Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

2614 posts
Eaststandman

Re: Next Reading Manager

by Eaststandman » 22 Mar 2013 07:31

Remember the heady days when we laughed at the events at Sid James Park, now thanks to an ill timed and reactionary sacking of BMc and the inertia of the board/owners we are reveling in the Mad, Mad, Mad Madworldski of alternative Russian comedy, pass the potato vodka tovaritch! :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :?

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 22 Mar 2013 07:44

I don't get why people say this is embarrassing?

We sacked a manager because he couldn't motivate his team to beat Wigan and Villa after a season of mistakes (genuinely rate the guy though) and we have put a decent interim in charge to see if he can change things. Seeing as we need a near miracle I don't see how we are in a worse position?

We then interview one guy, we place the parameters, he says no, and it's on to another candidate. There's nothing embarrassing about going up to a girl in a bar only to find out she's a gold digger/doesn't like your accent/isn't actually single!

Adkins is a solid choice, but he wouldn't be mine. I am one of those obsessed with finding a manager who changes our playing style and for that I would love the Enrique link to be true. Whatever happens, I like the way Anton is going about things.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 22 Mar 2013 08:08

Cos if Poyet was our number 1 then the rest are gonna be "less profiled"

So basically not better than what we had

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 22 Mar 2013 08:16

blueroyals
Royal91
Scutterbucketz Personally, I think we're going to "do a Wolves."

Wolves collapsed because of cost saving and losing all their big names.

We are not skint and none of our players will be leaving apart from Pog, Guthrie and Pearce

Whoooooosh

No whooooosh required. I was being serious.

I don't mean we'll get relegated next year but now that we've gone for someone and they've rejected us, it's going to be difficult to get a high calibre manager in. I hope it's not true, but no one likes being 2nd choice, which is why Adkins is no longer interested.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 22 Mar 2013 08:17

Already stated how underwhelmed I was at the thought of Poyet coming here so not unhappy at all with this news. The bloke spent big and failed to be more than mid table. For the money he was spending at B&MA he should have got them promoted.

and all this 'tiki-taka' rubbish. turn it in. We didn't play the most attractive of football but lol @ anyone who thought Brighton did

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Mar 2013 08:31

soggy biscuit Already stated how underwhelmed I was at the thought of Poyet coming here so not unhappy at all with this news. The bloke spent big and failed to be more than mid table. For the money he was spending at B&MA he should have got them promoted.

and all this 'tiki-taka' rubbish. turn it in. We didn't play the most attractive of football but lol @ anyone who thought Brighton did

How many times have you seen Brighton play?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 22 Mar 2013 08:32

PistolPete I don't get why people say this is embarrassing?

We sacked a manager because he couldn't motivate his team to beat Wigan and Villa after a season of mistakes (genuinely rate the guy though) and we have put a decent interim in charge to see if he can change things. Seeing as we need a near miracle I don't see how we are in a worse position?

We then interview one guy, we place the parameters, he says no, and it's on to another candidate. There's nothing embarrassing about going up to a girl in a bar only to find out she's a gold digger/doesn't like your accent/isn't actually single!

Adkins is a solid choice, but he wouldn't be mine. I am one of those obsessed with finding a manager who changes our playing style and for that I would love the Enrique link to be true. Whatever happens, I like the way Anton is going about things.

Indeed, won't stop this place going into paranoia overdrive as the day goes on though...

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 22 Mar 2013 08:33

The decision to sack Brian is looking more shambolic by the hour, and it looked pretty shambolic to start with.

No successor lined up and now, apparently, declined by our two main targets leaving an untried caretaker completely out of his depth in charge, probably to the end of the season at least. It is not hard to see why people draw comparisons with Wolves and I suspect we will follow their example by struggling to gain any more points this season. We would not have stayed up under Brian either by this is leaving us in a complete mess looking forward to next season too.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Mar 2013 08:35

paultheroyal
RoyalTank WE WANT ADKINS AND WHEN DO WE WANT HIM? NOW!!!!

Not getting him according to RL. She knows everything about RFC i have you know!!! :roll:

Do point out where I said that - YOU said we were signing him in next couple of days and they've long passed. That's all.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 22 Mar 2013 08:38

Schards#2 The decision to sack Brian is looking more shambolic by the hour, and it looked pretty shambolic to start with.

No successor lined up and now, apparently, declined by our two main targets leaving an untried caretaker completely out of his depth in charge, probably to the end of the season at least. It is not hard to see why people draw comparisons with Wolves and I suspect we will follow their example by struggling to gain any more points this season. We would not have stayed up under Brian either by this is leaving us in a complete mess looking forward to next season too.

It's only March :lol:

Like I said...paranoia overdrive.

We just tried very hard to get our number 1 target, who (for reasons beyond our control) turned it down. Now we move on to our second choice. Our next game isn't for another 8 days, and even then it's a game that is completely unwinnable.

Meanwhile it's 5 months until the start of next season so I think we've still got plenty of time in that regard...

Chill the fook out guys.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 22 Mar 2013 08:45

winchester_royal
We just tried very hard to get our number 1 target, who (for reasons beyond our control) turned it down. Now we move on to our second choice.

Awesome! It's January transfer window all over again. My life has been missing some (ultimately) unfulfilling excitement!

TTC

by TTC » 22 Mar 2013 08:45

I don't mean we'll get relegated next year but now that we've gone for someone and they've rejected us, it's going to be difficult to get a high calibre manager in. I hope it's not true, but no one likes being 2nd choice, which is why Adkins is no longer interested.[/quote]

Is that official that Adkins isn't interested?

And regarding the poyet thing- For all we know Poyet wasn't offered the job, he was just interviewed, as was Adkins and other candidates. The club had to agree a settlement for Poyet prior to interviewing him. If he wasn't interested, why did he bother getting interviewed? I think the press are speculating on the betting patterns rather than on fact- Shock!

Also, Never believe what skysports speculate, remember they are also a bookmaker- wonder how much money they've clawed from ill informed speculation over the years.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Mar 2013 08:49

11 March 2013
paultheroyal Spotted on the M4 services at around 5pm. Waiting for the dust to settle before being announced as new manager in the next 48 hours.

:| THAT'S why I'm questioning you Paultheroyal.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 22 Mar 2013 09:15

TTC
Also, Never believe what skysports speculate, remember they are also a bookmaker- wonder how much money they've clawed from ill informed speculation over the years.

Or by being able to manipulate the markets by having their own Sports news channel to spread misinformation and pure speculation.
Sky should not be allowed to be a bookmaker in the same way that the punters are not allowed to benefit from insider information

TTC

by TTC » 22 Mar 2013 09:18

72 bus
TTC

Or by being able to manipulate the markets by having their own Sports news channel to spread misinformation and pure speculation.
Sky should not be allowed to be a bookmaker in the same way that the punters are not allowed to benefit from insider information

Agreed.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 22 Mar 2013 09:19

TTC ....

And regarding the poyet thing- For all we know Poyet wasn't offered the job, he was just interviewed, as was Adkins and other candidates. The club had to agree a settlement for Poyet prior to interviewing him. If he wasn't interested, why did he bother getting interviewed? I think the press are speculating on the betting patterns rather than on fact- Shock!

Same reasons Brian's people spoke to Wolves a year ago - to make sure his current employers appreciate his value to them and reflect it in his contract terms.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Mar 2013 09:24

There's no way the club will admit they've made a mistake and get McD back and why would he want to come back, when he knew that there were 2 people we were after, both of which appear to have turned us down and we're stuck looking for someone else now.

I suspect Dolan will get the job until the end of the season. But whether, if relegated, we manage to attract the type of manager we need to turn us around, assuming they're given enough money to do so, is another matter. There is a chance for real glory for Dolan if he's kept on til end of season and he somehow manages to keep us up - but if that happened, I still don't think we should install him as permanent manager - we still need someone who is used to to managing a top level Champ or PL team imo.

Or just bring in Ginola and be done with it. I'll be there home and away, come rain or shine if he were managing us. :wink:

Jano

by Jano » 22 Mar 2013 09:38

Ginola would certainly get us playing...

TTC

by TTC » 22 Mar 2013 09:38

Alexander Litvinenko
TTC ....

Same reasons Brian's people spoke to Wolves a year ago - to make sure his current employers appreciate his value to them and reflect it in his contract terms.

Poyet already done that with Wolves last year, got him a new contract. Just heard he's been on holiday this week, so he's not been interviewed if that's the case.

Would we really offer him the job if Zinga hadn't even met/interviewed him? No. It's more media bullshit in my opinion.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 22 Mar 2013 09:39

Hammond was tasked with identifying six candidates and to recommend a short list of three from those six.
Who was the third candidate ?

2614 posts