol:

We were told TSI had a "5 year plan" to get us to being a top half Premier League club. I see no plan, just shambles...

So this has nothing to do with firing Brian and not having an immediate replacement in place. This is more focusing on what they do from here on out.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 14 Mar 2013 02:29

Libertine I see no plan, just shambles...

I am with you there

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict

by Libertine » 14 Mar 2013 02:37

Glad to hear it... :D

That is why I am hoping they don't just rush out and hire a manager from the pool of the "usual suspects" just to get another manager in quick. I'd prefer they put some thought into this and hire someone with the same (stated) philosophy that the rest of the front office has in terms of how the team is going to be set up...instead of bringing in players who do not fit into the prefered style of the manager (like Guthrie and Carrico when Brian was manager) and whom end up contributing very little (or nothing) to the results on the pitch, and end up hurting the team when their attitudes become poor when not played.

Maria Kr.

by Maria Kr. » 14 Mar 2013 04:19

I've got no time to read through this and other threads to see if this stat has been mentioned, just read it in the Icelandic media and thought I'd share, an abysmal president though it may be.

No team in the bottom three in the Prem who's swapped managers after Feb 1st has been able to save themselves from the drop (Reading being the 10th such occurrence). Attilo Lombardo (Crystal Palace 1998), Kevin Ball (Sunderland 2006), Alan Shearer (Newcastle 2009), Ian Dowie (Hull 2010) and Terry Connor (Wolves 2012) are among the managers who've tried previously, Terry Connor wasn't even able to win a single match of the thirteen he had.

http://www.mbl.is/sport/enski/2013/03/1 ... fallsaeti/

2614 posts