Biggest Managerial Appointment In Our History?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Biggest Managerial Appointment In Our History?

by Royal Lady » 27 Mar 2013 11:10

Coppell was by far the biggest managerial appointment in our history. Not only for what he managed to achieve but also for the fact that he was the bigger name, ex Man Utd and England player. Plus I love him. :wink:

trueroyal1871

by trueroyal1871 » 27 Mar 2013 11:42

Caskeys Lovechild Less Premier League experience than the man we've just sacked = not overly impressive CV.....
Spent £25million more - scored 1 point more in the time at Southampton in the Premier League = not overly impressive CV....

Is it that difficult to understand?

You really haven't got a fucking clue about football. Look m8 Brian's gone and he's not coming back, if you want to watch that ugly long ball shit you so dearly love why don't you do us all a favour and fuck off and support some lower league shit like Oxford, Wycombe or Aldershot.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 27 Mar 2013 11:46

Dwarfed by the Charlie Hurley appointment.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 27 Mar 2013 11:47

trueroyal1871
Caskeys Lovechild Less Premier League experience than the man we've just sacked = not overly impressive CV.....
Spent £25million more - scored 1 point more in the time at Southampton in the Premier League = not overly impressive CV....

You really haven't got a fucking clue about football. Look m8 Brian's gone and he's not coming back, if you want to watch that ugly long ball shit you so dearly love why don't you do us all a favour and fuck off and support some lower league shit like Oxford, Wycombe or Aldershot.

:roll: :|

trueroyal1871

by trueroyal1871 » 27 Mar 2013 11:56

melonhead
trueroyal1871

:roll: :|

It's true though Brendy he's one of the biggest helmets on this interspaz forum with his tongue so far up McDermott's arse he can't see just how shit the football was that he had the team play.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 27 Mar 2013 12:11

football has been pretty poor for most of the season. though not all of it
& im not having that this is how mcdermott wanted to play, or would prefer to play.

its not a huge amount to ask to have a bit of fucvking respect for the man who took us to wembley and the premiere league, and understand that the team wasnt good enoughh, and we didnt spend enough on it for whatever reason.

people going on like adkins is guardiola and brian was boddy gould, need to get a grip.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 27 Mar 2013 12:13

Biggest name manager we've brought to the club before they've managed a game?

Steve Coppell is still the biggest name manager we brought to the club, and his time here also makes him the clubs most successful manager as well.

Second to that then yes, I would say it's Adkins, then Burns (in recent times).

Previous successes don't always mean a successful future though, as Tommy Burns (RIP) found out.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 27 Mar 2013 12:23

winchester_royal I think when you combine the appointment with the vision that Anton has sold Nige to convince him to join it certainly spells the beginning of a hugely important period for the club. We have a chance over the next couple of years, most likely in the Championship, to combine a promising academy bunch with some quality signings to develop what could prove to be a core of an established PL team for years to come. It could of course go the other way and we could overspend and underachieve, but in Adkins I think we have a guy who will be able to make us competitive at whatever level we're playing at. Big couple of years ahead. We needed someone that Anton trusted to invest in, someone who would develop a 'brand' of football that will attract more fans to the club, and someone who the fans would get behind. I believe we have that person in charge now, and can't wait to see what the next 12 months bring. He'll need patience though, and I just hope he gets it.

Biggest appointment in our history? Only time will tell. Most important and exciting era of this fair club's long history coming up? I certainly think so.

Bring it on.

Yes, Yes, YES.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 27 Mar 2013 12:25

melonhead football has been pretty poor for most of the season. though not all of it
& im not having that this is how mcdermott wanted to play, or would prefer to play.

its not a huge amount to ask to have a bit of fucvking respect for the man who took us to wembley and the premiere league, and understand that the team wasnt good enoughh, and we didnt spend enough on it for whatever reason.

people going on like adkins is guardiola and brian was boddy gould, need to get a grip.

Brian was great for us and everything he did makes him a reading legend, he will always be highly respected in my book. however, times change and we werent playing sustainable football that could keep us competitive in the premier league and brian showed no signs of changing the style of play, or being able to handle anything in the premier league. if anton wants to establish this club as a midtable side in the future he had to make the devastating decision to sack brian and hire a manager who could change the necessary requirements needed in order to do so. i dont think anybody here except for maybe less than 10% of people dont have the utmost respect for brian and are thankful for what he is done. everyone else has realized the need for us to move on and accepted the necessary change.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 27 Mar 2013 12:28

he did change the style of play numerous times throughout his time here, when personell allowed.

this season the players werent good enough, and club didnt spend enough money to get better players in.
thats the fault of the club, owner, manager and director of football.
oxf*rd all to do with style or tactics or formations

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 27 Mar 2013 12:33

melonhead he did change the style of play numerous times throughout his time here, when personell allowed.

this season the players werent good enough, and club didnt spend enough money to get better players in.

:lol:

trueroyal1871

by trueroyal1871 » 27 Mar 2013 12:39

melonhead football has been pretty poor for most of the season. though not all of it

Don't get me wrong I'm very grateful and respect him what he achieved and also think he's a top bloke but in my opinion he was never the right man to take the club forward in the long term. We played a lot shit football last season and the season before, yes we won the league but we didn't play good football. We had an amazing run of results and our momentum took us over the line but if that run never happened we would have been lucky to finish in the play-offs.

trueroyal1871

by trueroyal1871 » 27 Mar 2013 12:42

melonhead he did change the style of play numerous times throughout his time here, when personell allowed.

I would say it was a combination of all of that and the style of football and tactics. In summary this season has been a shambles all around.

I'll still try and enjoy what's left of it though and look forward to next season whatever division we're in.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Mar 2013 13:04

When confidence is down after a run of defeats we stop doing the things we're good at and go more long ball, same happens with any team. The way we played against Sunderland after some good results was the way Brian's style should be played i.e. positive wing play, direct but mixing it up with sharp passing as well.

When we had Gylfi we played in a different formation than we do now and a different style where we played more through our talented attacking midfielder. Brian was the one who spotted that we needed to build the team around him and if we'd have kept him and Long I think you'd have seen a slightly different Reading team develop over the last few years.
Last edited by sandman on 27 Mar 2013 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

bradleylewsrfc

by bradleylewsrfc » 27 Mar 2013 13:11

Considering how we played against Manure, under Dolan, it's clear that a passing game brings more control to our play and in turn more control of our fate. There were rare times of efficient passing and wing play under Brian but I still don't think that there was enough. Also, didn't Dolan use more or less the same team Brian used against Villa?

Osborns scoop

by Osborns scoop » 27 Mar 2013 13:25

Erm, surely most CVs would include more detail than merely the last 8 months? :roll:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 27 Mar 2013 15:20

sandman When confidence is down after a run of defeats we stop doing the things we're good at and go more long ball, same happens with any team. The way we played against Sunderland after some good results was the way Brian's style should be played i.e. positive wing play, direct but mixing it up with sharp passing as well.

When we had Gylfi we played in a different formation than we do now and a different style where we played more through our talented attacking midfielder. Brian was the one who spotted that we needed to build the team around him and if we'd have kept him and Long I think you'd have seen a slightly different Reading team develop over the last few years.

agreed

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 27 Mar 2013 15:21

trueroyal1871

Don't get me wrong I'm very grateful and respect him what he achieved and also think he's a top bloke but in my opinion he was never the right man to take the club forward in the long term. We played a lot shit football last season and the season before, yes we won the league but we didn't play good football. We had an amazing run of results and our momentum took us over the line but if that run never happened we would have been lucky to finish in the play-offs.

LOL!

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 27 Mar 2013 15:58

The whole Brian had a "lucky run" argument is a bit flawed by the 2 previous seasons... And you can't play passing football when your teams not good enough to keep the ball.

Adkins CV is definitely more impressive than Brian's if you are looking to get out of League 1, but in our position its very like for like. Yet in itself that is an improvement, previously the likes of McGhee and Pardew (and almost McDermott) jumped ship when they could.

So I agree with the OP, its a sign of how far we have come that we are a better choice than Leeds or Blackburn and that the likes of Leicester, Boro and Wolves, who have always been much bigger clubs, are no bigger/better than us.

In response to the Brian lovers can go watch Poxford comment...hopefully it will all end badly and we'll be watching some proper footy from League 1/2 terraces with the Royals in administration and the advocates of pretty passing football can f**K off and support their premierleague /la liga team on sky sports again! :lol: