Dolan Press Conference

Divvy

Re: Dolan Press Conference

by Divvy » 14 Mar 2013 18:37

Royal Lady He has nothing to lose, he's selling his share this year isn't he? I'd have thought a lot of him if he'd just made some sort of statement thanking Brian for everything he had achieved for the club thus far, after all, he appointed him. Maybe he's been gagged by AZ and his cronies.

I expect so. Yes, he sells the final 49% around October I think is what is agreed. Then he has the choice of staying on as President (think that's right?), although I wonder if he'll accept that. The club is slowly moving in the direction AZ wants (off field for now), and it will clash with what SJM believes in, so I expect there's quite a lot of disagreement behind the scenes.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 15 Mar 2013 12:24

Get Reading said that Dolan has been in touch with BM about this weekends team selection. :|

Think for yourself! We may as well had kept Brian in a job until this weekend if we're still picking his team and tactics. :roll:

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 15 Mar 2013 12:33

SPARTA Get Reading said that Dolan has been in touch with BM about this weekends team selection. :|

Think for yourself! We may as well had kept Brian in a job until this weekend if we're still picking his team and tactics. :roll:

And if Anton has any sense this will be his first and last game in charge after reading that.

I would be very surprised if that has gone down well with our new owner, makes Anton look a bit of a fool if Brian still has some input after being sacked by him.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 15 Mar 2013 12:41

Well the rest of the football world thinks he's a fool anyway so it doesn't matter what Dolan said.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Mar 2013 12:58

Royal Lady For someone who used to like the attention of both the fans and the media, Sir John has been very very quiet. No little tribute to Brian - nothing. Maybe he wasn't really consulted on this - with TSI owning 51% they can more or less ride roughshod over SJM and there's not a thing he can do about it.

I do think if we appoint Dolan until the end of the season it's daft and we might as well have kept Brian on but AZ could have taken him to one side and said, if we go down, I'm going to suggest we part by mutual consent. At least McD would have known where he stood - if he didn't like it, he could have resigned. The players might have given one more push to stay up - but if some of us are a bit down at this situation, imagine how the players feel....

There's no point keeping him on if they've decided that a) he's got no hope of keeping the side up because he's not made any progress in the time given and the team need something different and/or b) he's not the man for the long term direction they want to take the club in.

The ideal scenario is that the next manager gets the last 4 or 5 games to assess the squad and then really gets to work on the rebuild. In the meantime the change of manager now might just, and it's very unlikely, give the squad an impetus to get a few results that really didn't look likely with McDermott in charge.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 15 Mar 2013 13:09

You'd hope, even though Dolan had a close relationship with BM, that he would grasp this opportunity with both hands and be his own man, and try and earn the right to take the job full-time. Not speak to BM every day for advice, and team selection guidance... The sooner we appoint someone the better.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 15 Mar 2013 13:46

If my Senior manager sacked my line manager then found out I was phoning him for advice because I was not up to making my own decisions then I would probably be the next one out of the door.
He is making his boss (Anton) look like a right prat

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Mar 2013 14:17

SPARTA Get Reading said that Dolan has been in touch with BM about this weekends team selection. :|

"Don't forget the two midfielders who crucial to getting us promoted and, whatever you do, don't pick that Geordie w*nker"!

sandman Well the rest of the football world thinks he's a fool anyway so it doesn't matter what Dolan said.

Incorrect! Only those who inhabit the strange planet that you appear to have moved to after AZ did what 99%+ chairman would have done either now or a lot earlier.

Nomad_Royal

by Nomad_Royal » 15 Mar 2013 16:10

RoyalBlue

"Don't forget the two midfielders who crucial to getting us promoted and, whatever you do, don't pick that Geordie w*nker"!

sandman Well the rest of the football world thinks he's a fool anyway so it doesn't matter what Dolan said.

Incorrect! Only those who inhabit the strange planet that you appear to have moved to after AZ did what 99%+ chairman would have done either now or a lot earlier.

Not at all, plenty of commentators have made the point that it was foolish to make the change now.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 15 Mar 2013 17:53

Jay o/
No Hoops Interesting he has spoken to him every day though.

"Hi Brian, so what would you do at United?"

"Drop Guthrie, he's a bad'un. Carrico too. Say they're injured, it worked for me.

:lol:

Guthrie not travelled to Manchester, he has a knee injury.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 15 Mar 2013 18:10

For the benefit of RoyalBlue:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2293893/Manchester-United-manager-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-criticises-Reading-sacking-Brian-McDermott.html

I've seen several people saying that they didn't really care about us before but are now hoping we get relegated because the owner "deserves it". Of course your opinion is always the right one and everybody thinks the same as you.
Last edited by sandman on 15 Mar 2013 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Mar 2013 18:12

Has a fellow manager ever come out and said sacking one of his colleagues was the right thing to do?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Mar 2013 18:51

Royal Lady
Ian Royal
Royal Lady For someone who used to like the attention of both the fans and the media, Sir John has been very very quiet. No little tribute to Brian - nothing. Maybe he wasn't really consulted on this - with TSI owning 51% they can more or less ride roughshod over SJM and there's not a thing he can do about it.

I do think if we appoint Dolan until the end of the season it's daft and we might as well have kept Brian on but AZ could have taken him to one side and said, if we go down, I'm going to suggest we part by mutual consent. At least McD would have known where he stood - if he didn't like it, he could have resigned. The players might have given one more push to stay up - but if some of us are a bit down at this situation, imagine how the players feel....

Why would the media want to speak to him? He's not the caretaker, and he's not the one in charge who made the decision. SJM will do the club management talking when Anton's out the country and unavailable. But the guy was here to make the decision and do the interviews so he did.

What interviews are you talking about? Do you mean AZ then?

And SJM is still, technically, the chairman. Do you really not find it odd that he's not made any comment whatsoever - not even a little tribute to Brian? :|

Well we're talking about the sacking of McDermott and his replacement. So the people the media will want to talk to are:
1) The man who made the decision and called the shots
2) the man who got sacked
3) the man who's taken over
1) the man who'll be appointing the next manager.

None of those are Madejski. The club makes a statement, not individuals associated with the club. They're not interested in Howe, Samuelson, Wood-Smith, Hammond, Halarbi, Bibbo or the tea lady and we haven't had statements from them either. There is no reason for the media to seek Madejski out. There is no reason for him to seek out the media. The interviews are being done by Anton, because it's his club now and he's the man in charge.

It's really not a difficult concept you seem to be struggling with. But then you seem to want to see conspiracy theories everywhere you look so I'm not surprised.

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 15 Mar 2013 20:51

leicsRoyal
Jay o/
No Hoops Interesting he has spoken to him every day though.

"Hi Brian, so what would you do at United?"

"Drop Guthrie, he's a bad'un. Carrico too. Say they're injured, it worked for me.

:lol:

Guthrie not travelled to Manchester, he has a knee injury.

Neither have travelled. :roll: :lol: I was gunna say you couldn't make it up, but...

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 15 Mar 2013 20:57

Hoop Blah Has a fellow manager ever come out and said sacking one of his colleagues was the right thing to do?

This isn't just any "fellow manager" though is it?

Good to see you're finally off that fence that you like to sit on though.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Mar 2013 20:58

Sir Alex only said a week or two ago, that reading would be mad to get rid of Brian.

Like, what does he know?

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 15 Mar 2013 21:09

AthleticoSpizz Sir Alex only said a week or two ago, that reading would be mad to get rid of Brian.

Like, what does he know?

He also said he could have understood us sacking him in Dec or Jan, with a transfer window, but not this late. To be honest, we were never going to turn a corner this season, and with too many fall-outs already, a fresh start is probably best for a lot of the team. Who knows? We move on. I just hope we appoint Adkins. We can't be taking risks on Dolan, familiar or not, or a Parky.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 15 Mar 2013 22:06

SPARTA You'd hope, even though Dolan had a close relationship with BM, that he would grasp this opportunity with both hands and be his own man, and try and earn the right to take the job full-time. Not speak to BM every day for advice, and team selection guidance... The sooner we appoint someone the better.

My thoughts exactly. Very uninspiring and he reminded me of McD alot, which isnt really what we need. Surely we sacked McD and the other coaching staff to change the way the team plays? Thats not going to happen with a youth team manager who was living in McDs pocket in charge. Admittedly, I wasnt disappointed that McD got sacked, but I did think that if we did sack him then we would at least have a suitable replacement lined up to come straight in. What is the point of Dolan being in charge at all? If he is in charge till the end of the season then the obvious guess is we are even more doomed than we already were. But then again, miracles do happen.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 15 Mar 2013 22:48

Hence the expression, "be careful what you wish for" perhaps?

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 16 Mar 2013 07:36

sandman
Hoop Blah Has a fellow manager ever come out and said sacking one of his colleagues was the right thing to do?

This isn't just any "fellow manager" though is it?

Good to see you're finally off that fence that you like to sit on though.

The same idiot that said Robin van Persie could have been KILLED by a football on the pitch. :roll: