Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
Kingsley Junior

Re: Today I woke up with the overwhelming feeling that...

by Kingsley Junior » 02 Apr 2013 19:11

I woke up today with this feeling that better things are coming my way, and if the sunshine has a meaning it's telling me not to let things get in my way...

I knew watching the Big Reunion was a mistake.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 02 Apr 2013 19:20

Royal Monk Today i have an overwhelming feeling that you need bashing with a twatting stick

:lol: That might do the trick.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Apr 2013 19:54

Today I realised if Leeds get McDermott he'll get sacked twice in town seasons with them playing dire football.

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 02 Apr 2013 20:02

..supporting QPR is infinitely worse than us. They are in BIG BIG do do next season and It is making our plight look a little less of a worry.

I really want our remaining points ( if we get any ) to be against them. :mrgreen:

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 02 Apr 2013 20:24

Winnershroyal ..supporting QPR is infinitely worse than us. They are in BIG BIG do do next season and It is making our plight look a little less of a worry.

I really want our remaining points ( if we get any ) to be against them. :mrgreen:

That very much depends on the whims of their Billionaire owners I guess. They might decide just to suck it up, that squad- even with a few departures- will walk the Championship with Harry 'I can't spell or do numbers' Redknapp in charge.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 02 Apr 2013 20:31

...RL has a mangina

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 02 Apr 2013 20:36

I think you have to remember that Lakshmi Mittal and Tony Fernandes make Gold and Sullivan (of West Ham) look like Pawn Merchants in comparison to their combined wealth! (every pun intended!)

So if they have the will then they can easily bankroll a desperado season in the Chump next year.

Let's just hope if they do, they keep Samba on the wageroll!

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 02 Apr 2013 21:27

winchester_royal ...RL has a mangina

I've just had to put on the Mighty Boosh Old Gregg episode after reading that haha.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Apr 2013 21:35

Will Brian make us pay at some point - yes it's probable we'll come across some of his sides and will be beaten at least once.

Should we have sacked him? This has been done to death and it's irrelevant now.

I was against his sacking but it's done now and in Adkins we definitely have a top manager, which at the very least is not worse than Brian.

I like Brian a lot and I fear for him that a lot of his success may have been due to him knowing the players well through his long time here and that he won't be so lucky at other clubs where he will be starting from scratch, and they won't be as patient. I therefore think its more likely that Adkins will do better than Brian generally but that's just a guess.

Divvy

by Divvy » 02 Apr 2013 21:41

2 world wars, 1 world cup I like Brian a lot and I fear for him that a lot of his success may have been due to him knowing the players well through his long time here and that he won't be so lucky at other clubs where he will be starting from scratch, and they won't be as patient. I therefore think its more likely that Adkins will do better than Brian generally but that's just a guess.

I too share the same opinion. I don't think a club like Leeds will be good for him. Their fans aren't very patient. They're all over Warnock for not getting to the play-offs this season. Brian would have to start the season well, and he doesn't generally do that, and he has to get a top six finish straight away. I can't help but feel he has possibly had his best success here, and is unlikely to repeat it elsewhere - just a gut feeling. I think a smaller less expectant club would suit him next, but it's sounding likely it could be one or either Leeds or Leicester next for him.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 02 Apr 2013 21:44

2 world wars, 1 world cup Will Brian make us pay at some point - yes it's probable we'll come across some of his sides and will be beaten at least once.

Should we have sacked him? This has been done to death and it's irrelevant now.

I was against his sacking but it's done now and in Adkins we definitely have a top manager, which at the very least is not worse than Brian.

I like Brian a lot and I fear for him that a lot of his success may have been due to him knowing the players well through his long time here and that he won't be so lucky at other clubs where he will be starting from scratch, and they won't be as patient. I therefore think its more likely that Adkins will do better than Brian generally but that's just a guess.

The fact he has had success at 2 clubs bodes well for us especially given that one of them had no money at all. You're right BM could turn out to be a one club wonder. We'll see. Hope he does well though.

Just want this shite season over with. Nervous for next year but excited that we might actually get a decent midfield in place under Adkins.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 03 Apr 2013 06:35

MmmMonsterMunch ...we shouldn't have sacked Brian & he is going to make us pay next season.

So confused.

For fook sake....now let's have the same discussion that has taken over practically every thread again.

The King is dead, long live the King!

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 03 Apr 2013 07:29

Today i have an overwhelming feeling that waking up to this thread was worse than not waking up at all

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 03 Apr 2013 09:27

MmmMonsterMunch ...we shouldn't have sacked Brian & he is going to make us pay next season.

So confused.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptAbEx0F_lY

friday fan

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by friday fan » 03 Apr 2013 20:45

it is interesting to note on the BBC website that Brian said he spent all the money available to him in January and said perhaps he and Anton had spent more. Suggests he had a poor kitty to use and might explain now the type of signings he made ie Carrico,Blackman and Akapu

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 03 Apr 2013 21:02

friday fan it is interesting to note on the BBC website that Brian said he spent all the money available to him in January and said perhaps he and Anton had spent more. Suggests he had a poor kitty to use and might explain now the type of signings he made ie Carrico,Blackman and Akapu

I find it interesting he spent all the budget he had yet admitted in the press that he had massive bids for Sigurdsson turned down. Is that not a contradiction in itself? He also mentioned in today's interview that he told Adkins 'the owner will back you 100%'.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 03 Apr 2013 21:04

friday fan it is interesting to note on the BBC website that Brian said he spent all the money available to him in January and said perhaps he and Anton had spent more IN THE SUMMER Suggests he had a poor kitty to use and might explain now the type of signings he made ie Carrico,Blackman and Akapu

Corrected for you.

friday fan

by friday fan » 03 Apr 2013 21:06

windimere, fair play thanks or correcting

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 08 Apr 2013 00:56

I will start by saying I have nothing against Adkins. But I hope all of you who wanted Brian sacked for making an odd strange team selection or tactical decision are happy about Saturday. It seemed to me that then both team selection and substitutions were very odd indeed.

In my opinion Brain was a genius at getting the best out of what he had. He would look at the players at his disposal and work out a system to fit that availability. He made 4-2-3-1 work, 4-5-1 work and 4-4-2 work at times. He made 4-2-3-1 work brilliantly in 2010 and then at the end of the season he lost Sigurdsson. In 2011 he rebuilt around Long changing to 4-4-2 and we nearly went up. Again the best players were sold. He rebuilt again and in 2012 we went up far too early - his crime was being too successful too soon.

I am still furious he was sacked. I said when he was that we had lost our one tiny chance of survival with his sacking. He simply got the best out of limited players. Over this season we were seldom thrashed under his guidance.

Adkins totally failed to do that in his first two woeful attempts and we were soundly beaten both games. They were not even close.

Now we will need a completely new squad. I doubt there are more than 4-5 players who can adapt to Adkin’s passing style, so the vast majority will now have to be moved on.

What is the point of this. Brian could have got us promoted again using the same tactics as before and then Anton could have invested massively in the squad - building on what we had. Now it has to be all change as the confidence of these players has been shot to pieces – not least by Brian’s sacking.

I really hope Anton has very deep pockets as he will need them - and a lot of patience if we try and change the way we play. I hope I am wrong but I fear a long stay in the Championship beckons.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 08 Apr 2013 04:41

Get over it

3714 posts